• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rom

Rust Above Quater Window

Rom

Hi guys.

As some of you may know. My car is in the bodyshop for a respray, and to sort out some bits and bobs.

Theres rust on both sides, above the rear quater window, where the shell cracks. Which has been left :blush: by myself for too long. Its gone through the panel rather than just scabbed now.

The bodyshop just rang, saying that the drivers side is too bad to repair, he would rather have a new panel (or from another car) Hes said he likes doing things properly, and trying to repair it would be a bit if a bodge. Hopefully he means this, and isnt just saying it.

I know nothing about bodywork really.

Peugeot dont seem to list the part. Unless my parts guy is wrong. I cant get on Service Box at work. The rear wing panel stops at the top of the C pillar, so is no good. The rear inner wing panel goes all the way to the B pillar. But its going to be the internal bit ? Not the outer bit thats actually rusted ?

How have other people tackled this rust ?

If i was to cut it from another car, does it need to be a Gti ? Are all models the same in that section ? With the swage in the panel etc.

Suffice to say im a bit miffed now, as im already paying a fair whack, and now need more major work by the sounds of it.

Thanks for any help

Chris

toddydal

grinding over the rust and filling it is a bodge but cutting the rot out and putting a plate in with fresh steel and then filling over isnt,im sure the boys in the body shop can do this rather than trying to get a whole new panel or like youve said sorce one from a scrapped car and chop the bit you need and then weld it to yours youl have to take the headlining out though but either way is possible

Rom

There fabricating a plate for the NS i think. But he said the OS is too bad to do.

With the amount of work to do i think he just means its better to put a new piece in. What with that swage line and all. The rot had spread to the bit underneath aswell, that wraps under towards the window.

toddydal

its a pain in the arse for the poor panel monkey who gets the job of doing it but like iv said anything is reparable if you know what your doing,me personally i would have a go at making a piece and welding that in but thats me as i like a challenge

DamirGTI

Got any pics so that we can see this ? :blush:

Damir

Rom

They guy is taking pics yes. Im going down on saturday, so ill grab some myself then.

Ive found a donor at a local breakers, the guy will hopefully cut it out over the weekend he said.

Toddydal...i know what you mean, ive seen some amazing fabrications on the net etc. I think he just doesnt want the hassle of making a panel, if i can get a replacement easy enough. Im sure he would if there was no alternative. At least i hope so :blush:

Ill get pics up over the weekend, its pretty bad, and that was just when i picked the scabs, i imagine its a lot worse now its been cleaned up etc.

toddydal

it is easier that way as youve got the swage lines already so its just to cut out and weld in with a skim of filler,i hope it goes ok for you,how much are you paying for the respray?

Rom

Yeah i hope its ok too... Ive seen some of their work, and its spot on.

Its gonna end up around £3k :blush:

toddydal

must be alot of work for that much but like i say you only get for what you pay and as long as its done right it should last

Rom

There rust above both quater windows, NS not as bad though. Bubbles of rust in bottom corners of front screen, and in centre of back screen.

Bubbles on OS arch where it meets sill. This is all light bubbling, but is easily visable.

Removal of door locks and bonnet bins. All dents etc obviously. Engine bay is being painted, all shuts, both sides of doors, boot and bonnet. And all trims being painted.

Think thats about it...until the next probem :blush:

Rom

As promised, pics of the offending section.

post-7946-1231610073_thumb.jpg

post-7946-1231610101_thumb.jpg

Not the best pics. But should give a general idea. I didnt realise it had gone along towards the A pillar too. Its been picked at to reveal, didnt look quite so bad before it went in :P

Theres another hole the other end of the quarter window too. And a lot of the stuff that hasnt been prodded on the underside of that piece will go through i guess too.

My own fault for leaving it.

On a more positive note, the parts he has been doing look great. And after a nice long chat with him today, im very happy about how its going, and exactly how in depth hes going.

toddydal

thats easy repairable i spent last night plating the inside of my mates passenger door where the hinges go took about 1hr but when its done youl never know,theres not a mark on the outside of the door just the inside fronts rotton,,,,,,did you cut a replacement piece off another car or is he just gona fabricate a new bit with some steel

Rom

Im getting another bit cut off.

He said he could do it, and would if it was something rare, and unable to replace. But he said its not worth it if i can get a replacement.

Looking at it myself, it does look a job. Youd have to fabricate that whoel section, and it has so many different edges and curves.

b14jay

From looking at the pictures, would have thought he could repair it without to much trouble.

Sure he could fabricate something to strengthen it, if it is more structural than it appears.

Rom

I dont know enough about bodywork, just what he said.

From what i saw, he would have to make a pretty big section, ive highlighted what it looked like to me, it would go right they way back to the c pillar, as theres holes all the way down.

post-7946-1231664064_thumb.jpg

In a way, i think id be happier with a new panel. Theres a lot of curves, and edges etc to get perfectly right.

toddydal

its a doddle you just have to have everything made before you start cutting it out