• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Team BDR

Limitations Of Gti-6 Gearbox On Track

Team BDR

He, we've recently bought a 205 gti with a pug1off gti-6 engine conversion. The car was bought between me and my two brothers as a cheap way to do trackdays. We are slightly concerned by the comical lack of right hand lock and were wondering if anyone has actually had trouble on track with the limited lock? Were looking to do Cadwell park soon and are worried about the hairpin in particular?

My brother has researched gearboxes and seems to think the 6-speed is the box to have so ideally would like to keep it, however if its going to cause us trouble which is the best 5speed box to go for? I also take it theres no way to regain the lock and keep the 6-speed cost effectively?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

nick

Wheel spacers?

Nick

Cameron

Very much doubt you'll have any problems. You only lose a tiny bit of lock anyway.

Ajr

We don't seem to have lost too much lock with ours, but it'll be a problem for the MOT though. The xsara VTS 5 speed would be better for track use anyway IMO, i hate short boxes, much easier to have a longer range in each gear so that you can concentrate more on getting the lines right, braking in the right place etc without faffing about changing gear so often.

Guest Jamie1986

Don;t see why it would be an issue for an MOT?

Off topic but would this happen to be a Green gti?

welshpug

its an issue for the MOT because the tyre rubs on the gearbox on lock.

its not unusual to see scuff marks on the end casing of the original 5 speed boxes, add a gti6 box that is 5.5cm longer....

Batfink

you wont have any problem on the track. I never had any issue on the road other than t-junctions and I dont know of any circuit that tight. Just get a suitable steering rack stop.

Guest Jamie1986

Ah sorry assumed that it had been fitted with some form of lock stop to prevent this..

Seen it done a few times on Fiat 'cento's with 6speed box's as they have the same issues

Cameron

All you need is a jubilee clip on the OS end of the steering rack, that gives you all the clearance you need.

rapidcossie
All you need is a jubilee clip on the OS end of the steering rack, that gives you all the clearance you need.

just stick a 1.6 box in it!

Team BDR

hello all, thanks for your response.

we've debated wheel spacers (not overly keen on the concept) plus 309 bottom arms and wider hubs to increase the track to give more steering lock but currently decided the additional lock gained will be minimal.

The car is a laser green gti, started life as a 1.9, why do you ask?

Its fine for the MOT (i hope) as it has a steering lock fitted, i dont know by which method the range is limited as i haven't been under the car yet. I'm hoping that it has been set on the cautious side and that i may be able to increase the range simply by moving the lock.

I only seem to have major issues in car parks. The odd mini roundabout and t junction have caught me out but generally i'm learning a method to drive with the limited R/H lock. My two brothers are concerned about the lock after seeing me get caught out a couple of times.

I'm happy with the box and performance currently, unless the lock becomes a real bind i'm keen to keep it as it is, i'm pleased that other 6 speeders are suggesting it wont be a problem.

I like the suggestion of the Xsara box. The 1.6 box is also an option being considered however i have concerns about finding a decent gearbox (low mileage & age then unabused) I've also read about their inherent design weaknesses, people commonly selling diesel boxes as 1.6 gtis and then read other suggestions that manufacturers fine tune their gearboxes to work with the torque curve of the engine it is to be mated to.

Initial thoughts are that i need to get under the car and see if i can improve the current steering lock boundary, if this doesn't satifactorily improve the situation and my brothers still aren't happy, i think we'll have to go down the 5 speed box route.

I have done a little research but i'm sure there is plenty more for us to digest before making the final decision.

On the upside the interior got stripped today, just need to crack on and get the seats and harnesses fitted and find a cage before the 25th.

Guest Jamie1986
The car is a laser green gti, started life as a 1.9, why do you ask?

Nothing bad just think I know what car it is.. Was it from Towcester?

If so was a guy's who lives opposite a friend I had a chat with him and nearly bought it :)

C_W

Cadwell should be fine, there is no hairpin really, the tightest corner is more of a tight right hander. Tightest corners I know of tracks are Croft (but it's a left hander so no problem) and Mallory Park which is a very tight right hander but normally you don't need to put more than half to 3/4 of lock on, much less than you think compared with turning round etc

Garry

Cadwell is fine with a 6 speed box and general road use just requires a little forward planning by setting yourself up for the turn.

Its not right handers you need to worry about, its lefts. If the back end steps out you will find you will run out of lock pretty quickly turning into the slide!

Give it a go and see what you think, I would also suggest getting your 'new' box rebuilt if you do decide to change. Its not much fun breaking it and losing track time/ being stranded somewhere.

Sign in to follow this