• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
claypole1360

Getting Steamy

claypole1360

This is a question I have been hesitating over the asking of, for fear of an expensive response.

My standard 1.9 produces an awful lot of steam out of the exhaust pipe when warming up, I know that it is winter, but even when it has been running, it still emits some white smoke/steam. Is this an issue that I should I be worried about?

cheers Claypole

large

Are you using coolant? If yes it could well be the head gaskit :) . Its not all bad you can diy HG kit about £60 with bolts and you may as well do the timing belt and water pump £30 the job should notcome to more than £100 all in so its not the end of the world.If you get the head skimed that is only about £30-£40.

If No, :D all round.

djinuk

its been real cold lately, mine does this aswell.. ive always been told , dont fix it till its broken , but i think its just condensation out the eghaust mostly

Tom Fenton

Every single car out there is pushing out steam at the moment, just keep your eye on coolant level, but chances are its OK.

Anthony

As said, if it's not using any coolant then I'd not worry too much about it - you will get alot of steam out of the back when it's very cold/damp as it is at the moment. Once it's properly upto temperature and been on a decent run (say a few miles on the motorway) then the steam should all but disappear.

claypole1360

To be fair, it is running well, and not using coolant, just that the car behind me seems to disappear when I'm stationary.

Hohum, thanks for the responses.

Claypole

Sign in to follow this