• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rom

[car_overhaul] Mi Respray And Some History

Rom

Little update on todays work..

Thought id have a go at making a newer Lion badge for the grill. Seen it on Espens, and some other pics ive come across.

DSC01284.jpg

Couple of shots of the engine bay from underneath.

DSC01286.jpg

DSC01288.jpg

Would have liked to get the subframe powder coated, but judging on how long they took to do the beam, ill need to buy a spare.

Got the exhaust on, want to get another eventually, the back box on this is huge. Was on the car when i got it, not sure what it is. But i know the centre silencer has been removed.

DSC01289.jpg

Rear beam is finished now, added the cable brackets today (thanks alastairh !), and the blanking plugs. Need to find a neater way to hold the handbrake cable i think.

Discs look a bit crappy, been sat around since december.

DSC01291.jpg

Bit hard to make out, but i added some clear sticky platic to the slam panel. Ive only closed it a couple of times, and noticed the release lever was marking it. Hopefully this will stop it.

DSC01292.jpg

Probably one of my favourite mods, relocating the alarm led. Used to be in the vent by the steering wheel. Wanted it a bit more visable, sure youve all read how bad Bristol is by now !

DSC01294.jpg

Tidied the washer tubing up. Will do for now, will keep an eye out for some nicer lookign clips or something. Not sure how the original ones are held in, as mine was always cable tied.

DSC01295.jpg

Heres my handbrake trim i repaired. Has a big crack in it, and used to get caught everytime you applied the handbrake.

You can see its been fixed if you look close, the texture isnt quite right, but its not bad, and you cant hardly see it when its in the car.

DSC01296.jpg

DSC01298.jpg

Got a few bits of trim inside done, finished wiring the stereo up too. Done up the remaining bolts id left, rear bearings, droplinks, shock etc. Run it up, checking for leaks, couple of very small coolant drips, from the same pipes that always drip when i put the engine back in ! 2 pipes just seem to be a mare to seal properly, should be ok now though after some tweaking.

Drove it round the car park a bit, all seems ok. Doubt im going to go in tommorrow, as its good enough to drive. So just get the trade plates on it tuesday after work and off it goes ! Will be the first time on the road since decemeber, other than on a trailer.

Edited by Rom

chrisj21

Another stunning GTI !

Great rebuiled Rom, such attention to detail.

Its the little things that people would never think about without seeing them like relocating the led for the alarm, and those battery terminals.

Where did you source those?

Chris

large

Not often I reply on this type of thread so well done that man! VERY nice I like it ALOT!! :lol:

Rom

Thank you guys. Nice to know what other people think.

The terminal covers i got from HERE. £1 each, cant go wrong ! Got all the cable and terminals for the earth / power cables. Done another order recently for the relay holders for the heated screen. They clip together, and got one with built in fuse holders, which was cool.

Ive always tried to keep it all neat and tidy. As it really is the little things that finish it off. But ive gone a bit crazy lately, buying stuff purely so it looks better.

Gave it its first wash at lunch time today, but forgot to take any pics. Was mainly to clean it up, as its off to the bodyshop again tommorrow. Not sure how long they will have it, but it should be complete when its back. With just the new wheels to follow.

Edited by Rom

Rom

Well, dropped it to the bodyshop yesterday. It made it there fine, first drive since december :)

Should be less than a week before its ready. Hopefully the wheels will be done then too. 2 are ready for painting, 2 just need a final flatting back. He said it took a day to prep 2 wheels ! Thats after they were shot and liquid blasted. They look amazing though.

Until there on, i cant make a decision about the width problem. He said VW guys lathe the seating face down, which is an idea. But he said they would have to be painted again, it would also change the offset.

Ill just have to wait and see i think.

Ordered all new front lights today, final thing to finish the front off i think.

DamirGTI

Blimey ! :) this looks very good :)

Damir B)

Rom

Ok. Update time.

Been pretty busy with other stuff, so has taken a while.

Saturday morning, picked up my wheels from Protyre. They were done by JB Autos, who done the bodywork.

Before they were pretty kerbed, with some dinks in them etc.

Wrapped in Goodyear Eagle F1s.

DSC01307.jpg

On the car, after its first wash since its got everything on. Took off the silver valve thingys...

DSC01324.jpg

After a clay, and some Zaino.

Not really tried to take pics showing reflections before....

DSC01335.jpg

Dont think thats bad for a white car ?

Drivers seat which i recovered with a passenger cover. Its still not perfect, but the old one was really bad on the outer side. Bolster had collapsed, stiching torn, leather really cracked etc.

Not treated or anything yet.

DSC01330.jpg

Badges from DrS :)

DSC01328.jpg

Rom

And, how it looks when i left it today...

DSC01336.jpg

DSC01337.jpg

DSC01338.jpg

DSC01339.jpg

DSC01340.jpg

DSC01341.jpg

DSC01342.jpg

DSC01343.jpg

Still got to hoover / clean the inside, and the glass too.

Got some French plates coming for it aswell. Im moving house this weekend, and wont be able to get lifts to work anymore.

So this is getting taxed on the 1st and will become my daily once more !

Whats the thoughts on the black trim then ? I was unsure wheter to go for it or not. But i thought standard textured grey plastic wouldnt do anything to set it off. White never looks as 'bling' as some colours, so wanted something to make it look a bit different.

Oh, and for those following the progress, thats the 309 beam and the Sls. Rears dont stick out as much as i thought they would. Gonna run it as it is for now, and see how it goes.

GLPoomobile

The shell looks absolutely stunning :) I love the painted trim too, but not sure about the tailgate panel, as it might be a bit too much.

But yet again I have to say that those wheels are a bad choice. Whereas the OE Speedlines look just the right size at 15", the design of those ones make them look smaller than they actually are. Yes, the choice of tyre and the ride height are contributing factors, but overall the wheels just don't look good in 15". Sorry, but I'm a known hater of them :lol: I also think you need to either get rid of them or change the beam as they still stick out too far and are limiting your ride height, which looks too high at the rear already.

But apart from that, stunning car, and I hope the Bristol TWOCers don't start picking away at it :D

Rom

I was debating on the trim. But thought it was all or nothing.

Not sure if it would look right if it had gray boot panel ? The guy doing at first said only do the bumpers and arches black. But everything else grey could look odd i think.

Guess well never know :wacko:

As for the wheels...my first thought when i picked them up from Protyre was wtf they look crap ! Looked a lot nicer without the tyres. The Eagles have a massive rim protector, but there growing on me. They do look small though ill give you that.

I used to run with it pretty low, like 1 finger between tyre and arch. Im now running at 2 fingers (very scientific!). I thought id still get some people saying its too low ! Guess your never happy eh GLP :rolleyes: You should have seen it when i messed up the measurements, and could get 4 fingers in there !

Im moving on friday, to a place with a garage. And a better crime rated postcode. The cars been sat at work, ive not wanted to bring it home, as knowign my luck, even for 1 night something will happen. So its staying put until then !

GLPoomobile

I dunno, I am happy sometimes :wacko: I shouldn't really criticise when mine is so neglected.

The rear panel would have been a dilema for me if I'd been in your shoes. I wasn't thinking that you could have left it grey, it would have to be black if it was staying textured. I just think painted it looks too shiny and 'in yer face'. But then the pics look crap as I'm using T-Mobile, so they are a bit pixelated and low quality. I'm sure it probably looks amazing in the flesh :rolleyes:

Rom

Im not great at taking pics either !

It is shiny, its growing on me, but when i first saw it on, it was a bit lairy as you say.

I guess i just didnt want it to look too subtle, and go un noticed.

Ludi

Absolutely PERFECT.

One of the best 205 in the world.

Very nice done Rom.

Viktor

miamichris

f**k me, thats some shine you have on that!! :rolleyes: well done mate!

Richie

Impeccable, its so shiny it looks dripping wet. Im a jealous man.

Rom

Plates arrived today

DSC01344.jpg

DSC01346.jpg

xxvickyxx

wow the plates really finish the car off. Looks mint

Rom

Been pretty quiet lately, just sitting back and enjoying it mostly :)

Got some pics taken by a guy whos trying to break into some semi pro photgraphy, this is the only one of the set hes given me so far...

205StinkLrg.jpg

Seems the bonnet water feature isnt quite upto the standard my home made bodge was ! Although it looks pretty.

First time its sat in rain yesterday, went out to it after work and had the oh too familiar misfire :D

Took the lead cover off today to dry out the water, and guess the lead had got wet one too many times and decided to break. The metal end stayed on the plug, and the electrode wire broke off inside the silicone.

Ive managed to repair it for now. While i look for a set of Magnecor ones, struggling to find anywhere with them in stock though. Hopefully its will last me to Pugfest and back :D

Been chilling and have some time off the car, after spending so much on it early this year. So not sorted the towing eye out still, nor the heated screen.

oz.

Dear me, that is shiny. If that was mine I'd have cramp in my face from grinning so much

grantley1988

looks great. Spotless! which toyota garage do you work at? would love to come an have a gander and a few tips on the conversion :mellow:

dcc

This car looks so much better in real life!

The effort and attention to detail really makes it a stunning example!

hexhamstu

Dont think I met you at pugfest but I did see your car and loved it! Good work!

Edited by hexhamstu

Rom

Thanks guys.

Stu, we didnt meet, i think Helen (Toms partner) pointed you out to me, but was the other side of the track.

Grantley i work at the one on Gloucester road.

Tom Fenton

Well I have to say, that looks super, good work. I must say I'd like to see what it looked like on a nice set of the standard wheels too.

djinuk

I love it man well done.. I been planning on doing my trim shiny like that , using a highbuild to loose the texture.. and you car has confirmed it works .. well :D Well done and be proud