• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
benny205mi16

First Start Of New Car

benny205mi16

Hello,

I have just got my first 205 started, It needed a new battery, then turned over and over and over without starting,

I then took a spark plug out to see if it was sparking.

There was a spark a while the one plug was out it tried to start, so I put the plug back in and tried again.

This time it now fired up, but the revs were up and down and would not idle, cutting out if no revs were given,

I have read about the lumpy tick over so was expecting this.

But when I turned the car off I can still hear a pumping noise from the rear, Is this the fuel pump going, and should it be or should it stop with the engine.

Also from the engine bay there is a hissing (like escaping air) this is from the L/H side as you look under the bonnet.

I then disconnected the battery and all noises stopped. about 10minutes later I reconnected the battery and the noises had gone.

Is this normal or do I have a problem to find?

As this is my first 205 I don't know what should and should not happen.

Its a 1.9 GTI. G reg

any help appreciated.

Tom Fenton

Pumping noise you can hear is most likely the fuel pump, with the hissing being the fuel being pumped through the filter and regulator and back to the tank.

When you turn the engine off the fuel pump should stop. The most likely reason for your problem will be the fuel pump relay (known as Tachymetric relay on 205's) is knackered and is sticking so the fuel pump isn't stopping when it should. If you replace this with a new one it should sort your problem. I would recommend you do it ASAP as sometimes the relay can fail totally leaving you stranded. If you take off the piece of the dash to the right of the steering column you will see the relay attached with one screw near the ECU.

benny205mi16

Thank you very much for your help,

I will check this relay.

Grez28

Hey ..

i had this exact same problem with my 88 F reg GTi.

Tried several known working tachy relays but it still continued to pump.

Whilst dissconecting the negative lead on the battery i noticed the earth points on the coil mounting plate were sparking so i gave it a little prod :P and hey presto the pump went off.

had a look when the sun came up and noticed the nut and bolt had vibrated loose so i removed them and cleaned up the contacts, put it back together and it all worked fine :)

This also sorted most of my electrical problems out like:

I would turn on my head lights and my wipers and hazards would operate :lol:

dead handy for when i was breaking down in the rain. :huh:

Hope this helps, Graham