• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
djinuk

Dead Battery, And Overheating 205 Help!

djinuk

Well i had a terrible morning. I got up for work , came out to the 205 turned the key and had a dead battery, so i walked up the hill close to myhouse where i keep the r5, remove the battery off that and fit it into my 205, and hey presto is jumps into life. I then begin the 8 mile journey to work however just as i pull into the parking space the STOP light is lit and i notice my temp is very high, i turned the car off and pop the bonnet and can smell heat, I undid the water bottle lid slightly and surely enough it pressurises and spurts slightly out the sides. My question is what should i be looking for on my lunch as to the reason of the over heating, and is there a chance its somthing to do with the battery dieing aswell ? Also is there any chance ive caused any damage such as headgasket etc, im gutted really because im at work now so cant really take a look at it , and i need this car to get me home :) please help, its never been trouble before with regards to overheating.

bondo

It was a very cold night last night. Are you certain that you have adequate antifreeze in your coolant? It happened to me years ago in similar circumstances - the water was frozen and the car overheated, tried it later and it was fine (didn't do any damage either).

djinuk

maybe , it is certainly possible that i dont have adequate anti freeze, only thing is wouldnt have of caused problems at the start of the journey as opposed to 7/8 miles later?

Retro Pug
It was a very cold night last night. Are you certain that you have adequate antifreeze in your coolant? It happened to me years ago in similar circumstances - the water was frozen and the car overheated, tried it later and it was fine (didn't do any damage either).

This happened to me too - not enough antifreeze, was fine later. It did not happen from start - took a while for the engine to warm up in really cold weather.

djinuk

thanks guys you are giving me hope, ill be honest in saying i know its lacking antifreeze, just seems crazy that a car can overheat before it melts the water to allow it to cool if you understand where i am coming from.

bondo
thanks guys you are giving me hope, ill be honest in saying i know its lacking antifreeze, just seems crazy that a car can overheat before it melts the water to allow it to cool if you understand where i am coming from.

It is overheating the water in the engine, but because of a plug of ice somewhere else the water isn't circulating properly and the rest of it is stone cold.. It is like running it with 1 litre of coolant.

djinuk

i understand now, makes perfect sence, ill drive it home keeping a close eye on temp on way back then and get soem anti freeze for it. Thanks folks, next task it to find out why its killing batteries, as its not the first time.

Sign in to follow this