• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wardy18

Fitting A Stud Conversion

wardy18
If you're fitting the M12 x 1.5 into the Pug hubs that might explain why they are stripping the threads or pulling out when you torque them up!!

Graham.

No, the studs i was running were M12 x 1.25 to M12 x 1.5 conversion. I looked at the threads in the rear hubs yesterday and the threads are a write off, the sharp edge of each thread has gone so i can now see how teh grayston ones just pulled out.

Drilling out to 14mm and fitting 14.3mm splined studs is the way forward for me with the above in mind.

Thanks for all the comments and advice in this matter, ill be sure to post updates.

Tom Fenton

The Graystone studs are crap, we bought a set from Rally Design for our track car, all hubs tapped with a new tap before fitting, all threadlocked in place, within a couple of times of wheels on and off threads were stripping, no confidence in them at all, took them off and will be sending them back.

wardy18

I would never suggest anyone uses Grayston screw in and locktite studs, even though they tried telling me yesterday they are High Tensile, not a chance!!

I a bit dubious in going for their splined studs for this reason but dont know of any others which are reasonably priced??

jakey

Whoops!!

Just ordered Graystone ones i think!!! Will let you know how i get on, unless i die after they all fall off!! haha

wardy18

Good luck with them :)

Edited by wardy18

jackherer

Lots of people have had no problems with the Graystone studs. I have fitted three sets and had no problems with two of them. The third set was a total joke though.

Anthony

Yup, I'm guessing that it's a quality/batch control issue as I, like many others, bought some on the original group buy Pugtorque did 2-3 years back and have never had any issues with them whatsoever.

jackherer

Yes, my two good sets were from Graham's group buy and the bad set was more recent.

jakey

Fingers crossed then i guess!! :huh:

pug_ham
I would never suggest anyone uses Grayston screw in and locktite studs, even though they tried telling me yesterday they are High Tensile, not a chance!!

I've been running the same set of Graystone studs on my car ever since the first stud conversion group buy I did way back in April 2005 & they supply several other suppliers such as Rally Design, Demon Tweeks & Peter Lloyd rallying afaik.

Graham.

Tom Fenton

They do supply Rally Design, and they are utter garbage, or at least the set we bought were.

harryskid

I bought mine from D Tweeks so i would then presume they must be the same make. I was not happy at first when i fitted them as the threads seemed to be a bit short on the wheel side. They are on my rally car and i put them on to make wheel changing easier. I used the locktite as been suggested and in 4 events i've had no problems but yesterday i changed the wheels and found two studs came out on one hub on the back. So now i'am not so sure about them. Any one else had this happen?

:D

large

Yer. when I had money i got some from DT. Fitted with locktite (the red one=strong). This was about 3 years ago many wheel changes I have has one come out when changing the wheels but that has been it.

They don't look the best now and one of the studs had a bad thread on it when new but the wheels havn't come off and its alot quicker on wheel changes.

harryskid
Yer. when I had money i got some from DT. Fitted with locktite (the red one=strong). This was about 3 years ago many wheel changes I have has one come out when changing the wheels but that has been it.

They don't look the best now and one of the studs had a bad thread on it when new but the wheels havn't come off and its alot quicker on wheel changes.

Funny that, one of mine had a bad thread too but they did change it for me!

pug_ham

When I did the group buys I checked them all & found there were a few with bad threads so I got the people that supplied them to me to get me some replacements FOC.

On the more recent group buys I@ve checked them & had any bad threads were replaced beforte i sent them out.

Quality control must've dropped off judging by the replies from people who have bought them since the group buys I did but all the ones I have (from all three group buys) are still fine.

Graham.