• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
andyjstone

High Oil Temp

andyjstone

I have a 205 GTI 1.6 and the oil temperature goes off the end of the scale after about 10-15 minutes on the track, on the road it is still high, but doesn't go into the red.

I read somewhere that this is quite common on the 1.6 as it doesn't have an oil cooler. Is it worth fitting an oil cooler or could it be another problem?

Andy

boombang

Did you check the oil level before and after? In my experience running anywhere below full can cause temperatures to be raised significantly.

Also what oil, and when last replaced, ditto for oil filter. Best to check the basics before spending out IMHO.

andyjstone

Already replaced the oil filter and oil - I'm using Castrol Magnatec

Amdy

boombang

I've seen the contents of sumps from Gti's and Mi16's that ran Magnatec and it had gone lumpy and left a thick white residue everywhere.

Specifically my old 309 Mi ran very hot, sump was full of white clumps and oil filter pickup nearly blocked. Took the oil pump apart and cleaned it all. Emptied all the oil out, filled up with Tesco Value and took it for for a long steady run. Dumped the oil when I got back and it was f***ed, full of lumps and ended up taking sump off yet again to clean out.

Thought all of this might have been to do with headgasket, but it was fine on compression test. Put some Halfords 10w-40 own brand in and new oil filter and car was fine from that day on.

Not an expert on oil by any means, but might be something to do with these "intelligent" molecules clumping around aereated oil / oil water mix. As the 8valvers are very prone to mixing a little water and oil in the breather system, I don't think the oil is at all suited to them.

andyjstone

Thanks for that, sounds like it might be worth a go!

Andy

Sign in to follow this