• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stuRALLYE

8v Idle Problems

stuRALLYE

hello everyone, recently my 1.9 8v has started playing up at idle. when it is started cold it wont idle at all, it just cuts out, but once warm it idles irratically, sometimes at nearly 2rmp and others at 700rpm and anything between. it seems to have no real relation to temp.

can anyone point me in the right direction??

cheers, stu

Richie-Van-GTi

either an air leak on the intake, broken SAD or dodgy temp sensor. Run it till warm and squeeze the pipe of the SAD closed. If this stops the warm idle issue then the SAD is at fault. If not unplug the ecu temp sensor when warm, sudden over fueling points towards a dodgy sensor, failing that squirt wd40 around the joints on the intake to show up any air leaks :D

CosKev

Or could be throttle cable sticking/damaged etc :huh:

When its up at 2000rpm get out and open the bonnet and see if throttle is stuck open slightly,then check if there is enough slack on the throttle cable.

If the throttle is closed and its still sitting at 2000rpm then check your SAD/sensors etc. :lol:

Kennyb

Sorry to hijack the thread.........I have idle problems and when engine is up to FULL RUNNING TEMP I grip and contract the botton sad pipe and engine cuts and dies???

Is this a Faulty SAD?????

Cheers

CosKev
Sorry to hijack the thread.........I have idle problems and when engine is up to FULL RUNNING TEMP I grip and contract the botton sad pipe and engine cuts and dies???

Is this a Faulty SAD?????

Cheers

As I understand it yeah.

The SAD should close when engine is hot,sounds like yours is letting air threw still :)

Your idle speed must have been turned down to compensate for the air coming threw SAD,hence why it stalls when you compress SAD pipe :)

Kennyb

Thats what I was thinking too.....the idle screw has been screwed in to compensate the high tick over................I recall a post quite a while back with the directions to test the SAD and fix (maybe)......can't find it via search........can anyone shed some light if they remember

Cheers

CosKev

To test I think you connect 12 volts to the wiring plug and you should see SAD close up inside as it heats up.

Pretty sure they are a sealed unit,so no fix for them,just clean out with carb cleaner incase s*it inside is holding it open.

Sign in to follow this