• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dan_cole69

Am I Just Being Stupid?

dan_cole69

Hi, ok where to begin. about three months ago i bought a peugeot 205 cj from a friend of mine who didnt have the time or the enthusiasm to carry on with the car. The car was in pretty good nic and there was just a few niggly bits that i wanted to sort out.

post-12953-1231753078_thumb.jpg

I finished the bits and everything was fine i was getting ready to put it away for winter when i was given a 205 GTI engine from someone i used to be friends with. B) . I know what your thinking "why is that such a bad thing" but it opened a whole big can of worms.

So as you can guess i decided to attemped to but the engine in the 205 but not untill i had given it a novice refurbish. lol. (i will be opening another thread soon on how i got on).

Everything was fine i have had the engine apart and now it is almost back together, just waiting on a few bits witch i will be getting soon. but my problem is the more i read the harder i believe it is going to be. i know i have to change the subframe and driveshafts thats not the problem, its that i have to wire in a ecu (i haven't got a clue how to do it) and i think i have to change the fuel tank for the pump and everything along with the fuel lines.

Am i wright and is there anymore things i should know before i commit myself by taking the engine out?

and my final question is am i being stupid for doing it?

opinions and answers will be greatly appreciated ( because im about at my wits end)

Thank Dan

Edited by dan_cole69

Anthony

That's DaveW's old motor isn't it?

My personal opinion is that you'd be better just buying a CTI in the first place rather than mess around changing yours over, but if you really want to do it then it's possible, You've covered most of the points in your description, but off the top of my head:

Change gearbox for a BE1/BE3

Change (or modify) subframe for one with BE compatible linkages

Change driveshafts (1.6 GTi ones will fit your existing hubs)

Change complete exhaust for a GTi one

Change clutch cable and (I suspect) clutch pedal for a BE1/BE3 one to match your choice of gearbox

Change fuel tank, fuel lines, and fuel filter for injection

Wire in engine management loom and fit ECU/tachymetric relay

Add additional wiring for fuel pump

Probably a few other little bits that I've forgotten.

Alot of work in my opinion when you can probably sell your car for what a half-decent CTI will cost you in the first place, and have more straightforward insurance, find it easier to sell, and benefit from the higher spec that the CTI is as standard over the CJ.

dan_cole69

I think your right anthony, its just too much work. thanks for the quick response by the way. ok then my next question is then What is it worth? I dont want to have it up for sale for ages becuase i will just change my mind. B) .

cheers dan

Edited by dan_cole69

Mark205

Ive done XS to Gti conversion.

Unfortunatly for you i decided to go the easy way round and fit bike carbs to it instead of faffing about with injection systems, ecu etc.

You dont need to change the subframe, (if you want wishbones you will), but i kept my lower xs arms and subframe.

I put bilstein springs and dampers on, 1.9 hubs and shafts, 1.6 calipers, some racing style brakes and that was the drivetrain, suspension and brakes sorted.

You could if you wanted to use the original clutch cable with a bit of modification, (i did but then decided i wanted a brand new cable and so i ordered a gti one).

Used the xs clutch pedal, you just have to get a clutch cable with a plastic yoke.

You will have to get the gti gear linkages though as the xs ones are slightly different and will not fit with the be3 box i have.

Of course gti exhaust will be needed.

Need a fuel pump oviously.

I had loads of problems because a lot of the time i hadnt thought of stuff that i was going to need and so it took longer to do.

Dont know how far you have got with yours so posting this a sort of a guide for you.

Ive probably missed a few things but their is a lot of stuff i did to it.

My first conversion though and i look forward to the next one.

Mark

Edited by Mark205

danpug

Its a fair bit of work but its not that bad imo. With regards to the wiring, just swap the complete looms over, thats what i did when i did a tu-xu conversion my old junior. If you are thinking of going to all the effort though you might as well make it really worthwhile and 16v it..............................

Edited by danpug

humanz

Just got done converting my XS to a GTI. The list Anthony has done up sounds about right, but it's pretty easy if you've got a donor GTI with all the parts you need. Then it's pretty much a straightforward swap (as was my case). The first thing you need to check for is the right-hand engine mounting. Once that's identical to the GTI one (in the same location too), then just swap everything over. When it gets to the wiring business, swap the entire looms over, running the wires along the same paths they originally ran in the GTI. But as I said, that's if you've got the car's pretty much side by side.

M_R_205

If you can perswade someone to remove the loom from a gti intact then you on to a winner, it will then just be a case of swaping it all in (you will also need the fuse board for the pump connector) on the bright side the lighting looms are the same across the different models so they will just plug straight in.

It is ALOT easier to just fit carbs, and the sound is addictive :)

swaping the fuel tank and lines is very easy an hours work at the most, oh and the exhaust, another 10 mins work.

Now quit moaning and get on with it :o