• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
edbar

[trackday_prep] 309 Gti Trackday Car

edbar

Bought a 309 GTI in feb 08 that was in need of attention on all fronts, suspension, engine, bodywork etc. Well i like a challenge so that didn't bother me as i fancied another project that was cheap, handled well and was very tuneable so the 309 GTI fitted the bill nicely. Had to replace the top mounts and drop links and reset the avo adjustables to get it to corner somewhere near the mark.Also replaced the front brakes with a hi-spec big disc upgrade with saxo vts calipers. Had alot of fun blatting around as it was then the rear beam started creaking alot and the engine cooked due to a bad fan connection so then developed a heavy smoking habit :) after a few weeks i decided to take it of the road and try and sort it so i could trackday it and have some fun.25082008101.jpg

25082008103.jpg

Got a spare head with the car so set about porting it myself,New guides,Kent vs52 double valve springs with custom platforms and modified retainers,modified standard valves, new seals.

02082008084.jpg

02082008085.jpg

02082008087.jpg

Double springs are in there but not visable, shame because they are fantastic pieces of engineering.

02082008086.jpg

Then had a chat with a few people and decided on getting new 45's not second hand because the cost of rebuilding and buying used compared to the deal i got with new it wasn't worth the hassle, and they're all shiny new :lol:

28072008081.jpg

28072008082-1.jpg

Spiky

sweet :lol:

nice and shiney :)

projectpug

Nice work, What cam are you planning to run with them double valve springs?

edbar

All will be revealed soon! Then got all the gaskets and head bolts, cam belt etc.

02092008116.jpg

And a new water pump.

02092008118.jpg

Then bought a second hand engine that needed a crank re-grind, had it hot washed then sand blasted and painted the block and rocker cover le mans blue enamel.

07092008127.jpg

The block is in excellent condition so was maintained well with anti freeze/corrosion inhibitor, so i have a good base to start with!

07092008128.jpg

And a few pics of the dummy assembled head. Looks quite good i think.

11092008133.jpg

11092008134.jpg

The thing that has surprised me the most since i bought the car is that all women hate the 309's looks but most guys love it.Retro and you get people over the phone saying god havent insured one of those in a while its a classic etc, or my uncle had one when i was a kid and i love them. I always wanted one in the 80's/90's, just love the look of it and got tired of seeing them broken to give parts to 205's so decided i would do mine to stay around and hopefully give a 309 presence at trackdays.

daza4

where did you get the carbs from then approx what sort of good deal did you get ???

trialster

very cool to see another 309 on here <_<

keep up the good work..

edbar

Got the carbs from Aldon Automotive, cant say the deal i had in case they cant replicate it for anyone else sorry.

Sandy

Good work :)

Tom Fenton

What you need now is a nice shiny blue pulley to go with your blue block and cam cover :)

edbar

Already have tom and it is very good, thanks for the great service!

a few pics of parts aquired over the past few months!

GRP A oil pump spring, GRP N headgasket, ARP rod bolts.

18092008140.jpg

XU 10 sproket and 52 link chain.

P1220320.jpg

Goetze piston rings.

P1220321.jpg

MI16 main and big end bearings.

P1220322.jpg

Genuine peugeot crank thrust bearings.

P1240320.jpg

Fuel pressure regulator.

02092008119.jpg

Genuine peugeot clutch.

P1240321.jpg

P1240322.jpg

More pics to come soon :)

edbar

More bits for the engine.

Cat cam pulley.

P1220325.jpg

Tom fenton lightweight 8v bottom pulley, very nice indeed!

P1220326.jpg

Newman 300/490 camshaft.

P1220323.jpg

P1220324.jpg

A friend and myself had a go at doing a basic baffle system in the sump and i would like peoples opinions on whether they have done something similar or if it will starve the engine of oil completely?

marking out the oil pump.

05092008122.jpg

05092008123.jpg

First plates in.

05092008124.jpg

05092008125.jpg

Finished and painted.

09092008132.jpg

09092008130.jpg

All comments welcome!

edbar

Advertised in the wanted section for an inlet manifold for the carbs and after a long wait pugger got in touch and had one ready to go! So set off locally to collect from his brother in law who is converting to mi16. It was better than i could have hoped, Nicely ported with a sort of balance tube joining the two manifolds(tiny little air holes in ports). So i sand blasted them and that removed the oil and crud on them and now look like new! So here are pics of what i will be doing today, port matching them. They also have a bronze locator bush so they do not move on the head.

Offered up to the head.

P1250325.jpg

P1250320.jpg

Now inside the individual ports, only need minor fettling to head and manifold so time to dig out the die grinder!

P1250321.jpg

P1250322.jpg

P1250323.jpg

P1250324.jpg

Will post pics later of the end result. :huh:

edbar

Had a few hours on the grinder this afternoon, finished matching the manifold to the head and also helped a mate out by porting his exhaust manifold for his 2.3 duratec race car. Some of the pictures show a partially finished port so if you see a bit of a step they are all now gone, and also don't let the ali swarf worry you the head will be disassembled and washed and blown out with an air line.

Head sat on my home brew porting stand, what a godsend it is.

P1280327.jpg

P1280328.jpg

Now through the manifold.

P1280323.jpg

P1280324.jpg

P1280325.jpg

P1280326.jpg

Now ports all tidied up.

P1280329.jpg

P1280330.jpg

The engine is now ready to be sent away, just need to decide on the exhaust, get misab plates and filter,linkage for the carbs and torque bush and then its time to strip the old out and get the new shiny one in! Cant wait! :)

edbar

Oh need a 1.6 be1 box aswell!

Tom Fenton

Looks like you have done a nice job matching the manifold to the cylinder head, I'd be tempted now to drill and dowel the manifold to the head, so that it always goes back in the same place, to make the most of your work.

daza4

I have two 1.6 gearboxes in my garage

you are welcome to make me an offer for one of them if you want one.

Daza

Send me a PM if your interested.

edbar

Tom it has bronze locating bushes so it always goes back the same or else yes would have dowelled it. It's a very good manifold but have no idea who made it.

edbar

All parts now at don loughlin engineering for machining and final assembly! After a chat with don and steve this morning i might have to go for 1.6 pistons to achieve the 11.5-1 compression recommended for the cam, so possibly yet more expense but hey ho will be in the car soon enough now! :)

BackStreetRacecars

loving this..... cant wait to see another 309 on the go.... what are you planning for the shell? strip out? buckets cage etc??

edbar

Yes will have cage/buckets and seam welded shell. Do 205 cages fit the 309's? My friend has one for sale from his 205 omp i think.

Piccie of my buckets.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q14/eddgt/saxo_stuff3.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q14/eddgt/saxo_stuff4.jpg

Sat in every bucket seat in demon tweeks with an open wallet and found these the most comfortable for me being 6'7". Was surprised thought i would be coming home with recaro's! And the equally comfy and gorgeous sabelt 6 point harnesses that cost a fortune but safety is important!

edbar

Had a phone call from don yesterday, I need 1.6 pistons to safely achieve 11.5-1 compression ratio so thats more expense unaccounted for! ;) But i want it done right so cant complain too much. Had a bargain yesterday though with this!

P1300326.jpg

Bit of surface rust but after a quick go with the sand blaster.

P1300328.jpg

Going to try and do the rest today and see how it comes out. There is now talk of converting the rear end for coilovers, cant wait to get it in the workshop and start building it up :D

edbar

Well the sand was a bit damp to blast the cage so that will have to wait.However on sunday i took a trip to meet Dazza4 and buy one of his be1 1.6 box's. Really nice bloke and very helpfull, thanks daz! So yesterday i gave myself the task of cleaning the box in the freezing cold and snow! :D

Got the box, gunk, and some brush's.

P2020320.jpg

After two sessions with gunk and a couple of hours.

P2020321.jpg

P2020322.jpg

And let that dry then had a couple of hours with some truck wash and the wire brush's.

P2020323.jpg

P2020324.jpg

Really do get a build up of oil and crap all over the box thats been on for years but now its done it will be alot nicer to work with during the re-assembly!

edbar

Yesterday spent a couple of hours sanding and painting the end cover, clutch cable holder and lever.

P2030320.jpg

P2030321.jpg

Cloverleaf

Looking good mate. Very thorough

cybernck

out of interest, did you plug the driveshaft holes prior to (jet)washing it?