• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
carlh.1

Oil Surge

carlh.1

Ive fitted a sump baffle to my 1.9 turbo and still getting oil surge when cornering, can anybody help because i have no clue now how to stop it?

Cameron

Give us a bit more info, what sump baffle have you fitted? How much oil do you have in it? What sump / oil pump etc etc do you have?

Give as much info as you can or you won't get any meaningful replies.

carlh.1

Its got a constella baffle, standard pump with group n spring, mi16 bottom end so would the sump be different from the 1.6 it had before the conversion? oil level is reading fine on the dip stick, would the dip stick be wrong if it had an mi sump on it. Pressure reads fine on start up, nearly maximum then drops to just above half when it gets to temp.

pip470

Not sure why tou have posted it in this section buddy, probably would of been better in the xu sections.

I take it you still have the 8v turbo head on, I was un aware these suffered from oil surge so either you are really pushing the limits of grip or thier is a another problem. Do you have any pictures of what you have fitted and how it is fitted?

pip470

Im too slow at typing sorry, from your reply i would bung another litre of oil in and see if it stops, if not try another, Did you note how much oil you put in the engine after the sump change?

carlh.1

Im not that good with computers to get the right topic! ha. Ye its an 8v head its not the 406 turbo head its more like a tt conversion, its not mapped properly yet only running at 3 psi so havent pushed any limits, its the baffle like you see on ebay, bad choice? it sat firmly in the sump with no real gaps. will it do any damage putting another litre in, it will be over max on the dip stick?

crf450
Im not that good with computers to get the right topic! ha. Ye its an 8v head its not the 406 turbo head its more like a tt conversion, its not mapped properly yet only running at 3 psi so havent pushed any limits, its the baffle like you see on ebay, bad choice? it sat firmly in the sump with no real gaps. will it do any damage putting another litre in, it will be over max on the dip stick?

What Mi16 parts are you in your 8valve?

carlh.1

Crank ,rods and liners but there prob the same as 1.9 gti? mi flywheel and uprated helix clutch it started life as a 1.6 so everythings new

hexhamstu
Pressure reads fine on start up, nearly maximum then drops to just above half when it gets to temp.

whoa whoa whoa, What symptoms are you seeing? Are you just worried about it dropping to just below half way when hot?

carlh.1

No no! its halve way when driving straight! it drops to the bottom with the red stop light coming on on nearly every corner if i carry speed through the corner

hexhamstu

Oh ok fair enough. Any idea how much oil you put into it?

dcc

I am a bit confused as to why you opted for the mi16 crank and rods?

The mi16 crank and rod setup is very well known for its oil surge issues, as the rods are crank located not piston located (may have that the wrong way round) Im sure Nick on here used the 8v rod and crank in order to get rid of the oil surge that was somewhat native to the mi16 engine (only the 1.9 it seems). look up his thread and have a good old read!

carlh.1

Thanks ye i'll have a read. it was high flow heads who did the conversion and said to go for that crank, so there is a difference between the mi and 1.9 gti? to be honest im not that happy with the job thats been done had a range of problems with it, the moneys been spent now so i'll have to sort it out.

rapidcossie

is the wire to the oil press sensor loose?

carlh.1

no the wirings ok, the pressure rises again after i corner, i'll drop the oil and start again, sure it took 4 to 5 litres, have you any idea which nick theres about 40 on here? haha

Cameron

Sorry, but I don't agree with the whole crank located rods malarkey. It may well help in reducing the risk, but it isn't the major issue and certainly isn't the cure. Do you know what sump you have? It may be that if you have a mis-match engine that you have the Mi16 sump and so will also need the Mi16 dipstick AND filler tube.

Sounds like something is definitely amiss if you get surge in every fast corner, I'd be focusing my efforts on making sure that the oil level is right before you get talked into expensive solutions.

nick

Strange how an 8v surges with Mi rods in........

Nick

crf450
Strange how an 8v surges with Mi rods in........

Nick

Nick this is dead interesting.

We sorted 95% of the oil pressure issues on an Mi engine by fitting 8valve crank and rods. Read back through Nick's posts on the subject and and you'll find out why (in my opinion) your engines surging and giving you problems.

PS Dont listen to to Cameron's opinions on this subject because he wrong :P:lol::lol:

welshpug
Im sure Nick on here used the 8v rod and crank in order to get rid of the oil surge that was somewhat native to the mi16 engine (only the 1.9 it seems).

don't think its limited to the 1.9, my 2.0 in the ZX died on a r/h corner!

oddly its been fine with the gti6 lump, with the same sump fitted....

Cameron

Yeah, I'm not going into this argument again as you've already proven to be unable to take any negative comments without resorting to pettyness. :P

My point is though, don't get suckered into following any of the expensive suggestions until you've eliminated all of the simple, quick fixes. Make sure you have the right sump / spacer / dipstick combination and that your oil level is right. :lol:

rubyna
Yeah, I'm not going into this argument again as you've already proven to be unable to take any negative comments without resorting to pettyness. :P

My point is though, don't get suckered into following any of the expensive suggestions until you've eliminated all of the simple, quick fixes. Make sure you have the right sump / spacer / dipstick combination and that your oil level is right. :lol:

Id agree with Cam check the simple things first, when you have ruled them out then broaden the search.. You mentioned that you

havent been happy with the build from the start due to certain issues, if you read some of the recent posts on here about HFH

engines/builds it will make for an interesting read.. :lol:

crf450
Sorry, but I don't agree with the whole crank located rods malarkey. It may well help in reducing the risk, but it isn't the major issue and certainly isn't the cure. Do you know what sump you have? It may be that if you have a mis-match engine that you have the Mi16 sump and so will also need the Mi16 dipstick AND filler tube.

Sounds like something is definitely amiss if you get surge in every fast corner, I'd be focusing my efforts on making sure that the oil level is right before you get talked into expensive solutions.

I'd of thought it would be very hard to say categorically (as you seem to be doing) that fitting 8valve crank and rods to stop surge symptoms on a Mi16 wouldn't cure them.

We've done exactly that and explained the theory behind it which make perfect sense.

In my opinion the argument for the cause being related to the head holding oil or returning oil badly doesn't stack up. If this was the case why couldn't you just add extra oil to compensate for what was being held in the head.

This thread make me feel vindicated

welshpug

maybe cameron with his Mi16 rods and gti6 head isnt trying hard enough?

crf450
maybe cameron with his Mi16 rods and gti6 head isnt trying hard enough?

Well I was thinking that but didn't want to cast those sort of dispersions about his driving ability :P .

Edited by crf450

Cameron

Here we go, petty and infantile as predicted.

Sign in to follow this