• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Pob

Engine Issues

Pob

Hi all,

I'm getting a little annoyed with my 205 now, it sounds awful! It runs too hot, first mile isnt too bad around the 3rd bar, bit after that it will sit at the 4th bar just below the fan kicking in... At 30mph the temperature creeps up and the fan will kick in. I have added a oil cooler and a 82c stat but it still runs too hot.

Its pinking big time, even accelerating hard through the gears you can hear it very clearly. Driving along in 5th at around 2-3k and accelerate and it'll pink...

It sounds like a nackared old CVH engine, even at 60 with the window down you can hear it. The valve clearances were checked when the head was skimmed and it's ok.

Any ideas why or what could be causing this? Its really getting on my nerves now...

Thanks,

Dan

Paul_13

What engine mate? 1.6, 1.9 16v?

GLPoomobile

Sounds like your ignition timing is waaaay out. This would cause the pinking and the excessively hot running (increased exhaust gas temps from incorrect ignition IIRC).

Have you tried rotating the dizzy back and forth to see if you can improve it?

Pob
What engine mate? 1.6, 1.9 16v?

Hmmm, maybe I should of included that. 1.9 8v. I've checked the manifold for leaks but no change.... I have a 4 branch manifold with no heat shield/wrap but I wouldn't have thought it would cause temperature issues.

I've replaced the dizzy so the timing is possibly out. I tried moving it fully back and forward but didn't pink, just altered the idle speed?

Dan

Edited by Pob

Paul_13

My mate had the problem on his car of the timing being out and caused all sorts of problems heated up really prematurely

Goliath
Sounds like your ignition timing is waaaay out. This would cause the pinking and the excessively hot running (increased exhaust gas temps from incorrect ignition IIRC).

Have you tried rotating the dizzy back and forth to see if you can improve it?

Another vote for it being the ignition timing out. I had exactly the same problem on a 1.6 I had, massively improved it by rotating the dizzy but never managed to get rid of it completely.

Pob
Another vote for it being the ignition timing out. I had exactly the same problem on a 1.6 I had, massively improved it by rotating the dizzy but never managed to get rid of it completely.

That would make sense... It seems to be in the right place and rotating it only seems to effect the idle speed, it should make it pink shouldn't it?

Many Thanks,

Dan

GLPoomobile

You need to adjust it until it no longer pinks under load. Find a quiet hill, adjust it, drive up the hill in 4th and accelerate. Repeat until you've cracked it.

Once you've cured the pinking you can adjust the idle speed using the screw in the AFM to set it right.

welshpug

idle speed screw is on the throttle body not the AFM, that's the mixture screw.

GLPoomobile
idle speed screw is on the throttle body not the AFM, that's the mixture screw.

Just checking that the collective forum minds are paying attention :)

You spotted my deliberate mistake very quickly, so I can now rest easy in the knowledge that the forum is still on top form :(

Pob
Just checking that the collective forum minds are paying attention :)

You spotted my deliberate mistake very quickly, so I can now rest easy in the knowledge that the forum is still on top form :(

I'll give it ago fingers crossed that will sort it Any ideas for the CVH sounding engine?

Thanks for the info,

Dan

philfingers

is the vacuum advance working ok? Pull the pipe off the dizzy and suck on it, if you keep drawing air through it's goosed and you can get a new one for £17 (last one I bought for an 8v anyway). It needs to work really

gti-si

Another vote for ignition timing. The vacuum advance won't make that much of a difference.

Pob

Hi all,

I've had a look at the ignition timing today. Initially I retarded the timing and it pinked very slighly up a hill in 4th on WOT... I retarded the dizzy even further and it has pretty much stopped pinking all together, but.... Can retarding the timing too much have the same effect as advancing it too far regarding temperature? I think the temperature was holding and steady temp, possilbly even falling when driving steady. After I retarded the timing the last time the temperature never dropped low enough to turn the fan off, even driving steady at 60 :D

Do you think the second from last time was pretty much the best I can get out of it? Possibly higher octane fuel would help reduce the pinking. I had to stop due to the oil cooler having a leak, need some PTFE tape or something I thinks

Thanks for the advice guy, much appreciated

Dan

johnsimister

A non-catalyst 1.9 8V with the ignition timing correctly set is very likely to pink on normal 95-octane petrol. It needs super unleaded.

Another thought. Is your radiator blocked through age, or has it lost some of its cooling fins? That would certainly make it run hot.

John

jengis

Without a timing light, the way you have adjusted the timimg is the way I and many others have set it - it will have got you near enough. Setting it a little retarded is necessary on 95 unleaded, as John said, but shouldn't cause overheating issues, just a wee bit less efficiency/power than on 97 RON and the optimum timing.

From what you describe, the engine doesn't seem to be overheating too much. Nothing wrong with it needing the fan at low speeds, perhaps a bit worrying if it switches to the higher speed. When at a steady 60 or 70 mph, does it steadilly creep up toward the top or stay roughly middling?

Good point about a working vacuum advance - you said you changed the dizzy at one point, are you sure you attached the vacuum advance diaphragm unit thingy properly to the new dizzy (hooked the dangly arm to the lug inside)? And its connected via a pipe to the throttle body?

Pob

I had thought that regarding the radiator, It was a hand me down from a friend of mine. When I drained it before fitting the engine the water was nice and clean, no rusty bits or mucky water, It has got a few crushed fins but not missing. I have a timing light and had a go but nothing matched up, but ive been told it's useless on these engines.

For some reason my fan only has one speed, fast...

I'm just about to have another look at it, I'm going to advance the timing slightly again and I'll check the vac advance see if thats playing up.

Thanks,

Dan

Edited by Pob

Pob
I had thought that regarding the radiator, It was a hand me down from a friend of mine. When I drained it before fitting the engine the water was nice and clean, no rusty bits or mucky water, It has got a few crushed fins but not missing. I have a timing light and had a go but nothing matched up, but ive been told it's useless on these engines.

For some reason my fan only has one speed, fast...

I'm just about to have another look at it, I'm going to advance the timing slightly again and I'll check the vac advance see if thats playing up.

Thanks,

Dan

I've just pulled the dizzy vac pipe off and sucked on it... There is no resistance, it's like a sucking on a straight through pipe. I tried the old dizzy I took off and that was the same. Are they both nackared?

Dan

Tom Fenton

Probably, I don't think I've ever come across a 205 GTI with an original vacuum can still working yet.

welshpug

Yeah, definitely knackered, I bought one for mine from a Bosch dealer for under £20.

Only affects on cruise though don't forget, initial timing settings are made with it disconnected (as are idle speed and CO settings from memory)

Pob
Yeah, definitely knackered, I bought one for mine from a Bosch dealer for under £20.

Only affects on cruise though don't forget, initial timing settings are made with it disconnected (as are idle speed and CO settings from memory)

Thanks for the info. You dont know the Bosch part number do you? Ive been to Peugeot and its £27 and it was dizzy specific and needed a number of the dizzy. Saying that both the dizzy's I have are the same number. I think I might be able to get one from the local motorfactor's if I have a part number

Thanks,

Dan

welshpug

If its a 1.9 I think the most common Distributor is 0237009066, so the part you need is;

VACUUM UNIT 5951 86 £24.32.

The Bosch part number for the one I was supplied is 1 237 123 091 (I kept the box, knew it would come in handy one day :lol: )

I doubt there would be that many different replacement units if you cross reference the Bosch part number to the Peugeot ones.

Pob
If its a 1.9 I think the most common Distributor is 0237009066, so the part you need is;

VACUUM UNIT 5951 86 £24.32.

The Bosch part number for the one I was supplied is 1 237 123 091 (I kept the box, knew it would come in handy one day :lol: )

I doubt there would be that many different replacement units if you cross reference the Bosch part number to the Peugeot ones.

Thanks for the info! Yep your correct with the distributor...

Thanks again, all your help has been greatly appreciated

Dan

Pob

Hi all,

I've fitted a new Vac unit and it's sorted out the dodgy idle and generally runs better. I've retarded the timing and put some 99 octane fuel in and the pinking is alot better, it pinks very slightly when accelerating hard and change gear and boot it.

But I still have the issue with running hot. I've removed the oil cooler due to it leaking but it hasn't made any difference to keeping it cooler.

What is normal running temperature on the gauage for a 1.9?

Thanks,

Dan

Edited by Pob
  • Like 1

philfingers

mine coolant temp runs slightly above the third white mark, it's an Mi16 but the sender is the same one

Sign in to follow this