• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
All Praise The GTI

Problem With My 306gti-6

All Praise The GTI

right i recently bought a six ph2 and i happened to notice it has odd headlights, one side has 3 plugs and bulbs the other two. h4/h7's i think but didnt mind as i was planning on getting crystals anyway. since i had a little prang in it the passenger side didnt work on low beam, i gave it a little tap and it was fine. now its stopped working again,tapped it then whacked it but no joy so i guessed the bulb was dodgy. i was just about to pop out and remembered,didnt want get pulled so swapped the bulb and it stil doesnt work??? any suggestions please? its the headlight with a 3pin main bulb h4 everythink else works except low beam that side!

really need sort this as want drive the car but its dark and need use my lights obviously and i cant aford risk getting pulled and fined again :)

Anthony

I know Phase 1 306's had two different headlights - one on the lower spec models that was a single reflector, and one on the higher spec models that had dual reflectors. I don't know if the same was true of Phase 2's or not, but if it is, that might explain the difference.

As for the fault, my guess is a bad connector or wiring issue. Easy enough to check if you've got a multimeter available?

marksorrento205

I know my rallye has two H7 bulbs in each light unit if that is any help.

All Praise The GTI

i hav a mutimeter but im not very good with it :)

its the single h4 bulb headlight on low beam thats not working. it went before and i tapped it and was ok,now it just wont work. tried a new bulb and i whacked the headlight in frustration...stil no joy.

dont understand how full beam works but not low????

omega
i hav a mutimeter but im not very good with it :)

its the single h4 bulb headlight on low beam thats not working. it went before and i tapped it and was ok,now it just wont work. tried a new bulb and i whacked the headlight in frustration...stil no joy.

dont understand how full beam works but not low????

have you power there?

All Praise The GTI

erm... full beam works so i guess so???

Richie-Van-GTi

On thet 3 pin plug you should have 2 lives and 1 earth. 1 live is main other is high and last pin earth. Unplug the bulb, switch lights to high beam andstick your meter across 2 pins at a time until you get a reading. If its negative then your red probe is in the earth, if its positive then its the black probe in the earth. with the black probe in the earth check with red probe which pin is giving voltage, then drop to main beam and check the other pin now comes live. If not its a wiring issue.

marksorrento205

I know it sounds daft but do you know the bulb you tried is working ok, i.e you borrowed it from the other side, and that you have not just put another sha gged bulb in? I have bought brand new bulbs that dont work.

All Praise The GTI

thanks richie il try that 2morro if can find my multi meter.

ive tried two bulbs one ew but you could be right jst because its new doesnt mean its ok. cant try bulb from othe side as its a h7 there ;) will check a working bulb from my other 6 or my mums dturbo tomorrow

thanks guys

much more helpful then the 6 forum :)

dino20vt

Could be a dodgy earth, years ago, I went into the back of metro, ever since the front lights misbehaved. The car is long gone, and I never tried, but you could work out which wire is the earth and bypass it with a feed straight from the battery.

All Praise The GTI

thanks for all the help guys,i solved this problem this morning.

i tried bodging it yesterdy as i needed drive at night,i put a wire from the side light to the low beam pin on bulb. it blew and i lost the sidelights so i knew id blown a fuse. checked the manual and changed the sidelight fuse in the board under the dash. whilst checking the manual i saw that there is a separate fuse box under the bonnet and theres a separate fuses for the low and high beam and for left and right.

one 10amp fuse and voila :lol: