• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
u47sb2

Why Would My Fuel Pump Fuse Blow?

u47sb2

Bit of background: car is a 1.6 GTi rally car prepared to 205 challenge regs (i.e engine/box remain pretty much standard). Original fuel tank/pump set-up.

Anyway was out for a run in the rain to make sure it's water tight (another story!) and the engine died. Would turn over but not fire up, and a look at the fuses revealed the blown 15A fuse to the right of the board. Swapped in the horn fuse and it fired up. Got home and replaced the fuse then today went out for a run on the same roads again, no problems.

My questions is what might have caused the fuse to blow in the first place? I don't really want to lose time or retire from an event due to something that I might need to fix now.

cheers, Steven

pug_ham

Bad earth connection, fuel pump on its last legs & demanding more current than the rated fuse when it gets warm are possible reasons but the supply wire insulation might have worn or chaffed through so it tocuhes the body occasionally & blows the fuse.

Graham.

u47sb2

Looks as though it may have been a dodgy earth - the wiring on the car leaves a lot to be desired!!