• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davey205

Went Through A Big Puddle Now Its Fooked

davey205

hesitant gutless i barely got home im terrified the engine is wrecked help

maturin23

Easy tiger :ph34r:

90% chance it's just water in the ignition system.

Wait overnight for it to dry out.

If it's still not great in the morning get some WD40 on all the plug connections and coil lead and drive off all the moisture.

Edited by maturin23

richsmells

Crack out the wd40 and give the ignition components a squirt to disperse any moisture. I've done the same before.

davey205
Crack out the wd40 and give the ignition components a squirt to disperse any moisture. I've done the same before.

pictures ? diagrams lol im such a idiot :-(

Henry Yorke

It will only be knackered if water has got in the intake and that is pretty high on a 205 GTI and pretty hard to drown with a standard airbox. Just check the air filter is dry - remove it and then try starting it and see if it runs better.

Even hitting a puddle with a hot engine will not crack the block I reckon.

snooks

It's pretty much either dead or not with water. So as it's working i'd say more than likely your going to be ok following the advice of those above.

davey205
right ill go and have a look im dreading to find a soaked air filter ... we'll see

air filters bone dry thinking its water in the dizzy but i cant get the screws undone for love nor money they just wont budge and ive tried putting a bit of wd40 on them it doesnt help my tools are crap. i cant see the ignition components but i looked at the dizzy and the previous owner had put like a sleeve over it but it was all rotten, and a bit wet actually wish i could locate my ignition components then i could spray them with wd40 but i guess the filters dry so thats the main thing right?

Edited by davey205

bouver

Yes a dry filter is the min thing, you can be sure that the engine has not ingested water.

Sounds like you need to invest in some btter tools mate. Por quality ones will only cause damage. Also get an autodata manual for your car, then you will be able to find your way around it better!

As a hint look for wires, black boxes and terminals, put the wd40 here!

davey205
Yes a dry filter is the min thing, you can be sure that the engine has not ingested water.

Sounds like you need to invest in some btter tools mate. Por quality ones will only cause damage. Also get an autodata manual for your car, then you will be able to find your way around it better!

As a hint look for wires, black boxes and terminals, put the wd40 here!

can someone circle where i have to spray please *finds a quiet corner prepares to shoot self

Edited by davey205

steve@cornwall

Go start it ion the dark with the bonnet open, my guess is that blue sparks will tell you exactly where the problem lies

davey205
Go start it ion the dark with the bonnet open, my guess is that blue sparks will tell you exactly where the problem lies

i lied i didn't go through a puddle :blush: i got it steam cleaned which reading about afterwards is a stupid thing to do so i said i went through a puddle to appear less of a pillock :blush: anyway moving on ive pulled the plugs out water in no1 and no4 so going to dry that out tomorrow then hopefully open the dizzy with some decent screwdriver dry that out and then locate and spray my ignition components , feel like such a knob just hope its not permantly screwed

Edited by davey205

richsmells
:blush: The distributor IS an ignition component. A small squirt of WD40 will help disperse the water. Also check the plug to the coil mounted on the inlet manifold.

davey205
:blush: The distributor IS an ignition component. A small squirt of WD40 will help disperse the water. Also check the plug to the coil mounted on the inlet manifold.

i got water in spark plug 1 and 3 chamber but just a little at the bottom ive cleaned the ht leads they were quite wet and given a squirt with wd40 also dried the distributor and given it a squirt its running a bit better but still hesitant will this be because of the little bit of water in spark plug chamber 1 and 3 and if so tips for getting it out please should i get some of that stuff u squirt in to dry it out ?

Edited by davey205

maturin23
i lied i didn't go through a puddle :blush: i got it steam cleaned which reading about afterwards is a stupid thing to do so i said i went through a puddle to appear less of a pillock :blush: anyway moving on ive pulled the plugs out water in no1 and no4 so going to dry that out tomorrow then hopefully open the dizzy with some decent screwdriver dry that out and then locate and spray my ignition components , feel like such a knob just hope its not permantly screwed

hehe - well confessed :) you aren't the first to do this.

You'll not have any long term problems as a result of this, plus you're starting to get an understanding for the stuff under the bonnet, which is vital if you're running a 20 year old French baked bean can.

Take each spark plug lead off ONE AT A TIME, spray both ends of the lead, the top of the spark plug and the connection into the distributer cap and give it all a wipe with a dry lint-free cloth.

Do this for all the igition leads including the one from the oil - PUT EACH LEAD BACK ON IN THE RIGHT PLACE BEFORE REMOVING THE NEXT! :)

Remove the dissy cap and give that a spray and a wipe.

Should all be just fine.

davey205
hehe - well confessed :blush: you aren't the first to do this.

You'll not have any long term problems as a result of this, plus you're starting to get an understanding for the stuff under the bonnet, which is vital if you're running a 20 year old French baked bean can.

Take each spark plug lead off ONE AT A TIME, spray both ends of the lead, the top of the spark plug and the connection into the distributer cap and give it all a wipe with a dry lint-free cloth.

Do this for all the igition leads including the one from the oil - PUT EACH LEAD BACK ON IN THE RIGHT PLACE BEFORE REMOVING THE NEXT! :)

Remove the dissy cap and give that a spray and a wipe.

Should all be just fine.

phew its fine just dried everything really really well and vacuumed the water out of chamber 1 and 3 taken it for a long drive and given it a bit of stick didnt miss a beat :blush:

Henry Yorke

Glad you have got it sorted and a nice clean engine bay!! :blush: I have done this too in my earlier days

martyn180

U have a very smart engine bay though now

davey205
U have a very smart engine bay though now

well thats true it runs fine, is there anyway to make them run a bit smoother though? im assuming changing the sparks would be a good start ? (they look a bit on the old side ) and leads? i wouldn't trust myself to do the leads sounds complicated :blush: I've got a new air filter in the post (old one looks a bit on the grimy side ) also is it normal for a slight exhaust pop when you do a quick rev ?

mickie

no haha

davey205
no haha

:rolleyes:

no to what slight exhaust pop or possible to make them run smoother

kyepan

i also jetwashed my rover in my youth... itran like a bag of spanners until the moisture evaporated...

oli-pug

Didn't use a jetwash, but i once hosed down my engine after gunking everything in sight. I was 17 and had only owned the 205 a week :P

Was well gutted as i'd saved all my hard earned minimum wage pennies to buy the car. It wouldn't even start after the soaking so I sprayed the ignition bits with wd40 to disperse the water, but in the process managed to mix up two of the ht leads. That had me stumped for a while! :lol:

taylorspug

I still run the sponge and hose over my engine bay to clean it every now and then. Im just VERY selective where i spray it...

Plugs and leads are one of the easiest jobs to do on an engine. For the plugs just get a suitable plug spanner (sounds like you could do with buying a Halfords tool set) and make sure you dont do them up too tight! They literally need a small tug to tighten them down. Leads are easy, they just pull off and push on, do them one at a time and dont get them mixed up. Move from longest lead on the left to shortest. :lol:

Sign in to follow this