• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jtek

A Few Things I Learnt From A Parts Person This Morning

jtek

I rang a Citroen dealer this morning local to me with a few part numbers to quote on, and he gave me a few pieces of advice, I was wondering what peoples experience of these are?

Only use genuine Cambelts- Fair enough I suppose, you take a risk with pattern parts

Only use a genuine oil filter- His reasoning for this would be that the cam bearings would be destroyed in no time otherwise. I assume this is a return valve situation, but I haven't heard of this happening before? Does the Clio 1.8 16v item have this feature?

Only use genuine 'Equiem'? (sounded like that) spark plugs and not NGK. Apparently they are very sensitive to spark timing. Hmm

So what do we think? Sales Shpiel or does the man talk sense?

Cameron

Usual sales rubbish if you ask me.

The only one that sounds reasonable is to use a genuine cambelt kit as some of the cheaper ones use inferior bearings.

Oil filter = rubbish, spark plugs = rubbish.

welshpug

yes they are sensitive to spark plugs, but not to that extent.

as mentioned, nearly all oil filters have the relief valve, though if you have a friendly Peugeot parts supplier that you can get filters from in bulk you can get genuine for a decent price.

Fox

This oil filter buisness, I just put on a 205 filter? Will my engine die? Whats the valve for?

ablister

the 'Equiem' plugs are rubbish for the modern engines. I've had to replace 100's of those for bosch ones as per peugeot's instructions as the equiem ones are pish.

The peugeot oil filters are made by purflux, air filters by mann, timing belts by dayco/gates, wiper blades by bosch etc etc.

Peugeot don't actually make that much, just get other companies to make them and then they put their name on it and stick it in a fancy box

I buy everything genuine anyway as i get good discount :huh:

Tom Fenton

I've not found many aftermarket filters with the valve in, I always use genuine ones on my Mi16 car, with a normal filter it taps for ages if it has been sat for a bit. With the genuine one it shuts up in seconds.

omega
This oil filter buisness, I just put on a 205 filter? Will my engine die? Whats the valve for?

the valve stops the oil draining from the filter back into the engine not so important on a 205 as it hangs down and retains oil

welshpug
not so important on a 205 as it hangs down and retains oil

eh?! :huh:

ablister
eh?! :huh:

:blush::P

Mikey S

bollox, bollox and bollox!

gates are fine for use, as are continental, or dayco.

fram filters are fine, fitted thousands without a single problem, including mi16's gti-6 and 2.0 turbos, bentleys, ferarris, lotus's, you get my drift.

ngk plugs are perfect for them.

did you ask the parts 'advisor' ( :wacko: ) if he was on commision?

jtek

I was quite dubious about his manner, the conversation went a bit like this-

'So where have you learned of all of these faults?'

'been dealing with these cars for 8 years mate, I know what goes wrong with em, good engines them as long as they have decent plugs'

'right okay'

The plugs stuff amused me, he really thought NGK were awful. Which is pants. I did consider telling him about the Cambelt kit i just bought from GSF that had a Dayco belt and tensioner with INA bearings, for nearly half PSA price, but up until then he had been quite helpful so I decided against the arrogant cock route. And if i had said that then sods law i would have catastrophic cambelt failure :wacko:

Mikey S
I was quite dubious about his manner, the conversation went a bit like this-

'So where have you learned of all of these faults?'

'been dealing with these cars for 8 years mate, I know what goes wrong with em, good engines them as long as they have decent plugs'

'right okay'

The plugs stuff amused me, he really thought NGK were awful. Which is pants. I did consider telling him about the Cambelt kit i just bought from GSF that had a Dayco belt and tensioner with INA bearings, for nearly half PSA price, but up until then he had been quite helpful so I decided against the arrogant cock route. And if i had said that then sods law i would have catastrophic cambelt failure :wacko:

if he's been dealing with them for 8 years, why isnt he fixing them? scared of oil under his nails! :) i am also usually pretty dubious about people who can spout s*ite about stuff they have never even worked on. take his words as a pinch of salt i say.

ifcho

I always use genuine pug filters, they are cheaper than most aftermarket ones, sold here...(around 4Euro each from pug dealers).

Rom

I use geniune oil filters, because theres not much in price of non gen.

There is a lot of differance in quality when it comes to filters. I remember reading / seeing something on them a while ago, about how there made, qualities etc.

Plugs wise, NGK are fine as said. Ive run them for years with no problems at all.

He just sounds like most main dealer parts people tbh. They all say only to use their stuff etc.

pee vee

get an accusump. lol you can have 35-40 psi of oil pressure for 15-20 seconds before i start up from cold lol

no worries of cam wear there lol.

as for spark plugs damaging an engine?? rubbish, how!? lol

Edited by pee vee

16v205

I wouldnt be too concerned with what brand plug you run aslong as its within reason the right temp for the engine. Id be more inclined to spend 5 mins and make sure there gapped correctly thats all.

Rich

jplautomotive

did you know motaquip do OE oil filters if you ask just comes in a motaquip box but is a N2 filter

Edited by jplautomotive

omega
:lol::)

sorry my mistake had just serviced a 1275 mini got confused glad you enjoyed the laugh,rubyna,welshpug

Edited by omega

fletch

Hes probably repeating stuff hes heard. However perhaps he meant use genuine oil filters for the non return valves that are fitted. This helps prevent the head being starved of oil on startup.

marksorrento205

Funny thing about the plugs. I was in my local pug garage waiting for the parts guys to serve me and I overheard a mechanic asking a customer about his car that was not running right. The mechanic asked him if he had fitted NGK plugs fitted and spouted off on one about them before the bloke had even answered yes or no. I aint got a clue if they work or not just thought it was funny I had overheard the same thing this week :rolleyes:

Sandy

I've found NGK plugs to be the best on the whole, Super4s conversely often suffer infuriating misfires!

Ajr

I read an in depth review years ago of oil filters where someone had taken them all apart and checked the build quality, material quality and design quality, and found that purflux filters were in a world of their own, and you could visibly see from the pictures how much better they were.

Considering purflux ones don't cost much really, it's definitely worth doing! GSF sell them, or used to last time i bought a batch.

As for the cambelts you can usually get exactly the same part(make and part no) elsewhere, and as spark plugs go, NGK are very good, either NGKs or Bosch are perfectly fine.

Edited by Ajr

taylorspug

As far as the plugs go, the engines are very sensitive to plug gaps, so as Rich said you are better off just getting the correct heat range and gapping them properly. Also I personally dont use Super 4s, i just use the bargain basement copper core NGKs, and have never had a problem. The last set of Super 4s i used burned out and started a lovely misfire. What the main dealer probably mean is they cant be arsed to gap plugs, so they would rather fit something like Bosch ones which dont need it.

For oil filters i find the OE ones cheaper than anything else so i always use them. They are a better filter aswell though.

Sign in to follow this