• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest jarrods

Differences Between Be1 And Be3

Guest jarrods

Hi Guys,

One for the Gearbox gurus.

What are the differences between the two boxes. I'm not talking about the reverse location or any different ratios between the two boxes. They appear visually identical on the outside and I have heard that the internals are interchangeable. Is a BE3 better than a BE1 and if so why. If they are better can any of the improvements be applied to the BE1.

My reason for asking is I need to rebuild a box and i have a heap of BE1 boxes. Should I be spending money on a BE1 or starting from scratch on a BE3.

Thanks

Jarrod

jplautomotive

hi

have you done a search ?

there is already a thread going about this some where

jonny

dcc

I know that many people swap from be1 to be3 to get away from the weak point of the clutch lever arm, because of the pulling action of the cable and the pushing of the pin, the metal can very commonly bend giving the feeling of a dud clutch. Personally, given the choice, i would go for a Be3 due to the simplicity of the clutch lever compared to the older be1 boxes.

As for the internals, after speaking with a few people, the only thing i was told that differs is the FD ratio, and that can be dependant upon what car the box came from. This is only what i was told by people who dont know for sure, but from what they could make out.

hope this is a bit more helpful to you

Miles

I'd keep with the BE1, There is less play normally in the selector fork's and making the change more positive, The clutch arm is easy if you have the later BE1 bellhousing as the BE3 type of Clutch Arm can be used which give's a smoother clutch operation and lighter too.

Some Gear's can be swaped from BE1 to BE3 but not all even thou to the eye they look the same they are not

Guest jarrods
hi

have you done a search ?

there is already a thread going about this some where

jonny

I have read all the current threads and couldn't find the answers to the questions I was asking. It also appears that you can't use the terms BE1 and BE3 in a search which severely restricts your searching ability.

Thanks for your help Miles.

Jarrod

kyepan

try using google to search the site

go to google and enter your search terms followed by site:http://forum.205gtidrivers.com

this should be common knowledge but isn't

Sign in to follow this