• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

kyepan

[engine_work] Xu9j4 Mi-16 Rebuild

Toddy

subjectively sometimes it feels off the boil.

Can you time it 60-100 which should be a useful indicator as a std MI would take 10-11secs

welshpug

Can you time it 60-100 which should be a useful indicator as a std MI would take 10-11secs

with which gearbox, tyre size, wheel weight, flywheel weight?

Sandy

Bear in mind that people do tend to report an engine being off the boil after a rolling road session that didn't quote them happy. I think I've exampled on here before, one of my colleague's 2 litre XE engines that we engine dyno'd at 190lbft and 290bhp approx, one of the best we'd done, it went to a rolling road in Ireland and they recorded mid 250s bhp and he was on the phone savagely dissappointed. Told to take it somewhere else, he did and with no alterations showed over 300bhp and proved to be one of the most prolific class winners in Irish Rallying.

Rolling roads estimate power, they cannot accurately record it. I'm not saying that is the case here, but keep an open mind to the potential for error.

Anthony

To be fair to Justin, he had been mentioning to me for a while that performance seemed to be a bit variable and wasn't sure whether it was him imagining it, something amiss with the car, or an external variable (initially he thought it was down to the warm weather as it seemed quicker in the cool night air), so it's not just psychological owing to the disappointing RR result.

Does seem sensible to take it to another RR to confirm the low figure however before going beyond checking the usual basics.

All I know is that when I drove it the evening after you mapped it (he stopped in on the drive back), it went damned well, pulled much stronger at top end than it did in the last config, and the noise at full chat was making my wallet quiver with fear at the ensuing ITB purchase if he didn't take the car away again :lol:

• Like 1

kyepan

I hear what you're saying guys, and i may well be imagining things, as i do have an over active one.

However I do spot patterns quite well... and feel it may be fuel related, in so far as

Full fresh tank - plenty of urgency

Half full tank - not so much go.

Whether or not the 20 year old pump is getting hot and tired when the fuel is not fully covering it i don't know, but there are differences, noticably slow.

It was mapped on a full tank, as i did have this in the back of my mind at the time. Stupidly i dynoed on a quarter of a tank at the weekend.

Cheers

J

dcc

out of interest - have you got good consistency with your alternator readings?

kyepan

how do i check that DCC?

I can get voltage output on the ecu data screen.

Ps Rob, dad gets it for me as he has trade, but it's not strictly retail so i can't pass the discount on, sorry about that. :(

welshpug

That would suffice for the voltage readings :) not sure if you can get a log whilst running or if that's just a live reading.

kyepan

what should it read mei?

dcc

around 13.9-14.3 ish

Batfink

Tom's fuel pump could not keep up with demand and he fitted an in tank pump. Might be an option....

Anthony

If the fuel pump couldn't keep up, you'd expect to see the AFR going lean, surely? In Justin's case, it's not, suggesting to me that the fuel delivery side is fine.

• Like 1

petert

Rather than paying for rolling roads, can your ecu datalog?

kyepan

Yes it can.

A lot of driving over the weekend, and i'm more sure it's fuelling, as it does sound noticeably hollow compared to when it's got a full tank it also has a lack of initial urge when touching the throttle too..

Filled it up and continued on my journey, it's back on song, sounding deeper and more throaty, barking its noisy bark. I know i'm just repeating myself but it's not just me imagining it, it's tangible.

So will change the fuel filter, and the pump, and report back soon.

PS, 300 odd miles of decent a road and motorway, my god it sounds fabulous, every time you come off a bend and open the wail pipes up, it just sends a shiver down my back, christ knows what it sounds like from the passenger compartments of others around me, everybody needs throttle bodies in their life!

Kev - Batfink - you know the red mist... i got it bad.

Sandy - it's definitely quicker at top end though, definitely.

kyepan

Pump is here!

welshpug

yay, fitted yet? :P

Any reference numbers for the pump for others to check with their local factors?

kyepan

yer i got the number from here actually! erm hang on

Bosch 0580 464 993

phase 2 pump.

kyepan

Endoscope has arrived, bosch pump and filter have arrived.

And - the exhaust has been making noises that have become much more pronounced since sandy's post!!!!! lol

so it's booked in to be looked at on the 8th.

we shall get to the bottom of this!

kyepan

So - endoscope was unsuprisingly not bright enough to see as far as the centre box, everything looked fine in the back box.

Fuel pump was changed and the following differences were noted:

1) better throttle response when blipping at idle

2) under load it sounded deeper and more throaty, the beautiful bwarp of hammer is more pronounced.

3) more linear acceleration from mid to top.

4) smoother on overun

5) smoother pickup at very low loads.

wheelspin in second gear towards the top.

Now - because it's a bit hit and miss, i'm going to give it a few weeks before passing judgement, but initial impressions are good.

Also, need to check that i've not got an air leak again, as when it's been running for an hour or two, it tends to overun as you lift off the throttle, but doesn't do it if you snap off the throttle, like the throttle return spring has popped off.. so i need to check both really. It's also a little jerkey / kangeroo ish.

Exhaust booked in this weekend to be remedied under warranty.. we shall see what else is afoot in there, i suspect tom's right about the wadding.

I have also noted that it sounds like a race car as the revs build under full load in 3rd gear, the blend of harmonics and sounds is utterly musical, this pleases me

Cheers

J

Edited by kyepan

welshpug

I have a feeling I need to replace my fuel pump, my 205 feels rougher and noisier after sitting on the M4 for a few hours when I roll off at junction 28 and head up the valley.

caballino

Very interesting project!!!

kyepan

O rings have gone again, i think i've found some suitable diameter viton ones this time, so it should be fixed once and for all.

J

Paul_13

Holy f*** an update

kyepan

also i have changed the plugs to a heat range warmer and it is now starting on the button.... and sounding good.

old plugs BCP7ET

New plugs BCP6ET

Most confusing.