• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest mosleygtiminter

Just Wondering Why My 155 Bhp 1.9 8v Isnt Very Fast Top End

Guest mosleygtiminter

Hi All

I was just wondering why My 205 1.9 8v 155 bhp on the rollers isnt much good for 120 mph . I Dont No how to tell what gearbox i have Please help

Thanks adam

dcc

what revs @ 70 in 5th?

if its close to 4k revs, you will likely have a 1.6 box.

large

I take it that the 155 is at the flywheel. what is it at the wheels. I would have thought it would be 125-130ish.

What is happening is it reving out or just not pulling up the revs. i think peugeot said 128 mph top end for a std 1.9.

steve@cornwall

If it's a 1.6 'box with 155/55/15 tyres (1.9 speedlines) I believe the speedo under-reads by approx 7%, too ?Lower rev limiter on the 1.9 engine also means it prob. won't reach the 122 mph (IIRC) the 1.6 was spec. ed at either

welshpug

a standard healthy 1.9 WILL reach 128mph (@ 6000rpm which is peak power, limiter is 6200 which equates to 132)

with a raised limit from better management (6600rpm) mine keeps pulling to an indicated 136 :unsure:

Edited by welshpug

philfingers

could be your 155 horses are smaller than other horses. Rolling roads are notorious for being different. Some operators would be happy if their rollers showed higher figures too, it brings in the customers.

Have the mods to the engine been enough to make 155bhp. have a look at puma racing site for info on what mods make what sort of power gains. gettting 155 from an 8v takes some work

Guest mosleygtiminter
could be your 155 horses are smaller than other horses. Rolling roads are notorious for being different. Some operators would be happy if their rollers showed higher figures too, it brings in the customers.

Have the mods to the engine been enough to make 155bhp. have a look at puma racing site for info on what mods make what sort of power gains. gettting 155 from an 8v takes some work

It has polished and ported head/ lightend and balanced crank and flywheel/ all new internals new standard cam , omega forged pistons / full stainless exhaust /mi16 sump uprated oil pump/ fse valve / BBR GTI Star chip / K&N Element Filter / all set up and running Really well hamers civic Type R's off the mark . And hits just under the limiter at 124 flat out but There is unbeliveable tourqe in any gear but just doesnt pull the best after 100 any ideas i have read the puma forum and studdied it well can any 1 tell me more please thanks for all your replies .

j_turnell

I'd deff be tempted to put an aftermarket cam it to help maximise the increased compression and headwork...

Guest mosleygtiminter
what revs @ 70 in 5th?if its close to 4k revs, you will likely have a 1.6 box.
hi mate it is 3.5 k at 70 mph

DrSarty

I'm no engine God, but I don't understand 2 things. Why do you have forged pistons on what seems to be a standard engine? Have you altered compression at all? Agreed about the aftermarket cam being something you could have done/could still do if you really want more power, but......

If it goes so well torque-wise, I'm a little confused at why you want to go faster than 124mph anyway. What really is the point? Naturally it's your licence, but considering a 1.6 diesel Astra will probably do that speed, what exactly does it prove? Surely rapidly up to 100mph is really where it's at on a road car.

GLPoomobile
I'm no engine God, but I don't understand 2 things. Why do you have forged pistons on what seems to be a standard engine? Have you altered compression at all? Agreed about the aftermarket cam being something you could have done/could still do if you really want more power, but......

Exactly what I was thinking, but thought I'd wait for someone more sensible to chip in before I stuck my neck on the line :P . I also can't see that the stated mods could possibly wring 155bhp out of a 1.9 8v. Standard cam, and seemingly standard induction.

If it goes so well torque-wise, I'm a little confused at why you want to go faster than 124mph anyway. What really is the point? Naturally it's your licence, but considering a 1.6 diesel Astra will probably do that speed, what exactly does it prove? Surely rapidly up to 100mph is really where it's at on a road car.

I think the point here is not the speed it tops out, but the fact that it's not pulling hard above 100mph. Whilst I doubt it is making 155bhp, there probably could be something awry somewhere if it seems excessively slow from 100mph. This was the first indication to me that something was wrong with my Mi, as the first time I really gave it death to license losing speeds it really struggled above 100 and wouldn't go past a GPS indicated 121mp (on a 1.6 box, that really isn't right for an Mi!). A few days later it started playing silly buggers, and then the AFM shat itself. So I think it had been running too rich. Once the AFM was swapped it pulled nice and hard over the ton, and easily got up to 130mph before I backed off.

Guest mosleygtiminter
Exactly what I was thinking, but thought I'd wait for someone more sensible to chip in before I stuck my neck on the line :wacko: . I also can't see that the stated mods could possibly wring 155bhp out of a 1.9 8v. Standard cam, and seemingly standard induction.

I think the point here is not the speed it tops out, but the fact that it's not pulling hard above 100mph. Whilst I doubt it is making 155bhp, there probably could be something awry somewhere if it seems excessively slow from 100mph. This was the first indication to me that something was wrong with my Mi, as the first time I really gave it death to license losing speeds it really struggled above 100 and wouldn't go past a GPS indicated 121mp (on a 1.6 box, that really isn't right for an Mi!). A few days later it started playing silly buggers, and then the AFM shat itself. So I think it had been running too rich. Once the AFM was swapped it pulled nice and hard over the ton, and easily got up to 130mph before I backed off.

Whats a afm mate its fine doesnt over fuel runs perfect . just wandered if it will be quicker or slower in a 1.4 mile thats all i dont drive like that on the roads its on a drag strip i keep getting beat after 100

tagy

AFM is the air flow meter.

Also getting a 1.9 to 100mph in a 1/4 mile would mean the car is running very very well I think? :wacko:

Edited by tagy

DrSarty

You COULD have said about the drag strip runs at the beginning.....maybe......?

taylorspug

You wont be running to 120mph on a quarter mile with the engine you have described.

thefame

runs on redbull gives him wings

mfield
You wont be running to 120mph on a quarter mile with the engine you have described.

Didn't he say 120 on the rollers ?

Just says it goes flat after 100mph on the strip. I'd suggest duck tape :wacko:

taylorspug

Did he, i cant be arsed to read back tbh! Even 100mph terminal would be going some.

bales
all set up and running Really well hamers civic Type R's off the mark .

Whats a afm mate its fine doesnt over fuel runs perfect . just wandered if it will be quicker or slower in a 1.4 mile thats all i dont drive like that on the roads its on a drag strip i keep getting beat after 100

Thats odd as my Civic does a 14.9qtr at 96mph :lol: so you must have a VERY strong 8V to be getting a 100mph+ terminal!!

Unfortunately I think it is a case of these tuners that all say they can get 160bhp out of the 8V by just porting and polishing (the already good) head...

So I would guess that you are expecting more from your engine than is reasonably possible for the spec, I would say that with teh spec you described you are probably only looking at 130-140bhp anyway at the most....

Also all those Type R's you keep hammering away from the line.....its not until about 28mph is it....i.e about 6500rpm in 1st..... :ph34r:..... :lol:

Guest mosleygtiminter
Thats odd as my Civic does a 14.9qtr at 96mph  :ph34r: so you must have a VERY strong 8V to be getting a 100mph+ terminal!!Unfortunately I think it is a case of these tuners that all say they can get 160bhp out of the 8V by just porting and polishing (the already good) head...So I would guess that you are expecting more from your engine than is reasonably possible for the spec, I would say that with teh spec you described you are probably only looking at 130-140bhp anyway at the most....Also all those Type R's you keep hammering away from the line.....its not until about 28mph is it....i.e about 6500rpm in 1st..... :)..... :lol:
YOU LOT CAN SAY WHAT YOU LIKE I NO MY CAR IS QUICK AND ALL BEEN DONE PROPERLY. IT WAS 140 BHP BEFORE I HAD THE CHIP FITTED AND PUT THE K&N ELEMENT FILTER IT IS PRETY MUCH A NEW ENGINE SO WHY WOULDNT IT BE THAT FAST ......??????

welshpug

PMSL!

chip and K&N does not make 155bhp :ph34r: 16 valves or a cam and throttle bodies do mind you.

nick

All people are saying is that the figures don't stack up..... crf450 ran a 14.2sec 1/4 mile with a 98mph terminal that is with a rolling road verified 180bhp from an Mi16 on Jenvey t/bodies. Your saying that when your doing 1/4 miles you are over 100mph and still have enough strip left for someone to come past you..... that doesn't add up.

Post up a printout of the rolling road figures and someone might be able to see where the problem is.

Nick

welshpug

from your list of parts there is nothing that would increase the power dramatically alone, the forged pistons as mentioned are a good start, you'll need a decent cam and mappable injection to reap the benefit of that.

the chip and FSE IMO would go straight in the bin.

GLPoomobile
YOU LOT CAN SAY WHAT YOU LIKE I NO MY CAR IS QUICK AND ALL BEEN DONE PROPERLY. IT WAS 140 BHP BEFORE I HAD THE CHIP FITTED AND PUT THE K&N ELEMENT FILTER IT IS PRETY MUCH A NEW ENGINE SO WHY WOULDNT IT BE THAT FAST ......??????

Perhaps if you could communicate your thoughts properly, it'd help your case. This topic has been bloody cryptic right from the beginning, and we are all having trouble understanding what you are actually trying to get to the bottom of!

As stated, with the list of mods you have, you won't be seeing 155bhp. I'd eat my hat if you did, and if you did, then your engine has more done to it than you are telling us. The 1.9 8v never made the claimed 130 bhp off the production line (I think it was actually officially 128bhp to be totally anal about it, but they apparently rarely made that much either). Now if you go off and do some research, you'll read time and again lots of very knowledeagble and experienced people telling how you will not see big gains on these engines from chipping, filters or exhausts. So I'm telling you - and that may be very forthright, but I'd eat my hat, as I said already, if I was wrong - that your engine was not producing 140bhp before you added your wonderful chip and filter. And it's not 155bhp now either, rebuilt engine or not. If you belive that, somebody (enginer builder, rolling road operator, maybe both) is signing you a song and taking you for a mug.

The other mystery of course is why the heck it's been built with forged pistons when the rest of the spec seems fairly standard. Has the compression been significantly increased, and if it has, what else has been done to make it work (or maximise the potential) with this upped compression? Or was it simply done as the start of future plans? i.e. is there a plan to supercharge/turbocharge it in the future, hence why forged pistons where specified?

Now, once you have accepted that your engine is not producing 155bhp, you need to tell us how it is performing and we'll see if there's actually a problem here or if you simply have expectations that are never going to be met. Are you quantifying the behaviour of the car by what is happening on the drag strip or on the rolling road? Without re-reading the earlier posts I can't remember what you said, and think some other members may have taken you out of context and confused things.

Come back with some proper answers that are sensibly worded and maybe we can help you.

Edited by GLPoomobile

Garry
Perhaps if you could communicate your thoughts properly, it'd help your case. This topic has been bloody cryptic right from the beginning, and we are all having trouble understanding what you are actually trying to get to the bottom of!

As stated, with the list of mods you have, you won't be seeing 155bhp. I'd eat my hat if you did, and if you did, then your engine has more done to it than you are telling us. The 1.9 8v never made the claimed 130 bhp off the production line (I think it was actually officially 128bhp to be totally anal about it, but they apparently rarely made that much either). Now if you go off and do some research, you'll read time and again lots of very knowledeagble and experienced people telling how you will not see big gains on these engines from chipping, filters or exhausts. So I'm telling you - and that may be very forthright, but I'd eat my hat, as I said already, if I was wrong - that your engine was not producing 140bhp before you added your wonderful chip and filter. And it's not 155bhp now either, rebuilt engine or not. If you belive that, somebody (enginer builder, rolling road operator, maybe both) is signing you a song and taking you for a mug.

The other mystery of course is why the heck it's been built with forged pistons when the rest of the spec seems fairly standard. Has the compression been significantly increased, and if it has, what else has been done to make it work (or maximise the potential) with this upped compression? Or was it simply done as the start of future plans? i.e. is there a plan to supercharge/turbocharge it in the future, hence why forged pistons where specified?

Now, once you have accepted that your engine is not producing 155bhp, you need to tell us how it is performing and we'll see if there's actually a problem here or if you simply have expectations that are never going to be met. Are you quantifying the behaviour of the car by what is happening on the drag strip or on the rolling road? Without re-reading the earlier posts I can't remember what you said, and think some other members may have taken you out of context and confused things.

Come back with some proper answers that are sensibly worded and maybe we can help you.

Quote " Have you got a hat now then Dave?'' Trig

:ph34r::):lol:

Sign in to follow this