• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stimpysaurus

Spare Wheel

stimpysaurus

I'm hoping someone can give me a bit of advice on a wheel issue.

I was going to stick my spare on but iv just noticed a couple of things:

1. the tyre is slightly dented on the sides where its been in the cage

2. the tyre isnt the same type as the others (its a pirelli p6000 the others are toyo tr1)

3. the width isnt the same as the others either (the toyos are 195 and this is 185)

can i use the wheel with this tyre on or will i be forced to use the bus until i can get a new one?

bensonmi
I'm hoping someone can give me a bit of advice on a wheel issue.

I was going to stick my spare on but iv just noticed a couple of things:

1. the tyre is slightly dented on the sides where its been in the cage

2. the tyre isnt the same type as the others (its a pirelli p6000 the others are toyo tr1)

3. the width isnt the same as the others either (the toyos are 195 and this is 185)

can i use the wheel with this tyre on or will i be forced to use the bus until i can get a new one?

if its in good cond you could use it temporarily until you get another 195 profile tyre. firstly though, check it all over for cracks,perishing or splits etc then if its ok check the pressure then use it! id prefer to stick it on the back so you'v still got even profiles on the front. but dont forget to change it soon :)

stimpysaurus

there's a couple of small nicks on the surface of the tyre but other than that it looks alright

the tyres on the back are cracked on the shoulder though. do i need these changed too?

bensonmi
there's a couple of small nicks on the surface of the tyre but other than that it looks alright

the tyres on the back are cracked on the shoulder though. do i need these changed too?

if they'r badly cracked and old they could poss want changing,best take it to a tyre place and get them checked over for peace of mind, its hard to say without seeing the car

Grim.Badger

If its a P6000 I've got a feeling that it will be an original tyre, in which case it will be like plastic by now, plus a dent in a side wall also suggests that it is old and knackered as the rubber shouldn't keep the shape after it has come out of the cage.

welshpug

probably a P600 not 6000 if its original :) I've got an unused MXV as a spare!

stimpysaurus

I did a search to see what tyres people on here recommend and the amount of types and brands is mind boggling!

Can anyone tell me how different tyre widths and profiles effect the handling of the car?

probably a P600 not 6000 if its original :lol: I've got an unused MXV as a spare!

It very well could be, i was reading it upside down cos i was too lazy to get up off my seat :)

TRYNKEEPUP

I have always said excuse the pun but dont cut corners with tyres they are the only thing keeping you on the road, wet, dry all weathers. so get the best you can afford. I have tried many different makes over the years, michelin, dunlop, falken, personaly i prefer yoko tyres for me they are a great all rounder.But other people prefer other makes for other reasons. Have tried a few sizes but for me 195/50/15 is best suited.

stimpysaurus

I can't afford to buy a full set of new tyres at the minute, so I was thinking of just changing the 2.

i was going to get the standard size which is in the manual and then replace the other two wen i have more money, but can i have different sizes on the front and back or would that cause problems of some sort?

the reason i was going to change the size was because i read somewhere that wider tyres makes the car aquaplane more (plz correct me if im wrong) and thats the main problem i have which i would like to solve or improve if at all possible.

jimistdt
I can't afford to buy a full set of new tyres at the minute, so I was thinking of just changing the 2.

i was going to get the standard size which is in the manual and then replace the other two wen i have more money, but can i have different sizes on the front and back or would that cause problems of some sort?

the reason i was going to change the size was because i read somewhere that wider tyres makes the car aquaplane more (plz correct me if im wrong) and thats the main problem i have which i would like to solve or improve if at all possible.

It is the tread of the tyre that deals with water, some tyres are better at dealing with water than others.

195 front/ 185 rear wont cause you any big problems, until you get a puncture and you might end up with odd tyres on an axle.