• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Quigs

2lt Turbo

Quigs

hi all.

Right i've just taken my 205 2l turbo out for a drive.

i drove the car about 15 miles no problem then i gave it a bit of welly and there was a big bang from the exhaust (sounded like a big back fire) half way through excelerating.

the car didn't want to go properly them but it sorted itself out and boosted properly again, now since this has happened i can here a very slight knocking coming from under the bonnet (the car will still boost ok and still seems to go ok).

so at this point thought i best get home which is 15 miles away, on the way home i was trying to figure out where this noise was coming from,

the knocking gets louder when you touch the throttle but as soon as you lift off you can't here it from inside the car, now it doesn't seem to make a difference what the engine speed is.

also seems to spitting some oil from the breather pipe.

anybody got any ideas or checks i can do??

thanks in advance.

Quigs

Richie-Van-GTi

Compression test will rule out any serious issues such as rings or valves and a good inspection of the intake should rule out any turbo issues. Are you sure its top end though? Noise often travels and big ends can sound like head issues if youve not heard them before.

Quigs

right just taken the car out so a mate could have a listen. sounds like it's coming from the back of the engine, he said it doesn't sound like big ends.

also started to smoke now from the exhaust and smells like burnt oil, he seems to think it's the turbo that has gone.

would the turbo make a knocking sound if it has been over boosted and the bearing's are shot. also will not boost 100% now, i clamped the actuator pipe and it won't boost past about 0.7-0.8 bar.

engine seems to be running fine still.

:D first time out in the car aswell.

thanks Richie-Van-GTi for the advice will do those checks aswell.

Quigs

Henry Yorke

Check the air pipe from your intercooler to the throttle body. If there is oil i there, then your turbo might be on its way out. I assume you are not using a bleed valve and are still using the boost control solinoid?

Knocking from the back of the engine under load will more than likely be engine catching on gear linkages / bulkhead/ subframe or master cylinder. The smell could be hot paint or old oil.

Quigs
Check the air pipe from your intercooler to the throttle body. If there is oil i there, then your turbo might be on its way out. I assume you are not using a bleed valve and are still using the boost control solinoid?

Knocking from the back of the engine under load will more than likely be engine catching on gear linkages / bulkhead/ subframe or master cylinder. The smell could be hot paint or old oil.

i'm using a manual boost controller (spring/ball type) but don't think it is working correctly so could of overboosted.

you don't really have to put the engine under load just touch the throttle gently, but when you do put your foot down just doesn't want to go like it used too and seems to be getting worse.

the smell is actually coming from the exhaust.

i will go check the boost pipe now and let you know.

Quigs

Quigs

just been out and checked the boost pipe ( it's frezzing out there)

and yes i do have oil in the boost pipe, feels like it's caked in oil.

he's i pic of the oil on my finger, i only touched the inside.

Photo0342.jpg:D

Quigs

SeanO'Connor

Don't have a blocked exhaust do you?

Quigs

right i've just taken the car out again to see how bad it is and now it will not boost at all, so i think i will take the turbo off today and have a look at it and try another one on that i've got.

hopefully that is all it is.

Quigs

Quigs

took the turbo off and got alot of play in the bearing's, also the compressor blades have been hitting the inside of the housing so pretty sure it's had it.

will let you know the outcome once the new turbo is fitted.

thanks for the help

Quigs

rubyna

Been offline for 2days just een ya thread, fcking gutted mate hope it aint too serious? good luck

and keep us informed....Luke :blush:

Sign in to follow this