• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
BusEngineer

Mi/s16 Rods

BusEngineer

May have been covered before but im struggling to find it in the search, so here goes. .

Ive got a 1.9 Mi engine in bits that has spun 2 big end shells, im assuming the crank will want a grind and i would have thought ill need a set of rods because they will be ovalled. . . . wont they??

Can i expect there to be any other damage because of this?

Secondly ive got a S16 short motor sat in the garage aswell, can i use the rods from this or are they a different size?

All help greatly appreciated :lol:

welshpug

they are a different length, S16, i.e iron block Mi are 152mm long, 1.9 Mi16 are 143mm long.

you can never tell what you'll need till you measure them, they may be ok.

Anthony

If the shells have spun, then in my experience it is likely that the rod will need replacing as well, but as said, best thing to do is measure each rod you've got in several directions across the big-end and see whether it needs replacing based on that.

If you get stuck, then I think that I have a couple of spare Mi rods in the garage.

B1ack_Mi16
If the shells have spun, then in my experience it is likely that the rod will need replacing as well, but as said, best thing to do is measure each rod you've got in several directions across the big-end and see whether it needs replacing based on that.

If you get stuck, then I think that I have a couple of spare Mi rods in the garage.

Depends from time to time of course.

I have a T16 engine which had spun a rod bearing and the crank had actually broken in two pieces when the guy took it to the machinshop to get it machined :)

Anyway I gave the rod to my engine man and he ground down the cap and rod a tiny bit and rebored it, worked like a charm.

Cost me 50£, so if it's common avaliable rods I guess it's easier to get new ones though :lol:

BusEngineer

Thanks for the advice fellas, will get them measured in the next couple of days

pug_ham

A spun shell can also bend the crank so its well worth getting it checked while its all apart imo.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this