• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kyepan

Difficulty Engaging Gear And Vibrations At Tick Over

kyepan

Hi there,

My release bearing has always been a bit noisy, i've changed the bearing itself and the clutch, and the clutch arm (be3), but over the past day or so the first second and now reverse have become increasingly difficult to engage. Finally last night there was a strange vibration through the cabin when at tickover, which went when you depress the clutch.

Things i know - or are pretty sure about

I'm getting full travel as the clutch is completely disengaging, it's not edging forward when in gear at the lights, and you can rev it freely when rolling with the clutch in

The pedal pops up slightly after about 30 seconds of driving without a gear change.

The release bearing is sounding more noisy than usual, rattly even.

Clutch arm is not fouling on any pipes or cables

No bearing noise that i can hear from the box itself

Going to check

Gearbox oil level - as the pulsar was a pig when cold or low on oil..

Possibly replace the clutch cable for a new one - it's old and is probably frayed

gear linkage is not fouling on anything - i've got miles gear linkages, and it got a bit rattly so i bushed it with some o rings - may remove them

The plastic guides that hold the clutch arm - these were so brittle, would not suprise me if they have broken screwing up the clutch movement.

What do people think as i'm a bit confused, i'm getting full travel (i think) yet it's engagement is poor. I would moan about it being cold and not wanting to take the box off, but this is the first time something has gone on this car that i have already replaced (apart from wishbone bushes that are dead again).

last question, what causes the release bearing to rattle when the clutch is not engaged?

J

Edited by kyepan

welshpug

whining that goes when you put your foot down on the clutch says Input shaft bearings to me, especially if the clutch has recently been replaced.

Bearing rattle would be caused by an ill fitting bearing and un-even pressure plate springs.

I'm sure MIles could answer better than me though.

nick

I had this rattle when the bottom bolts fell out of the gearbox, it would shake the whole car when you let the clutch out but disappeared completely when in.

Nick

Anthony

As per Nick's comment above - make sure that the lower gearbox bolt hasn't come out

Fox

I echo the above comments, It happened to me on my 106 and luckily I was able to nip them up in time.

It also happened to a mate whilst traveling up from Devon, his gearbox just about fell off from what he told me!

Kennyb

Yep check bolts :blush:

kyepan

bolts - genius.

will check as that makes perfect sense.

thanks everyone.

J

Edited by kyepan

kyepan

we have a winner,

box was holding on by 1 1/2 bolts.... oh dear

time to go rape the silver one in the wokingham scrappy for bits.

thanks again everyone.

Tom Fenton

The bolts you need are M10 capheads if you can't find any in a breakers.

t16ryan

They normally come loose when you havent fitted the dowels,

Sign in to follow this