• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
philfingers

Mi16 Started, Oil Pressure Is 90psi Stone Cold. .

philfingers

Well got my Mi started today. Couldn't get fuel pressure, opened the unions and they were sucking in air, then figured I got the wiring the wrong way around (it's on bullet connectors). So turned the key and after 3-4 secs it started and idled perfectly, just aswell as still need a throttle cable! I guess it's just the 405 Mi one, or will any one for a 405 do?

oil pressure (with Fuchs full syn 10w40 diesel oil, cheap at £20 for 5 litres) was about 90psi stone cold ticking over, is this normal? It's got the yellow GTi6 spring in it) which is 6 bar right? So that's 90 Psi more or less. Just was a bit of a shock to see oil pressure that high.

Last thing when I was checking the system over yesterday I was thinking the fuel circuit wasn't working. Am I right in thinking the 8v always primes for 2-3 secs with ign on, with out the motor running? Should the Mi do the same (2 row) or will it only run the pump on cranking?

what a relief to know it runs! Just need to tidy the inside up, put front leg/hub/brakes back on. Another week I guess!

The Gti6 sump, with spacer, mocal cooler took 6.8 litres of oil!

Phil

bensonmi

congrats on gettin it running! as for the throttle cable, i used a 309 one from a motor factors which is universal, so just cut the excess away,405 prob be the same :)

Mikey S

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Accelerator-Cable-KI...Q2em118Q2el1247

thats the exact same kit i used on my own mi16. just cut it to length.

my 2 row mi16 doesnt prime the pump. it only runs when the starter is engaged.

mike

edit:

well done for getting it running, feels great when it fires for the first time. :)

Edited by pugger

Rom

My Mi with a diesel spring in the pump (i cant remember what i used!) is at the top of the scale on cold idle. No idea what that equates to in psi / bar.

Cable wise i used a 405 Mi cable, though you might be able to use a different one ?

Fuel pump wise...mine primes constantly, with ign on. Dont know if there meant to cut off or not !? Thats on 2 row aswell.

philfingers

I have a seperate oil pressure gauge. Actually it's rare collectors item, a redex! But i have a new 100 psi Mocal one to go on when I get the interior all sorted out.

Thanks for the tips (and congrats!, sure does feel good when you turn it over and 3-4 secs later it fires and idles). Getting itchy feet to get it finished now!

Phil

d-9

Some mi16 ecus prime for a couple of seconds, but most (all?) of the 2row ecu'd ones Ive seen only run the fuel pump when cranking. Slightly annoying really, Ive wired mine up to the aux out on the alarm, so it primes for 10s after Ive unlocked the car.

Fuel pump should not run constantly if the ignition is on, its a bit of a safety issue. If you have a crash and cannot turn the igntion off, it'll carry on pumping petrol, which is a bit of a fire hazard. Of course, usually in a crash the battery comes flying off and ends up in the nearest hedge, but you never know!

welshpug

oil pressure like that is quite normal on a healthy XU10, my 60k mile gti6 engine shows that from cold and drops to 4 bar warm.

Cloverleaf

Good work. Very satisfying when it first runs.

My 2 row only gives power to the fuel pump when you turn it over.

DrSarty

My 2 row ECU used to prime the pump/system on ignition position 1 as well.

Stu

Excellent news Phil!

And yeah, from cold with 10-40 semi synth i see 85-90psi cold idle, a little more when on the move till you get a bit of heat into the oil.

Dunno about the fuel pump priming; so far as i was aware they only run whilst cranking/running?

SPGTi

Well done Phil, I will have to pop round . You can start helping me now you've nearly finished. :(

Steve

philfingers
Well done Phil, I will have to pop round . You can start helping me now you've nearly finished. :(

Steve

just my house to rebuild now. .. . . . . Feel free to pop around, there everynight other than Tuesday this week

Rom

Thats a good point about crashing, and the fuel pump :(

I cant remember how i wired everything up. I know i have a relay for the pump under the bonnet (BX loom). Spose i should think about getting it to prime for timed period....not sure where to start.

Anyway. Glad your happy Phil :) Alwaysa good feeling when everything goes well.

mattmk1

I wouldnt bother worrying about the pump not priming as all mi6 2 row cars iv driven only power the pump when cranking. At worst it means the engine turns over a few times more before firing, but thats no bad thing as it just helps build oil pressure etc before it bursts into life. Wiring the pump to prime with ignition on just aint worth the hassle. They all fire after a few seconds of cranking so not like its on the strter for 20 seconds whilst fuel pressure builds etc.

philfingers
I wouldnt bother worrying about the pump not priming as all mi6 2 row cars iv driven only power the pump when cranking. At worst it means the engine turns over a few times more before firing, but thats no bad thing as it just helps build oil pressure etc before it bursts into life. Wiring the pump to prime with ignition on just aint worth the hassle. They all fire after a few seconds of cranking so not like its on the strter for 20 seconds whilst fuel pressure builds etc.

I agree was thinking the same thing. it just struck me as odd that's all. And totally agree d-9 it shouldn't be wired to run all the time. Had it running last night for half an hour, just idled perfectly. Whihc was a surprise TBH. I paid a lot of attention to all the hoses on the inlet side but the TBH has some play in the spindle so was expecting it to hunt a little but nothing. Engine bay is mostly finished now, need to start on the inside. Going to drop the steering column, just wished i'd cut the studs off before I put the dash back in

Phil

DRTDVL

Would you guys be able to tell me what the idle oil pressure should be when the engine is good and hot?

I'm seeing it drop to 2-3 psi... when i hold the rev's up to around 1200 - 1500 rpm its around 20psi...

Stu

Hot idle on mine during road use is probably 35ish PSI, after a hard session it hovers around 20-25PSI.

But if you've got the standard gauge/sender i wouldnt pay it much attention mate, mine did the exact same thing, after a session at Donny the oil pressure gauge wouldnt even register, but with the mechanical one im seeing 25psi, ive got a low pressure light too that activates at 25PSI so they kinda calibrate each other.

Edited by Stu

DRTDVL

this is on a mechancial guage...

oil temp is around 80 - 100 when this happens....

philfingers

Sounds to me like you need to pull the sump off and investigate before it gets worse if it's that low with a proper mechanical gauge instead of the Mickey Mouse one pug gave us. Sorry i have no idea about mine yet. I haven't put new bearings in mine so it's not fresh, tho they looked fine when I had the bottom end apart. I had mine ticking over for 30 mins last night in the garage and the oil temp never moved really and the fan never cut in either as it didn't get that warm, then it is 2degC here last night!

philfingers

Sounds to me like you need to pull the sump off and investigate before it gets worse if it's that low with a proper mechanical gauge instead of the Mickey Mouse one pug gave us. Sorry i have no idea about mine yet. I haven't put new bearings in mine so it's not fresh, tho they looked fine when I had the bottom end apart. I had mine ticking over for 30 mins last night in the garage and the oil temp never moved really and the fan never cut in either as it didn't get that warm, then it is 2degC here last night!

philfingers

sorry for double post, damn pc said failed! please delete Moderator!

DRTDVL

Maybe i should start a new thread...

Temp's here recently have been 24+ ^C...

The bottom end supposably has been rebuilt before the last owner did his one and only event in the car and i know the mechanic that did the work.

It's only doing it when the engine oil temp is above 80^C so no idea... I'll look at pulling the sump off soon, as i wanted to check for baffling and a windage tray anyways.

C_W

Mine has the stiffer spring in (1.9 Mi16) and cold oil pressure is off the gauge even when driven slowly (no more than 2500rpm). When hot it can drop to the first bar on the gauge. The stiffer spring isn't worth it really as all it does it provide higher peak pressure when it can and does nothing to combat oil surge.

brumster

Mine sees about 18-20psi at 100deg or thereabouts, at idle (ie. fresh off a stage). It never drops below 25psi (my warning limit) on general/mildly quick road use, at idle.

Sign in to follow this