• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Pob

Engine Issues

Pob
mine coolant temp runs slightly above the third white mark, it's an Mi16 but the sender is the same one

Are you counting the white mark it sits on too?

Thanks,

Dan

richsmells

Welshpug, do you have a part number for the 1.6 Vacuum advance unit please?

Mine must be fairly tired as cruise economy is pretty poor. The car runs and behaves very well otherwise.

welshpug

Pob, what's the temperature like across your radiator? have a feel what it's like where the top hose joins, then across at the other side at the top, and at the bottom where the outlet is, be careful not to burn yourself !

maybe try taking the thermostat out and giving it a run.

Rich, you may not be able to get them from Peugeot any more as some are are marked NFP, but you never know what they have in the warehouse, I'd see if you could find a Bosch/Lucas stockist before going to a dealer.

the 1.6's I think use the following Distributors;

DISTRIBUTOR

BOSCH - 0237009063/076

- XU5JA UNTIL DATE 19891201

BOSCH - 0237009086

- XU5JA SINCE - 1991

and the vacuum advance capsule for them respectively are;

5951 80 0237009063/076 and 5951 A5 0237009086

• Thanks 1

richsmells

Ta very much. There's a garage around here with a Bosch service desk. I'll give them a go when I get some time. :rolleyes:

gti-si

Pob, is the cam timing 100% correct? When you say the pinking is better, you should have ZERO detonation with 99RON and you should be able to advance your timing, not have to retard it. Doesn't sound right to me mate

Edited by gti-si

jengis
Are you counting the white mark it sits on too?

Thanks,

Dan

For me the needle stays between the 4th mark (80 deg?) and the bold 5th mark (90 deg?). 7 marks in total.

Mine is a J plate, not sure if all instrument panels are the same. Hope this helps.

Pob

Thanks for the replies,

When I first got the car there wasn't a stat fitted and it ran cold, about the 2nd bar. Fitted a stat and it runs how it does now... That was the old engine and its the same with this engine.

I checked the cam timing when I put the engine in and both pins fit in the holes.

When I fitted the vac unit and set it slightly advanced as it wasn't pinking on 95Ron.... Took it for a drive and it was pinking heavily. Put some 99Ron in and retarded the dizzy slightly to stop the pinking. I've only drove 2-3 miles so it's probably still on the 95.

I'll check the rad and let you know

Mine will sit on the 4th mark for about 2 miles and then slowly creep upto the 5th Bold line and sit around the 5th line even when cruising at 70 but it won't drop any lower, sometimes it will creep over the 5th and the fan kicks in even at 60-70. When in traffic the temp always creeps above the 5th and the fan kicks in, even at slow speeds aswell it will go above the 5th line.

Thanks,

Dan

Edited by Pob

Pob

Hi all,

I've just checked the radiator.... Half of the radiator is hot and the rest is progressively colder as it gets to the bottom, the bottom being cold

Dan

Pob
Hi all,

I've just checked the radiator.... Half of the radiator is hot and the rest is progressively colder as it gets to the bottom, the bottom being cold

Dan

Do you think the rad is blocked? I always thought that it would have cold spots not basically half of the radiator is hot and the rest is cold....

Thanks,

Dan

M@tt

pop the top and bottom hoses off the rad insert a hosepipe into the top hole and turn it on full blast. It should hopefully blast out any crap accumulated in there

Edited by M@tt

Pob
pop the top and bottom hoses off the rad insert a hosepipe into the top hole and turn it on full blast. It should hopefully blast out any crap accumulated in there

Hi all,

I removed the radiator today and rinsed it out with a hose, quite a bit of rusty crap came out. The whole of the radiator gets hot now, but i'm not sure if it's working properly. Should it be hotter at the top than the bottom? The fan didn't come on, but it was close a few times, got to the 4th mark. At 70 it sits just below the 4th mark, at 50 it will sit just above the 3rd mark

Is this right or does it sound like the rad is nackard

Thanks,

Dan

Pob

Right... done a bit of tinkering since my last post.

Fitted a new ally rad and it doesn't get too hot anymore! Yay :P But still it doesn't sound right.... I'm pretty sure it's not suppose to be so noisy. I've cleaned a old spray bar I had laying around, fitted new o-rings but no difference :lol:

I don't think it's tappets, you carn't hear it while driving at speed 50+ The ticking does get louder under low down acceleration. i.e Acclerate in 2nd at 1500rpm. The clearances seem fine. Could it be oil stravation? How could I check this?

I'm all out of ideas now...

Thanks for all the advice,

Dan

jengis

Are you sure the noise is that bad?

Still sounds like pinking to me. A ticking sound under full load at low revs? Try retarding the timing lots more and see if it sound different. What position is the dizzy, i.e. whereabouts in the slot is the nut?

You set the timing by having it very retarded, drive at full load at low revs, stop, advance it a couple of mm, then test again. Repeat until you start to hear the tell-tale noise then back it off a couple of mm. Job done.

Once your confident the timing is right then look for a cracked ex manifold, loose spark plug, or it could just be a fairly worn top end. Mine isn't exactly quite.

Oil starvation? take the cam cover off and look for discolouring on the cam? erm...dunno? Anyway, STOP light should come on if pressure drops suddently.

Pob
Are you sure the noise is that bad?

Still sounds like pinking to me. A ticking sound under full load at low revs? Try retarding the timing lots more and see if it sound different. What position is the dizzy, i.e. whereabouts in the slot is the nut?

You set the timing by having it very retarded, drive at full load at low revs, stop, advance it a couple of mm, then test again. Repeat until you start to hear the tell-tale noise then back it off a couple of mm. Job done.

Once your confident the timing is right then look for a cracked ex manifold, loose spark plug, or it could just be a fairly worn top end. Mine isn't exactly quite.

Oil starvation? take the cam cover off and look for discolouring on the cam? erm...dunno? Anyway, STOP light should come on if pressure drops suddently.

Thanks for the reply,

I'm not sure, it's been such a long time since i've seen another 1.6/1.9 Gti it's hard to know if it's just normal... Maybe I'm being too picky? But does seem a little excessive.

I'm pretty sure the ignition timing is fine now, loads better than it was :D It just ticks all the time, even at idle.

IMG_0157.jpg

Maybe your right about the top end being worn... Could valve guides cause the same symptoms? The car runs fine, goes well, doesn't smoke and good mpg. Perhaps it's just how it is... Maybe I should put the sound proofing back in.

The head is getting plenty of oil and the spray bar is working well. (I removed the cam cover, disconnected the king lead and turned it over)

Dan

jengis

dizzy setting looks fine. time to stop looking for problems and enjoy the car me thinks :rolleyes:

24seven

if you can get a video of the noise it will be a little easier to diagnose, but then if it's not getting too hot or pinking anymore, it's probably just normal. They're old engines now and were rattly noisey things in the first place.

Pob
if you can get a video of the noise it will be a little easier to diagnose, but then if it's not getting too hot or pinking anymore, it's probably just normal. They're old engines now and were rattly noisey things in the first place.

Perhaps your right :wacko: Is there any differences between the engines fitted in the 306 XSi 8v?

Thanks for all your help, very much appreciated

Dan

M_R_205

is it running the origional injectors? on one of my old 1.6`s the injectors ticked quite loud, just another thought to throw in the pot :wacko:

Pob
is it running the origional injectors? on one of my old 1.6`s the injectors ticked quite loud, just another thought to throw in the pot :wacko:

Thanks for the input. I did consider this, but thought it was too loud to be a injector. They are possibly the originals.... If injectors are noisy is there anyway to solve it or than replacing them?

I've heard about ultrasonic cleaning, what is involved in this? What is used to clean the injectors?

Thanks again,

Dan

ALEX

Send your injectors off by post and you usually get them back in a couple of days with the before and after flow results.

Worthwhile doing if they're the originals, if not for just piece of mind. I think its about £50 for a set of 4.

I thought I saw a service for it on here somewhere, if not I'll find you a link for the place I used.

Edited by ALEX

Pob
Send your injectors off by post and you usually get them back in a couple of days with the before and after flow results.

Worthwhile doing if they're the originals, if not for just piece of mind. I think its about £50 for a set of 4.

I thought I saw a service for it on here somewhere, if not I'll find you a link for the place I used.

I found some recon'd 205 injectors for £48.99

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PEUGEOT-205-309-106-...id=p3286.c0.m14

What is the normal flow rate of injectors?

Thanks,

Dan

Galifrey
Thanks for the input. I did consider this, but thought it was too loud to be a injector. They are possibly the originals.... If injectors are noisy is there anyway to solve it or than replacing them?

I've heard about ultrasonic cleaning, what is involved in this? What is used to clean the injectors?

Thanks again,

Dan

http://www.asnu.com/centres.htm

find a service centre near you, drop them in, have them back same day

I paid £60 to have mine cleaned and flow tested (all 4)

ALEX

^ that's the place I used! ^

Uprated injectors are a waste of time unless your planning on fitting a turbo or tuning your engine. The standard ones should be good for over 160 BHP.

At £48 I wouldn't assume the quality is much good either.

Pob
^ that's the place I used! ^

Uprated injectors are a waste of time unless your planning on fitting a turbo or tuning your engine. The standard ones should be good for over 160 BHP.

At £48 I wouldn't assume the quality is much good either.

For some reason I didn't register the 'uprated' bit. Thanks for the info, the closest one to me isn't that far I'll let them recon the injectors

Thanks,

Dan

pugpete1108

a friend of mine had his pulsar injectors done by a bloke on ebay (good turnaround 2-3 days i believe) and they come back flowing 25% better more than standard and i think he only paid 40 squid or so.

Sign in to follow this