• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
andyjstone

K & N Induction Kit Filter

andyjstone

I have a K & N induction kit, but the filter keeps falling off, is this normal and is there a solution?

Andy

jplautomotive

hi

i had one on a 1.6 before and that didnt , do you have a jublie clip on the filter ?

jonny

CaptainP

With it being so tight in behind the headlamp unit (providing you fitted it across the front of the engine bay) I'm surprised it moves at all. As JPLautomotive says, there should be a big jubilee clip that you tighten.

BusEngineer

I must say in the three years mines been on its never fallen off

Its only secured by a jubilee clip

dcc

time for a new one then my Bus :rolleyes:

andyjstone

OK, that could be the problem, there is no jubilee clip - I take it the end of the filter fits inside the main body of the kit and then the jubilee clip goes around the outside?

GLPoomobile

No. The filter pushes on over the plastic adapter tube and the the clip goes around the filter. I don't think it's a readily available size of jubille clip though. You might have to do some internet searching to find a big enough clip, or check with some local motor factors (measure the outside diameter first).

CaptainP

Here's how mine is fitted.

post-8703-1230996626_thumb.jpg

andyjstone

Well this is mine and the filter definitely doesn't fit around the outside of the unit, maybe I have the wrong filter!

Andy

filter.jpg

GLPoomobile

That's strange. Going by the shape of the filter, it looks like it's the right one, so it should fit over the tube! IIRC the inlet diameter is 67mm, so the outer diameter of the plastic tube should be about 67mm across, and the inner diameter of the filter end should be about 67mm too. It should be a tight-ish fit, but should still slide over the end easily, and without a fight. If it's definately too small, then someone has obviously fitted the wronf filter at some stage and bodged it on.

EDIT: looking again, it looks like the end of the plastic adapter has been cut. On the other side of the AFM (towards the left of the picture but out of shot) do you have a proper branded K&N rubber tube, or is it a ribbed rubber tube that appears to be cut to length? As I suspect that somebody has gone the DIY route with this (easy enough to do, to be fair) and has obviously bought a universal filter, but got the wrong size.

Edited by GLPoomobile

andyjstone

Yes, definitely a K & N part on the other side of the AFM.

The diameter of the plastic adapter is about 63mm, but the inside diameter of the filter is only 50mm, so looks like it is the wrong filter (if you look at the pictures of mine and CaptainPs, mine is clearly quite a bit longer), anyone know where I can buy the correct one?

Andy

Edited by andyjstone

Sign in to follow this