• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gazzer

Gearbox

gazzer

Are all input shafts the same size and lenth, i ask this because my gearbox broke on my 2 litre petrol 406, so i got a replasement from breakers yard but found out by driving its of a 1.4 or something else because the ratios are different.it made a noise on starting but then fine and i thought it as starter motor but it turned out to be clutch pplate as it fell apart in bits when i had to take it out. so this is hy i ask?

Miles

No is the easy answer to that one, Same length thou

Not a surprize from the breaker's there, All they know that it's a BE box so could be from a 1.8 to a TD

welshpug

if the gearbox really was off a 1.4 it would not have bolted onto the 2.0 engine.

did you change the clutch when you had the gearbox off? false economy not to as you have discovered!

gazzer

yes put new clutch in and its destoyed it

welshpug

did you make sure the clutch fork fitted behind the release bearing on the pressure plate?

gazzer

looking at the clutch plate and fly wheel , it looks like the plate has been rubbing on the bolts on the fly wheel. i think euro car parts have sold me the wrong clutch kit as the sales invoice says for a zx td/xan1.9td 306td could i get my money back? or are clutch kits the same for1.9td and 2.0 ltr petrol

welshpug

sounds like you put the friction plate in the wrong way.

the 1.9 TD clutch is physically identical to the 2.0 16v one, nothing wrong with that.

gazzer

only fits one way round, the right way

gazzer

and if they are the same, why do euro car parts list different clutches for the 19td and 2.0 petrol at different prices

welshpug

because they can :P

I assure you, the friction plate can be fitted incorrectly, that would be the only reason for it to touch the flywheel bolts.

gazzer

could i put a 1.9 gti gearbox on and just change the clutch cable from pull one to a push one

gazzer

put new motoquip clutch in a nd still makes a noise on start up, now looking for a 2ltr gearbox, its the only thing it can be?

pugman211

look on the flywheel itself. Some cars have a spigot bearing on the flywheel itself. If that has broke/breaking away it will make a noise.

Sign in to follow this