• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
swinney88

Battery Warning Light Staying On

swinney88

i've done a search but i cant find anything. my battery warning light is staying on but its very dimly lit.

johny105_y2k

try searching for charge light m8 .

cut a long story short your altonator's probably had it. But there is other stuff to check 1st.

you'll find loads under charge light

jimistdt

May be worth checking the connections on the Alternator.

When it illuminates it means the battery is draining/not charging.

Rob Thomson

The other thing to check is the infamous brown multi-plug which is vaguely under the thermostat. Clean up the terminals and try that.

BERTMAN

also try the conections on the starter motor, tighten em up...

swinney88

i've just put a new spade connection on the starter. i've just been out to the car and the brown multiplug is ok the connections are clean. Now it wont start it turns over. When i turn the key again it turn's over slower and still wont start. Then it just does nothing. The battery is pretty new so i dont think it's knackered but it's definately flat. So i've got it on tickle charge. I haven't got my multimeter at home it's at work so ill have to get it tomorrow. So it looks like i'm going to have to get a new alternator. I was so hoping i could drive to work tomorrow for the first time in about a month but it look's like i'll be on the bus again. If it didnt put such a smile on my face i would have got rid of it by now.

Arahan

Any update on this?

large

Sounds as if the alternatoris on its way out and your battery is now flat.

chris-gti

Mine did this when the battery was on its way out, usually if you turn all your electrics off (radio, rear window heater, lights etc...) the light will fully go out.

on the other hand it could be a slipping alternator belat or has already been said, the alternator on its way out.

the dimly lit light tends to indicate that there's just as much coming out of the battery as going in.

it could ofc be a bad earth or other form of wiring fault.

my advice is get a multimeter on the battery and see what voltage you are getting with the motor running.

Guest DebtMan

Just a thought...if you started off with a fully charged battery, you ought to have enough juice to kick the motor over and make a journey, poss more depending on the length. OK, you're alternator's not gonna charge your battery, but you could get somewhere in order to get the alternator sorted.

DM

Edited by DebtMan

macamizer

get a multimeter on it 1st, check the charge rate,should be be between 13.5 &14.5

swinney88

yeah alternator is getting replaced next weekend i put a new belt on and tightened it slightly to see if it was a cheap fix but no it needs a new alternator so off to gsf to get one and a couple of new calipers that i need.

Sign in to follow this