• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
edbar

[trackday_prep] 309 Gti Trackday Car

Tom Fenton

Agree with the above regarding the EBC pads. You won't go wrong with Ferodo DS2500's though, they are top notch.

edbar

Was hoping to get some longer braided ones before the Track day but may end up moving them the other side as suggested for now.

jackherer

Its not safe to drive with those hoses as they are IMO It wouldn't pass any MOT or scrutineering etc. Even with longer hoses you need more than a cable tie. I have used P clips held to the strut with a jubilee ring when I have fitted struts with no hose clips on them.

EdCherry

The AVO dampers would stay compressed as they arnt gas filled...

dave_gti

Nice pug, and nice work on the thread and updates, im sure its inspiring to others as it is to me ;)

Ill be in mallory park in may too, not on track tho, im looking forward to seeing it there just asmuch as i am to smash the ford ;)

Edited by dave_gti

edbar

Had no idea that only gas dampers returned, thanks for the education. Was worth replacing them anyway as the KYB's are much better now.

Will probably give the p clip and jubilee idea a go as that seems like a good idea.

Thankyou for all the comments, like iI said the car isnt finished by any means but now the repairs are done its development from here onwards.

edbar

Quick update. Had my tracking done today at worcester tyres and exhausts. WAS TOEING IN 5 DEGREES BOTH SIDES! No wonder it felt really unstable and wheelspun so much! Had Justin set it to parrallel, its like night and day, the steering weights nicely, more traction, feels so much more stable at speed and cornering hard. Had no idea it was out so much but the rest is all good with the rears toeing in slightly as they should with the xsara VTS arms on. A good job well done. Now th echassis is set up.Monday is rolling road day..................

edbar

Today I have been at Aldon Automotive having the 309 set up on the rollers. Had only one issue which was that the tps sensor wiring was duff so the 3d facility doesnt work. However after balancing the carbs, changing the fuel pressure, changing the idle jets and some mapping in particular the mid and low range and it was done....

IMG_3730.jpg

IMG_3731.jpg

167 BHP and 147lbft.

Im very happy with the figures as it has standard size valves and combustion chambers, the car drives so well now and has even more low and mid range than when it went in. New boots to go on tomorrow..

swordfish210

Decent result, when's the next outing?

edbar

Mallory on saturday at PPC in the park. Will be the cars track debut. The figures aren't record breaking but it just thumps the torque out from 3000rpm on makes over 127lbft peaking at 147.

swordfish210
Mallory on saturday at PPC in the park. Will be the cars track debut. The figures aren't record breaking but it just thumps the torque out from 3000rpm on makes over 127lbft peaking at 147.

It's nice to have some low down torque, and through a good range.

edbar

Yeah really has so much shove of torque that goes on forever, with the 1.6 box your always on the go!

edbar

Mallory went very well for me and the 309, it didnt miss a beat all day so happy with that and managed to outperform some rather "better" machinery so good result I feel.

So on the sunday after, a trip to see Anthoney secured a nearly complete S16 lump. Need a few bits to complete but nothing major.

Today I'm cleaning the head ready for porting.

Before

IMG_3740.jpg

Soaking in engine cleaner...

IMG_3742.jpg

Bootlid after the spoiler made a break for freedom..

IMG_3741.jpg

Had a spare bootlid lying around so removed the spoiler, cleaned all the mating surfaces and liberally coated with bond and seal and fitted it up.

IMG_3744.jpg

Rich_p

Can I ask how you managed to cleanly remove all of the under bonnet foam stuff?

welshpug

my 309 appears to never had anything there Rich.

Rich_p

Mines covered in it but it's glued on and a right pig to remove.

Anthony
So on the sunday after, a trip to see Anthoney secured a nearly complete S16 lump. Need a few bits to complete but nothing major.

Today I'm cleaning the head ready for porting.

Minor point, but it's an XU10J4R engine - it's much closer to a GTi-6 (XU10J4RS) engine than an S16 (XU10J4 - which is basically a 2.0 Mi16)

Good luck with the build, and glad to see that the bits and pieces are going to good use :lol:

edbar

My bonnet never had any foam or sound/heat proofing.

Thanks Ant, like I said im not clued up on the 16v engines :lol: But yes it is definately going to good use. Gunna be a monster im sure.....

Nickmatthewsrallying

'Can I ask how you managed to cleanly remove all of the under bonnet foam stuff?'

I would say in the same way you remove the head lining, if it is stuck on. :D

edbar

My bonnet didnt have any sound proofing. Getting a fibreglass one soon anyway. And I just ripped the headlining out without any trouble. :mellow:

edbar

Right, bit of an update.

a couple of weeks after the trackday the car started popping gear rods off, developed an oil leak, and the rear bumper bracket rusted off!

Also the front grill was knackered! So ordered a set of gear rods from miles, phase 2 front grill from baz and set about getting the car healthy again. Havent got any pics of the gear rods on yet but they have made a massive difference to the shift so very happy with that now.

Old broken phase 1 grill.

IMG_3792.jpg

Phase 2 Goodwood grill from Baz.

Prepped for paint, decided to try it in satin black to match the rear panel.

IMG_3793.jpg

I quite like it, definately prefer phase 2 to the phase1 grill, bodywork really needs attention but it always plays second fiddle to mechanics......some day it will be resprayed.

IMG_3795.jpg

Traced the leak to the seal on the oil cooler sandwich mount and considering i dont use one anymore and if I do in the future I'll get a mocal I decided to get rid.

IMG_3794.jpg

You can see the splits in it so was a good move, however it was still pissing oil! I was so frustrated so I took it to R.P.M to get it on the ramp as I suspected a duff crank seal. After washing everything off with cleaner then running the engine the front leak was gone now without the sandwich plate on but as suspected the leak was from inside the gearbox so main seal it is! But thats for another day.

Edited by edbar

edbar

Took the car to pugfest today to have a go at the hill. Had a great time, nice to meet baz and stu baker and be around other pugs and like minded owners. Car didnt miss a beat all day although my fourth run was scrappy to say the least touching the gravel at the first hairpin but apart from that I was very happy. A few pics of the car at full del monte!

IMG_3838.jpg

IMG_3821.jpg

IMG_3823.jpg

IMG_3848.jpg

and Dan in his standard 1.6

IMG_3829.jpg

IMG_3847.jpg

edbar

Almost forgot that I bought the alloy sandwich mounts from Stu Baker of BBM, nice chap. So with those fitted the beam will be fully solid mounted :P

IMG_3849.jpg

edbar

Fitted the solid sandwich mounts to the rear beam last night. Thankyou leigh and allan. The rear now feels even tighter so a job worth doing I'm sure.

IMG_3850.jpg

edbar

After pugfest I decided to pay attention to the rather s*ite bodywork! So I'm going to prep it myself with help from friends and get it sprayed white by Russ at custom body repair.

Progress so far, and please bear in mind that the car is to be abused and raced so I am not going concours just a freshen and tidy up.

As the rear end was, big dents and little scabs all over especially rear arches and tops of rear wings where the spoiler has rubbbed and had naff repairs before.

IMG_3744.jpg

S5004406.jpg

S5004405.jpg

S5004407.jpg

Will keep doing little sections at a time at home then do final prep at custom body before paint.