• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
philfingers

Mi16 Started, Oil Pressure Is 90psi Stone Cold. .

Jon_Bmw

Hot idle is around 35. After 15 minutes of a beasting around a track, it drops to 28psi, which is still 2 bar. I might change the oil to something more resistant to 'hot' use. The cheap 10w40 Vauxhall trade club semi is probably not giving it as good a protection at high temperatures as a 'decent' rated oil.

Cold idle isn't as good as yours Phil, around 70, but then its just got a standard spring and hasn't been rebuilt ;)

philfingers

probably not ideal but in my Integrale I used to run HPX 20w60 which was developed for older turbo cars. I ran it in my old 309 (which didn't have any form of oil cooling) and even after a real ahrd run it always held good pressure, where as a 10w40 would have the low pressure light on. It was £20 for 5 ltrs, full syn. Which was pretty cheap. You could order it from any Fiat dealer

brumster

That's a fair point too - I'm running 0w40 fully synthetic, so I'm not surprised at my figures... I'm sure a thicker oil would keep it up a little, but oh the internal drag :wub:

JeffR

I also use the stronger spring from the XU10 in my 1.9 Mi track car, along with larger crank sprocket/longer chain combo & get 70 psi on start up & cruise, 25 psi idle when warm.

Car has external remote oil filter & 16 row oil cooler using 20W50.

I've fitted a mechanical oil press gauge & will soon add a oil temp gauge. I wouldn't rely on the std ones too much :wub: .

DRTDVL

Right replaced all the fuilds yesterday. Oil was a Motul 20w50 and the oil pressure problem is still there. I'll be going to the mecanhics tomoroow to get hm to check out the pump...

Incidently after changint eh brake fuild, i've got massive amount of pedal travel before the brakes start working... but now the brakes are actually working....

gr....

Jon_Bmw

To keep this up to date.

Oil obviously gets past its sell by date the more you use it.

I was seeing just 60psi cold idle but the oil may have done 2 or 3 trackdays. :( Changed the oil for the exact same 10w40 as I was being too lazy to get some expensive stuff. Back up to 81-83psi cold idle. Drops to 35 when hot idle still. Before the oil change and after my last post it was coming down to 28psi regularly without a spanking.

Sign in to follow this