• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Peetypug

Gti6 Emergency

Peetypug

just a couple of quick questions

1, should anything from the shunt box be connected to the engine loom?

from it i have 3 plugs and one cable

plug one, brown plug, goes to the fans

plug 2 and 3, both black, connect to the light loom

the cable is the one that goes to the positive terminal on the battery, then onto the starter and alternator

2, as the 6 loom has both cables for the alternator, do i need the one that goes to the alternator to the starter then to the positive terminal or can it be cut off?

i'm going to take the whole loom off and put on here what wire is connected to what

welshpug

there should be one wire from the shunt box to the relay and plugged in underneath (i.e fused)

doesn't sound like you have power to anything engine related (bar the starter, which comes from inside the car from a separate plug on the shunt box)

Peetypug

its alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stupid me!!!

what i'd done is seen that the gti6 loom had both wires for the alternator, so in my infinate wisdom thought i didnt need the wire that goes from the shunt box to the starter then onto the alternator so i cut it off :)

as soon as i conneted a wire to the alternator and tried it, the pump primed and it started :P

a massive thanks to m@tt and al of you that have helped!!!!

the best day of the year so far for me :lol:

Edited by sorrentopete

djinuk

damn you pete, you was making me think about selling all and not trying this conversion myself , real glad its working for you.

Peetypug
damn you pete, you was making me think about selling all and not trying this conversion myself , real glad its working for you.

you'll get there mate, i promise

welshpug

whoops!

djinuk

what exactly does the shunt box do on the 205, is it a fuse box for the engine bay ?

Peetypug

afaik, it gives power to the rad fans, starter, alternator, then into fuse box via the loom where the lights are

taylorspug

The shunt box basically distributes power from the battery to the entire car, pretty much as Pete has said.

marksorrento205

Nice one fella!! Glad you got it running

djinuk

ahh , that explains why the little bodged wire which i connected from my battery to the bolt on that shunt box (as when i swapped engine i broke the wire), when i have a poor connection occasionly due to that wire being lose i lose power to absolutely everything.

Thanks for explaining that :),

M@tt

glad you got it working Pete :rolleyes:

yeah for future info for anyone else searching

the permanent 12v feed for the GTI6 loom comes from a wire with a ring terminal that attaches onto the alternator and that gets inturn gets its power from the battery via the lead that comes from the battery via the starter motor

davepug205

Whoo!! Well done mate glad to hear its running, shame I couldn't be of any help, Ill be doing my first one hopefully soon :):rolleyes:

pug_ham

Nice one Pete, glad you sorted it.

Nice & easy when you realise whats missing. :)

the permanent 12v feed for the GTI6 loom comes from a wire with a ring terminal that attaches onto the alternator and that gets inturn gets its power from the battery via the lead that comes from the battery via the starter motor

Thought I'd posted that bit in my reply but it must be on another topic I posted on over the last few days. :rolleyes:

Graham.

Sign in to follow this