• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Fox

Cooling Fan Wiring

Fox

Before I had the 6 lump in my car, I had a switch on the dash to turn the fan on and off when required. This was switch triggered a relay I'd put under the bonnet and turned the fan on. I did this because the standard wiring (I thought) had been chopped.

Basically, I want to know what the two plugs on the radiator do so I can wire them into the new twin fan set up, and so they come on automatically.

• Looking from the front of the car, on the right of the radiator is a blue connector block, with three pins, what's its purpose?
  • And again, looking from the front but on the left is a round connector, with three spade connections (like this |_|) What does this do?
  • Where is the original relay for the fan? I'd like to use this if possible

Can anyone help?

welshpug

errrrr, sounds like you have 2 fan switches! should only be one used.

the standard single fan setup has no relays, simply a Fused feed from the shunt box, the 2 speed thermo switch, resistor for low speed, and the fan itself, then earth.

twin fan setup uses relays, slow speed driving both fans in line, high speed driving them in parallel.

twin fans IMO is overkill, there was a reason they were only fitted to diesel an A/C models!

Anthony

The blue connector block is the one that you want ideally, as that's the fan thermoswitch that's correct for your car (and the same as 306's etc, so much easier to source a replacement for).

The other odd connector is the earlier style Phase 1 thermoswitch, which you won't need.

There is no relay on the standard GTi fan setup (only on the diesels) and hence the thermoswitch has full current running through it, and is part of the reason (in my opinion) of why the standard GTi fan setup gives problems as a few amps current and corroded connectors is never a good combination. On my car I've chucked the standard wiring away, and fitted a modified diesel fan loom which has a relay and has never given me an ounce of bother.

Fox

Cheers chaps, that explains the lack of wiring on the left hand side then!

I think there might be a 205 diesel in my local scrappy, I'll whip down and see if I can get the loom and relay

I dont suppse you know which connector does what on the thermoswitch?

I assume one is low speed, one high, and the other? earth?

BackStreetRacecars

sorry for the hijack but I have a silly question....(sorry) where is the fuse for the cooling fan??

Anthony
sorry for the hijack but I have a silly question....(sorry) where is the fuse for the cooling fan??

In the battery distribution block (the black cigerette packet sized box behind the passenger light) underneath the lift-up cover.