• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M@tt

[non_car] New Mini Project

M@tt

As if i don't have enough things to be getting on with i've decided to make my own sandblasting cabinet on the cheap. After seeing this one online it inspired me to have a go myself.

BC6.jpg

BC5.jpg

BC2.jpg

so after some searching i found a local firm that let me have a drum with clampable lid for free :wub: and i've bought a continuous hinge from Focus for £5.

DSC00092.jpg

DSC00093.jpg

So the next step is to give it a bit of a clean up on the inside, get some cheap gloves from Arco and start making the wooden viewing window and drum mounts

what you reckon?

mickie

very cool

M@tt

just bought some full arm length rubber gaunlets off ebay for £9.30 delivered (cheaper than arco)

29ed_12.JPG

Atari Boy

I will watch this interest Matt, good job although on there own, the gloves look very dodgy :) .

How are you planning do the actual sand blasting part?

Peetypug

What are the dimensions of the drum?

I have one that looks very similar that I use for a bin

Richie

Been watching blue peter? Gloves would look good with a gimp mask. Cool idea though, post your piccies as you go along! Be interesting to see the final result.

feb

Good idea but gloves look dodgy indeed! :)

M@tt

yeah if you type "rubber gauntlets" into ebay you get some very strange results coming back, gag ball anyone?? :)

To start with i'm going to just use on of those syphon pot guns (i've got a cheapy aldi jobbie already) so all i'll need to do is feed an airline into the cabinet (might put a quick release connector on the tank so my external hose can just connect up to it when needed). I think the guy who built the original one pictured at the top just filled the bottom of of the drum with blast media and had the gun sucking it straight up out of that.

It will need some for of air filterto stop the air venting out of it from blowing sand/grit everywhere, I'm thinking an old 8v air filter and housing would proabbaly do the job nicely with a bit of flexible ducting

Pete > The drum is one of thsoe 55 gallon/ ~205l jobbies its about 55cm wide and about 90cm high

EdCherry

Only thing id say is make sure you can remove and replace the viewing window easily! They cloud up and scratch very easy making it impossible to see where/what your blasting LOL!

Love it, cant wait to see it finished.

M@tt

Cheers Ed, yeah the orginal article mentioned the exact same thing, so i'll keep that in mind.

just found these on ebay

a03b_12.JPG

150mm 6" Duct to Wall Connector Hydroponics Vent

which will be perfect for attaching the gauntlets to and securing to the drum, £9.17 delivered for 2 of them

base-1

Fantastic.

jimistdt

Great project this one M@tt, what ballast will you use for it?

Good luck with it. :)

M@tt

I've got some little pots of powder that came with my syphon blast gun but they won't last long i don't think, so i'll probably try and get some from a local blasting place up the road from me.

Edited by M@tt

qwerty

Thats incredible :P

I also will be making one of those ;)

was just going to buy a mini gazebo as my crazy neighbour tried to kill me the other day for covering his plants in shot blasting sand

Fox

What a good Idea!

Keep us updated, I'm interested in making one myself!

miamichris

I built a sand blasting cabinet a while back. I just made mine out of plywood, sort of a large box (about 4 feet long by 2 feet deep) that sits on a stand, with a hinged front so you can lift it up and put parts inside, the front has a big perspex viewing panel as well.

That drum idea is vey clever actually! I'll have to put a photo of mine up sometime, I made the bottom of the box slatted (like hot press shelving, a pallet etc) so the grit can fall through.

Only problem is we bought a small sealey sandblaster, and its been quite sh**e so far :P Can't get it blasting properly yet, the grit doesn't seem to want to feed, I need to do a bit of fiddling with it sometime and get it working! ;)

M@tt

I called into the local dump on the way home and managed to convince the bloke there to let me have a rumage through the fridges there for some wire shelving which i could use as a base to put the blasting items on, not sure if dump raiding officially makes me a pikey now though!! :P

DSC00109.jpg

whilst i was there i noticed that the cooling rack on the back of a fridge/freeze would be perfect to make a single piece bed out of but i didn't have any tools with me so couldn't take one off but might snap up a fridge on freecycle if someone advertises one locally before taking it to the tip myself minus its cooling rack ;)

sonofsam

Cool stuff M@tt, when not in use I would bring it indoors and play some Crystal maze esque games with it :)

24seven
Cool stuff M@tt, when not in use I would bring it indoors and play some Crystal maze esque games with it ;)

;) The image in my head of a grown man playing "crystal maze" with an action man in a sandblasting tub is hilarious.

miamichris
I called into the local dump on the way home and managed to convince the bloke there to let me have a rumage through the fridges there for some wire shelving which i could use as a base to put the blasting items on, not sure if dump raiding officially makes me a pikey now though!! :lol:

"Matt of the dump" :D good work though, I like the way its made from random recycled stuff.

A big bbq grill would work too, or the side chopped out of an old shopping trolley!

miamichris
I called into the local dump on the way home and managed to convince the bloke there to let me have a rumage through the fridges there for some wire shelving which i could use as a base to put the blasting items on, not sure if dump raiding officially makes me a pikey now though!! :lol:

"Matt of the dump" :D good work though, I like the way its made from random recycled stuff.

A big bbq grill would work too, or the side chopped out of an old shopping trolley!

johny105_y2k

will be following this.

great idea

and no it doesn't make you a pikey. a pikey would of just ramraided machine mart for one.

M@tt

right had a bit of a bash on this thisafternoon

checked the fridge Shelves fitted ok - check

DSC00117.jpg

Marked up viewing window location and arm hole positions, added a little pic as i was bored :D

DSC00121.jpg

made a viewing window frame out of MDF, although i might redo it tomorrow as nto completely happy with it

DSC00123.jpg

cut the viewing window hole out, flattenend the edges of the ribbed sections and drilled holes for the screws

DSC00122.jpg

cut the lid and fitted the piano hinge.

DSC00125.jpg

I put a few stitch welds round the bottom section of the lid to secure it to the main drum. This means when the lid clamp isn't on it all still stays inplace

DSC00124.jpg

but overall i'm pretty happy with the progress, more to come late rin the week

jord294

excellent work mate :D

i could do with making one of these myself. shall i just follow this topic or will you be doing a handy step by step booklet or downloadable guide? :D:D

i'm sure a lot of people would be interested. especially knowing where to get materials from

cheers