• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bakes100

Worth Getting Eccentric Top Mounts?

Bakes100

Hi guys

I have fitted to my car a set of Gaz GHA coilovers, I brought them second hand and they have longer threads than the ones that came off the car so i assume they are for eccentric top mounts. I have them fitted now although the adjusting knobs are close to the bonnet when closed.

Is it worth buying eccentric top mounts? i dont want it to be too crashy, its used as a fast road/occasional trackday car.

Also is there an issue with these knocking?

Thanks

hexhamstu
Hi guys

I have fitted to my car a set of Gaz GHA coilovers, I brought them second hand and they have longer threads than the ones that came off the car so i assume they are for eccentric top mounts. I have them fitted now although the adjusting knobs are close to the bonnet when closed.

Is it worth buying eccentric top mounts? i dont want it to be too crashy, its used as a fast road/occasional trackday car.

Also is there an issue with these knocking?

Thanks

how have they felt so far? ive got them aswell and have never liked them that much, what "clicks" do you have them on.

http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e100/hex...-12-05_2054.jpg

are the ones i have

kate205gti

if you can get them set up properly..

i bought eccentric top mounts for my bilstein coilovers and tried a few settings and really didnt get on with them, more stable at high speeds round corners but general driving felt like i was driving on ice!! theres a pic in torque magazine when i went to cadwell park with them on :blush: or rather my back end facing the wrong way!! just didnt inspire any confidence for me so they came off again for group N rubbers and standard - but some ppl swear by them so suck them and see :)

Bakes100

I meant is there issues with eccentric mounts knocking? i think Spikey mentioned his doing it once.

I find the gaz coilovers good (compared to the old fixed rate spax's). I have them set on 10 clicks from softest running 225lb 9inch springs. Thats with a gti6 engine and it sits about 35mm down on standard :blush:

MerlinGTI

Got GHA's and the GAZ eccentric top mounts on my road gti.

The first reason for having them is being able to adjust the camber. They are far higher quality than normal top mounts and should last a lot longer if given a drop of oil every now and then, they also make the steering more precise and lighter.

As for making the car feel like it was ice, I can only presume you didnt have them set up propley. Probally too much negitive camber, mine felt a bit of a handfull when I had 1.5deg of negitive camber at the front steering wise and i had sod all traction. Now im running standard camber at the front, 0 toe and 50-60(ish)mm drop and its fantastic. When I can be bothered to do another geo I will try out half a degree of neg camber at the front which I reckon will be perfect.

Anyways, I would recommend them ;) (oh no bonnet clearence problems here either, and certinally no 'knocks', I cant really see how they could cause a knock?)

Edited by MerlinGTI

Sandy

Like any spherical joint application, once it's worn it will knock. The problem I had with mine on the 309 (20K or so road miles on them), was the bearing sleeve was moving inside the hole, which knocked. I Loctited it in and it was ok after that. The extra steering precision if they're set up correctly is appreciable. With standard diameter springs, the spring cups can foul the inner arch. They add about an inch to the ride height too,if they're underneath.

Edited by Sandy

MerlinGTI

That explains the knock ;)

philfingers

Stew at Baker Mounts is making up some which have independantly adjustable castor and camber and look the business. the problem with most is that you can't change camber without castor.

My road rally 309 ran about 1deg40mins camber and parallel tracking in and was great at that. Running with PTS 205 tarmac springs ans inserts

Phil

welshpug

That sounds very interesting Phill, I know the type you mean as I've seen some on a 206, and I seem to remember Shiny's 205 having something similar.

Guest Jamie1986

I've ordered a set in the GAZ group buy so will find out soon I guess.. :D

Although I will be getting mine set up properly by somewhere like Powerstation in Tewkesbury

Obviously if they aren't set up right it will be worse than standard and I don't know enough about suspension geomatry to try my hand B)

C_W

I think what you want its more caster on a lowered car. When I ran 309 wishbones for neg camber to try and combat feathering the outer edge of the tyres on track, it reduced it a little but not much and scrubbed the inside edge of the RHS tyre away.

welshpug

by more castor do you mean an angle steeper, i.e move the strut forwards, or shallower, move the strut back?

C_W

Bringing the top of the strut backwards towards the bulkhead. This should mean it will reduce tyre edge wear without resorting to too much static camber. Only problem is that I think it adds steering weight and might be a bit much without PAS??

Bas
Stew at Baker Mounts is making up some which have independantly adjustable castor and camber and look the business. the problem with most is that you can't change camber without castor.

My road rally 309 ran about 1deg40mins camber and parallel tracking in and was great at that. Running with PTS 205 tarmac springs ans inserts

Phil

Almost

there:

adj-top-mounts.jpg

philfingers

those are the ones, I wasn't going to post a picture up until they were there on the website. They use the proper bearing too, as used on the Gp A PTS units from what I understand, so they should last, unlike some cheaper ones on the market

They look the business

MerlinGTI

They do look the nuts!

Rom

Oooooh :)

They look better than most ones out there. Prefer the fact they mount normally, then adjust elsewhere, rather than having to unbolt mount to adjust each time.

Interested how they will fit, shock wise. Ive got Gaz coilovers with BBM top mounts atm. When i spoke to Gaz about swapping to Eccentrics,, they said i just needed a different collet ?

Nothing about some struts being physically longer from factory to accomodate Eccentrics as ive heard ?

Fingers crossed ill be able to use these when there ready.

MerlinGTI
Prefer the fact they mount normally, then adjust elsewhere, rather than having to unbolt mount to adjust each time.

My lord it was a pain in the ass Geo'ing my car and trying to unbolt/move/re bolt the GAZ top mounts, geo mirrors on etc... Put me off 'fine tuning' !

This is a far better way of doing it as long as theres enough adjustment. I say this as the Tien top mounts ( same princible) on my mates starlet (micra turbo :) ) have very little scope for adjustment! A guess would say 45 minutes absolute maxium.

Martin W

I’ve been trying out a set of Stew Bakers eccentric top mounts and they fit the Gaz coilovers just fine, there is plenty of adjustment and they allow you to set the –ve camber with accuracy rather than the other type on the market. These are by far the best I have seen for a 205 so far.

Bas
I’ve been trying out a set of Stew Bakers eccentric top mounts and they fit the Gaz coilovers just fine, there is plenty of adjustment and they allow you to set the –ve camber with accuracy rather than the other type on the market. These are by far the best I have seen for a 205 so far.

Luckey b*st*rd :ph34r:

I offered my Peug as a test rig, Stew did not fall for it...

Anyway Stew is trying to get them on the marked mid februari 2009.

arnold naber
Luckey b*st*rd :D

I offered my Peug as a test rig, Stew did not fall for it...

Anyway Stew is trying to get them on the marked mid februari 2009.

Hey... i'll give you a huge discount on the first dutch version... off course i need a good review off in :P

As said above mid feb. they should be finalized.

Rom

Did you specify eccentric mounts when you got your coilovers? Ive heard that the actual thread is longer if there meant for eccentric mounts.

I didnt ask for this. But Mark at Gaz seemed to think i would only need a collet to change them to use with eccentric mounts.

Did you swap from normal mounts to these eccentrics ? Or from previous eccentrics to these ?

Chris

welshpug

looking at the picture, the design could be easily adapted to work on a 106/saxo, or a 306/zx/xsara by simply using a different outer section.