• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
djinuk

Roof Skin Swap

number2301

I'm fairly sure I remember a thread by paintguy a while back about this exact same thing, it might be worth digging out the thread?

I seem to remember him saying it'd cost something like £200 so a damn sight less than £800!

Cameron

To get a bodyshop to do it!? That's a bit optimistic I'd have thought. Considering the amount of work to be done, I'd think £800 for a pro job and paint would be pretty reasonable.

Alastairh
To get a bodyshop to do it!? That's a bit optimistic I'd have thought. Considering the amount of work to be done, I'd think £800 for a pro job and paint would be pretty reasonable.

Agreed. Somethings you just leave to the professionals.

Cameron

Well, there's no reason why you can't attempt it at home if you have the skillezz. But its probably not a job for an amateur.

Rom
I'm fairly sure I remember a thread by paintguy a while back about this exact same thing, it might be worth digging out the thread?

I seem to remember him saying it'd cost something like £200 so a damn sight less than £800!

Id guess that was what it cost for the panel and paint ? Cant see anywhere doing it for that kind of price.

Not something id even dream of attempting tbh, and im a pretty decent welder. Definately for the pros imo.

toddydal

£200 no chance,i would say 10 hrs panel and 6 hrs paint + materials so if you say £25 ph thats £400 for labour and for paint and sundries say £300 so thats £700ish and dont forget the price of the roof skin on top

Tom Fenton

I'd have a go at it at home, but I do have a spot welder which would make an easy job of welding the new one in place. The main time consuming part is unpicking the old one I reckon.

thirdtimelucky

Ive don 2 now and its really not that hard, its a lot easier than fitting a new rear quarter panel and I'm not a in the body repair trade. The first I used a new panel from pug and that was just over £100 3 years ago and the second was a second hand one that I took from a spare auto shell I had.

I didn't use a spot welder just my mig and a grinder. Both times you couldn't tell I had changed the roof and and its nice to get rid of that heavy sunroof.

If your handy with a mig, grinder and you and can use a sanding block do it :unsure: I have no doubt people like Tom and Cameron could do this over a weekend.

If you need any tips Ill be happy to help.

Paul

buchanan84

i was helping out a guy in a bodyshop last week, he actually glues the new roof panel on (thats doing insurance work, so not a bodge)

Paintguy
The main time consuming part is unpicking the old one I reckon.

It is, along with the areas where it's brazed onto the A & C pillars.

As you'll see from the picture below, there's absolutely no strength left in the shell once the roof has been removed, so I'd strongly recommend welding braces in place before removing the old one!

th_DSCF0646.jpg

Paintguy
I've done 2 now and its really not that hard,

That, plus your user name really made me chuckle :lol:

thirdtimelucky
That, plus your user name really made me chuckle :ph34r:

The user name comes from it being my third attempt at my 4wd conversion, the roof was the easy bit ;)

philfingers

makes you wonder about a full weld in cage at the same time. So easy to get around all the welds!