• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SOUPED

2l Xu10j2cte Turbo Conversion

SOUPED

I have a '91 205 GTI 1.9. I have a 2l turbo engine to put in it. Currently I have:-

Engine + Anccillaries,

Piping,

Loom + ECU,

VSS Box,

I am in the process of purchasing:-

Gearbox,

Intercooler.

Could anyone who has done this conversion please inform me on what other components I would need.

I am aware of a T-piece connector for piping, could smeone tell me what size and where to get it from.

Also with reguards to the gearbox I am thinking a 1.9 BE3 box is the way to go. But I've heard something about the gears being too long for this engine as the turbo kicks in around 2500 rpm - 4500 rpm (roughly) can somebody clarify this and also I,ve read up a 306 d-turbo box can be used as gearing suits engine more. Has anyone done this.

Also is there someone on here who has had a gearbox with custom ratios made if so who much.

Thanks for your time

Henry Yorke

1.9 box should be fine for this conversion. I have an Mi16 box with a 1.9 final drive so it is like a 1.9 with a longer 4th and 5th for cruising.

M@tt

The hoses on the turbo conversion are a bit of a pain

you want to got to your local screwfix and get a bag of 22mm 90degree bends and 22mm presoldered straights (the ones with the ridges on which are good for helping seal when clamped up). You'll also need a single 22mm "T" piece which you can get from B&Q.

I'd recommend going to a scrappy and pillaging a load of coolant pipes of varios peugeots/citroens as i had to make up a couple of pipes from various other hoses.

For example because i've lowered my radiator i had to make a new pipe that went fromt he metal pipe in the drivers wheelarch to the bottom of the radiator out of 2 other pipes and join them together with a bit of metal table leg from B&Q ;)

the thin expansion tank hose that goes to the top of the radiator also needed extending so i needed some 8mm pipe to join sections togehter.

HTH

bales

To be honest I have found the BE3 a bit too short especially when they are running more power, there is lots of info on hybrid gearboxes about on here, a common mod is just changing the final drive on the BE3 but I would research around for exact answers.

As the engine only tends to rev to 5krpm before running out of puff you tend to only do about 45-50mph in 2nd and about 75mph in 3rd which is great on twsity lanes but a bit annoying on motorways.

In comparison my mk4 golf does about 70mph in 2nd and 100mph in 3rd which is a bit ridiculous really!!

SOUPED

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll be taking your advice and sourcing all these bits before it gets going.

On the gearbox side of things I will probably stick to a 1.9 BE3 box but I am very interested in having a custom box made.

On another note I found a guy selling a close ratio MA type box and he insists that with some modding this box would fit on any XU engine though I don't believe him, has anyone done this sort of thing. The box is dogleg teeth 106 compititon/rallye box. The guy who is selling says his friend insists it will fit you just need to change the bellhousing and match the right driveshafts up. Can someone clarify.

welshpug

Even if you could, I would not fit the MA box to an XU, they have enough trouble keeping together with the power of a standard GTi/VTS engine as well as the Rallyes, it wouldn't have a chance on a turbo XU.

On the other hand, how much is he after for it?

SOUPED

Sorry my bad this is exact desciption:-

peugeot sport 6 speed dog box with zf lsd recently rebuild, BE gear box on TU bell housing, can be converted to xu bell housing so im told

rose jointed gear linkage kit

cup car drive shafts

I haven't contacted them just browsing as considering options

need to contact:-

give me a call on 086-1521603 or email me

jp@ruthmotorsport.com

For enquiries please contact:

John Paul Ruth, Tel: 056 7790530 Mob: 086 1521603 Email: johnpaul@ruthmotorsport.com

SOUPED

Just out of interest the box I've just listed sounds like a GTI-6 box is that right.(probably not)

Obviously getting my facts mixed up as its an XU box with TU bellhousing not an MA box. (sorry my bad)

Damn arent you not supposed to list stuff.

Hope I'm not in trouble

sonofsam
To be honest I have found the BE3 a bit too short especially when they are running more power, there is lots of info on hybrid gearboxes about on here, a common mod is just changing the final drive on the BE3 but I would research around for exact answers.

As the engine only tends to rev to 5krpm before running out of puff you tend to only do about 45-50mph in 2nd and about 75mph in 3rd which is great on twsity lanes but a bit annoying on motorways.

Yeah would totally agree with that!

For costum 'boxes it would be worth speaking to Whizzer (Tris) off here, as He has experience with this engine and different ratio gearboxes etc.

Id like to try a 306TD 'box on mine as it's a daily driver, so maybe in the spring I will be able to comment on it's suitability

SOUPED

Cheers Matey,

Have read alot of your posts and love your car!!!

I shall try and speak to the person in question!!!

Thanks

whizzer71
Yeah would totally agree with that!

For costum 'boxes it would be worth speaking to Whizzer (Tris) off here, as He has experience with this engine and different ratio gearboxes etc.

Id like to try a 306TD 'box on mine as it's a daily driver, so maybe in the spring I will be able to comment on it's suitability

Hi Sam hows the beast ?,306 TD box is way too wrong,3rd and 4th being about the best gears,from memory I think the final drive ratio is around 4.01 and first 3.31 way too short,2nd isnt much better at 1.88,youll be far better off using your 1.9 box either with 3.59 or 3.47 FD's (Headlings car has 1.9 ratio set with 3.59 really makes the best use of the torque delivery / low rev limit on this engine) if you wanted a really tall 5th for motorway use then use one from the 205 D box .76 from memory.

You wound the boost up yet fella ?

Regards

Tris

:lol:

Edited by whizzer71

jengis
Hi Sam hows the beast ?,306 TD box is way too wrong,3rd and 4th being about the best gears,from memory I think the final drive ratio is around 4.01 and first 3.31 way too short,2nd isnt much better at 1.88,youll be far better off using your 1.9 box either with 3.59 or 3.47 FD's (Headlings car has 1.9 ratio set with 3.59 really makes the best use of the torque delivery / low rev limit on this engine) if you wanted a really tall 5th for motorway use then use one from the 205 D box .76 from memory.

Regards

Tris

All second gear ratios themselves are the same with all the options suggested. The main thing you need to match is the final drive ratio. The 1.9 box has the best spacing of ratios out of them all (1st isn't too short and the others are nice and close) and with a 3.62 final drive its pretty low overall.

I don't have a that engine but if I did it would have the standard 1.9 box

welshpug

well you've found the right guy's to ask about the gear ratio's for this engine :lol:

hat gearbox you described is quite a special item, very much what my brother would like in his Saxo, I doubt it'll be cheap at all though!

whizzer71
All second gear ratios themselves are the same with all the options suggested. The main thing you need to match is the final drive ratio. The 1.9 box has the best spacing of ratios out of them all (1st isn't too short and the others are nice and close) and with a 3.62 final drive its pretty low overall.

I don't have a that engine but if I did it would have the standard 1.9 box

Weve sampled the std 1.9 box coupled with the turbo engine,suffers with the dreaded wheelspin and you're forever changing gear,boost next cog so on and so forth in short useless ,doesnt make use of the torque at all,Its suprising what difference changing the Fd ratio makes,even if it is only going from 3.68 to 3.59.

If you think about it...whats the torque on a std 1.9 Gti engine compared to a std 2.0 ltr turbo lump,and then a 2.0 ltr turbo unit running more boost,I dont know the figures off the top of my head ,but as always the proof of the puddings in the eating and Ive sampled plenty of pudding !

welshpug

119 LBFT for a standard healthy 1.9 :lol:

sonofsam

Regards

Tris

:blush:

Hi Tris,

Great mate, apart from a missing live in the loom somewhere=no spark (AA tow truck this morning!)

Will stay well away from the 306 'box in that case.

I still have a TDFD sitting in a box in the garage! Being very slack lately :D standard boost and cam :)

Regards

Sam

B)

Somewhere around 175 LBFT for a 2.0T. I would guess.

Sign in to follow this