• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Uberderv

In Tank Pump

Uberderv

Hi,

I was wondering if the fuel tanks are the same throughout the 205 models including diesels? I know that some have a fuel pump inside and some dont but all seem to have two holes under the seat for the pump/sender etc...

I am looking at getting rid of the priming system on my Td and would like to know if I could fit the petrol pump in the tank to make it easier, if not I will be looking for a pump which will run at a pressure of 2Bar+ and if it fails it wont block the system if anyone can recommend owt :D

Cheers Pete.

jplautomotive

chances are it will fit in the tank

but i dont think you will be able to do that cause the diesel injection pump is not made to tank a pressure feed

and has a lift pump built in

jonny

Sandy

The single point injection in tank pumps aren't the same strength, but you can swap for a GTI one.

Uberderv
chances are it will fit in the tank

but i dont think you will be able to do that cause the diesel injection pump is not made to tank a pressure feed

and has a lift pump built in

jonny

The pump wont be active all the time it will be used to prime the system after working on it insted of using the manual pump.

Sandy do you know if there is a difference in pressure between them? eventually I will be fitting a HDI engine into the 205 and this requires 2Bar from the lift pump to operate.

Uberderv

I have now found a GTI pump to fit in the tank but the top ring appears to have bolt holes in and my DT tank has a different setup. I was hoping someone might have a pic of how the gti pump is mounted and one with out the pump fitted? :)

Once I have found a way mount the pump it will have to be modified with a bit of extra piping and a one way valve so it bypasses the electronic pump once the engine is running, but I will post pics for anyone else who is interested in doing it. I have also found the perfect inline fuel filter to replace the standard unit, the part numer in Halfrauds is HFF259 and its fitted to various Audi diesels.

Cheers Pete :lol:

Edited by Uberderv

McDude

I don't know about 205 pumps specifically, but typically diesel pumps and gasoline pumps are very different.

Gasoline is a solvent and needs seals that are resistant to this. Diesel swells these seals up and would cause the pump to fail.

Diesel is a lubricant so using a diesel pump in a gasoline application would mean the pump bearings would fail.

This is more recent thinking and perhaps in the 80s Pug just chucked the same pump in the tank - but I'd doubt it.

Uberderv
I don't know about 205 pumps specifically, but typically diesel pumps and gasoline pumps are very different.

Gasoline is a solvent and needs seals that are resistant to this. Diesel swells these seals up and would cause the pump to fail.

Diesel is a lubricant so using a diesel pump in a gasoline application would mean the pump bearings would fail.

This is more recent thinking and perhaps in the 80s Pug just chucked the same pump in the tank - but I'd doubt it.

Cheers for the info,

I thought that the diesel would be better for the pump because as you say its a better lubricant than petrol. I will have to try and find replacements for the seals in the pump if they are likley to swell and cause problems :D

For the moment I may just fit it and check every few weeks what they are like as it will only be used after I have worked on the injection system. Once I get the HDI engine fitted it will be permanently used so I need to get these 'simple' probs out the way first :)

Edited by Uberderv

welshpug

I would imagine the 306 HDi intank pump could be retrofitted into a 205 tank easily enough.

RossD

I'm not sure if I'm missing something here, but the 205 diesels don't have an in-tank pump.

Uberderv
I'm not sure if I'm missing something here, but the 205 diesels don't have an in-tank pump.

Yes the 1.8td engine in the 205 does not need the in tank pump because it has a pump attached to the main injection pump but I am planning on fitting a HDI engine into it which requires the lift pump in the tank.

I am getting these smaller jobs out of the way first, so when I finally pull my finger out and get the engine it should be pretty straight forward to convert :(

Cheers for all the help so far :)