• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
iamjackiechan

Cylinder Rust In Mi16

iamjackiechan

hi

im currently rebuilding my iron block mi16 and noticed that a few of the cylinders have a bit of very light surface rust.

should i be worried at all.

cheers will

Cameron

Yes.

You might be able to get away with giving them a light rub with a fine scotch pad or you may have to get the bores honed, depending on how bad it is. You need to make sure that you give the bores a really good clean and then coat them in some oil in future. Don't touch them with your bare fingers either as you'll get rusty fingerprints in them.

Edited by Cameron

iamjackiechan

i have regularly oiled them, but the rust looks like its eating into the side of the cylinder, not sitting on top

dcc

that sounds bad, im sure you could get away with a rebore and new pistons though if needs be.

matty_gti
i have regularly oiled them, but the rust looks like its eating into the side of the cylinder, not sitting on top

I'd get them honed. I had a small amount of surface rust on some liners and after being honed you can see the smallest indentations where the rust has eaten into the metal.

iamjackiechan

could i get away with a rebore and just new piston rings, cant really afford pistons

iamjackiechan

does anyone know how much honing would cost me

Tom Fenton

You can't have it bored and use the same pistons. Depending on how bad it is you might get away with a hone and new rings, my m/c shop charges me about £30 for the hone, a set of rings for 1580/1905 XU are £65 plus VAT (bought some yesterday), so I'd imagine the 1998 ones will be a similar price.

Sign in to follow this