• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
djinuk

Roof Skin Swap

djinuk

well ive been looking at loads of ways to remove my sunroof but im not 100% happy with any, so now its got to the point whereby im actually looking at swapping a roof skin. My friend wants to take on the task who used to work in insurance approved work and has done many before. Its the first time ive ever seen it done before and to say im nervous bout the though of sum1 cutting the roof of my 205 is an understatment. So guys anybody know whats involved etc ?

philfingers

it's fine so long as it's done properly. What are you doing, fitting a NSR skin?

Phil

djinuk

Sorry whats a Nsr Skin.. The only thing i really got to comfort me is that he says he used to do them every week, but im still scared, cars having a full respray anyway.

Stu

NSR = None Sunroof.

Ive been having similar thoughts with mine so i'll watch this thread with interest. :)

djinuk

ah yes, fitting a NSR skin yes :). Ive looked into everyway of loosing the sunroof but keeping it looking good and it seems to be virtually impossible, so it leaves me no other choice. With it only being the skin , is this ok to remove without any bracing for the car.

d-9

Did this on a 106 which is the same construction. Theoretically its pretty straight forward, just drill out the spotwelds, unpeel the roof, spotweld on new roof, paint.

Reality is, there are a s*itload of welds on the back, above the tailgate and its damn hard work, not a job Id do again. If youre mate is a pro and knows what hes taking on then it will be fine.

Also, it may well motivate you to fit a cage, when you realise quite how little there is above you!

philfingers

I sold a shell to a couple of years ago and it had been changed. It probably wasn’t an A1 job but I would have been happy with it (if I could have been bothered with building the car). The door rubbers cover up most the places where it’s joined anyway. Looks a look better than the sunroof plate

djinuk

sweet, well the car already has a cage in it so thats all good. Just need to tidy the garage out and get the tailgate and windows etc removed, oh that and purchase the roof skin itself.

Stu

Are new roof skins available?

welshpug

don't know what stocks are like, but its cheaper than a 106/saxo roof :)

810191 FIX ROOF PANEL 109.47 GBP

Stu

Hmm.. thats not so bad i guess then, i wonder how the internals of a sunroof vs. non sunroof compare..

I.e, can you swap just the skin and leave the inner there?

djinuk

thanks for that part number, that would of been my next question :)

welshpug

there's nothing else to it apart from the roof skin, all parts of the sunroof mechanism sits on the outside of the roof IIRC, been a while since I saw the inside of a sunroof 205 without the headlining though.

djinuk

will the car need any kind of bracing to keep it straight when i remove the roof ?

philfingers

Not as long as you don't drive it!

I think the skins are about £70. At least they were. . . . . .

djinuk

nah , certainly wont be driving it during having no roof.

j_turnell

Threres pics in Edps sorrento thred.

Spiky

i think for peace of mind i would, but thats just me..lol

with that part number abopve,

what does that come as?

anyone got a picture?

djinuk

hehe do i sence that spiky is thinking a roof skin would be good also :), ill prob stick somthing across the car for peice of mind when doing the swap. ill check that sorento project on my lunch break.

welshpug

that part number is the roofskin and the reinforcement bit across the top of the sunroof, which I think may come already spot welded to the roofskin (it does on the 106)

th_205roofskin.jpg

Spiky

mmm

i'll be interested in how its done :)

tom_m
mmm

i'll be interested in how its done :D

take it to a body shop, pick it up when it's finshed, give them some money :)

djinuk

some money.... well around £800 or so yea, plus the panel, thats without paint.. but yea :wub:

buster205
some money.... well around £800 or so yea, plus the panel, thats without paint.. but yea :wub:

£800 ? is that the price your mate is doing it for, or a price you've been quoted by a bodyshop ?

cheers

Ste

djinuk

thats the rough price for a bodyshop to do it. My friend owes me favors so it will be a freebee so long i supply everything :wub: