• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kala

Cutting Out And Then Not Restarting When Warm?

kala

Hi, i am having a few problems with my 1991 205 gti 1.9.

When i brought the car it Kargeroed at low speeds like most do but wile i was at in traffic it decided to start missing and cut out, so i started it back up and i had to keep the rev's up to keep it running.

I had to do this a few times but i managed to get her home.

Decided to replace some items such as the distributor and arm, oil filter, spark plugs and leads and gave it an oil change wile we were at it.

We also replaced 3oil vapor hoses as these were bugged.

So started her back up and she ran lovely until she got warm and then i lost all power and then cut out again.

I next took the car to a local garage who tested it for rough running and bad starting when hot, they then tested the ignition and injection system.

The garage then fitted a new ignition module and told me he suspects a fault in the wiring, possible short in the loom and that the fuel pressure is high and that the VAF sensor voltage is high- possible requires fuel regulator and VAF sensor.

My mechanic friend then took a look at the car and we decided to replace the AFM and the Throttle switch thingy. He also fiddled about with the air etc to get it to run correctly untill warm. This has been previously been messed with before i brought the car.

Still no difference when warm so we took the car to get the emissions tested to see if there is an air leak, which there is not.

My mechanic now thinks i should replace the distributor and the ignition coil and module as they are currently inter-motor products and he doesn't like them. He said hes had alot of problems using them in the past. Has anyone else had a problem with there products?

So now what do i do? Do i keep replacing items until i get lucky? Or do i get an auto electrician on it?

I'm fed up with paying for parts and labour and not getting anywhere!

Since buying it Ive only been able to drive it a few times as Ive been fixing things such as the oil vapor hoses and the rear quarter window seals!

Its getting frustrating now!

Any advice and options on what to do next would be wonderful!

Mikey S

ive never had any personal problems with intermotor products, i have a few of there parts on my mi16 and a freind has loads of bits and bobs on his redtop calibra without issues.

seeing as the car is starting to die when it gets up to temperature, it must be a sensor breaking down under the heat. i would personally look at the ecu temp sensor or the igntion module at fault. i had a similar running and starting fault on my own mi16 and it was the temp sensor at fault, it can play real havoc with it when it fails.

while youre checking the switch, get your mate to check the wirng for the ecu temp sensor and make sure its ok. if it has an bad earth it can give faults like you describe as well.

hth

mike

kala

Thanks for the quick reply

I just want to get some more ideas of what it could be before he comes back again so weve got a list of things to try!

I'm just not mechanicly minded!

Thanks!

DamirGTI

Buy a second hand Bosch MTR 01 ignition amp (can find one on your local scrapyard or better still here on the forum ..) , clean up the back side of the amp , clean up the amp mounting plate and (this is important) : apply heat sink paste/jelly at the back of the amp (cos it'll start to overheat and can burn out if done without the heat sink paste ..), refit it back on the plate and tight the two mounting screws ..

Yes i've also had bad problems with "Intermotor" electrical parts .. :P

Damir :(

j_turnell
Buy a second hand Bosch MTR 01 ignition amp (can find one on your local scrapyard or better still here on the forum ..) , clean up the back side of the amp , clean up the amp mounting plate and (this is important) : apply heat sink paste/jelly at the back of the amp (cos it'll start to overheat and can burn out if done without the heat sink paste ..), refit it back on the plate and tight the two mounting screws ..

Yes i've also had bad problems with "Intermotor" electrical parts .. :P

Damir :(

Agreed, get a bosch ignition amp and see if that sorts the problem.

kala

Ive just had my friend change the distributor, ignition amp and module for original parts and it runs better now! <_<

Just taken the car out and for a blast, we've decided it also needs a fuel pump as it seems short of fuel now and again so I'm going to replace this as well!

The brakes had seized up because it has been sat for a wile now so once Ive sorted these out as well I'm off!!!

I'm just so glad that we've got it sorted! thanks to Baz for the parts i needed and everyone for your suggestions etc!!

Sign in to follow this