• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
carlh.1

Oil Surge

crf450
Here we go, petty and infantile as predicted.

I am very very sorry if I've offended you,my comments were in jest.

Please carry on and explain how putting extra oil in the sump wont compensate for the extra oil that's is held in a Mi head.

dcc

I have always thought too much oil in an engine means the breathers get higher risk of of oil being forced out fo them, which means the chance of fire in the engine bay!

I always tried to use the recommended quantity.

If you two have personal issues, then sort it out else where, this is a thread for suggesting help for Carl's problem.

brumster

Oh this old puppy again. Do a search; you'll find my opinions :P

carlh.1

Does any 1 know how much oil to put in it from dry as though its an mi engine, or is it the same 5 litres, because if i cant go off the 8v dipstick im not gona put litre after litre in it,and ye your right im not gona strip it down and stick 8v rods and crank back in it after spendig so much on getting it to this stage, i'll try and get the oil droped and filled in the next few nights if i have time and let you know

Cameron

Right so its definitely an Mi16 sump and dipstick then?

Redtop

On the subject of oil surge, has anyone ever fitted an oil pressure accumulator system [aquasump] to an mi16? Would be alot cheaper than a dry sump setup and shouldn't be too hard to do. It's good enough for the nascar men.

nick

Yep, someone on here fitted one years ago, apparently it didn't work too well!!

Nick

brumster

I think James Lumley runs an Accusump on his rally beasty; spoke fondly of it. Richard Longman used to use them a fair bit on his cars too, I believe, but not used one myself.

carlh.1

Just put another 3/4 litre of oil in the car, its alot better can puch it more in the corners but still drops when reali pushing it in a right hand bend. Its a little over max on the dipstick, didnt put any smoke out as though it was burning oil, It must have the wrong dipstick, would you say try abit more oil?

AndyJ
Just put another 3/4 litre of oil in the car, its alot better can puch it more in the corners but still drops when reali pushing it in a right hand bend. Its a little over max on the dipstick, didnt put any smoke out as though it was burning oil, It must have the wrong dipstick, would you say try abit more oil?

Measure the dipstick, I'm sure then someone can tell you if you have the right one for your setup

Cameron

Good call! Measure the dipstick tube too.

carlh.1

Nick

Just been reading up on accusumps, so the valve only opens when the pressure drops, and holds oil in the tube when the pressure is fine? sounds like a good solution, whats the known problems with them?

fast_eddie

just my 2 peneth - I run my 309 with an mi in it and have done aintree, mira, silverstone, donnington and the roads around yorkshire a few times and never once saw oil supply issues. Is it just luckof the draw?

Baz

Nick

That's because he didn't set it up correctly.

Is it just luckof the draw?

To a point yes. but that doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist. because you don't 'get it' doesn't mean you don't drive hard enough ffs, i think to a point it is luck of the draw, sludged up old engines etc etc. but the problem does exist.

For eg. I drive like a hooligan, i think a few forum members have witnessed, but one car i drive on occasion, with a tilted (;) god forbid!! :)) Mi16 and a baffled sump, didn't see the oil pressure dip to worrying levels with me driving, but did with another forum member that also is known to drive hard... we just have differing styles.

One thing i'd say that hasn't been said, is fit a decent pressure gauge, mechanical. Or at least try another sender/gauge before trying more in-depth/expensive methods.

Sign in to follow this