• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
djinuk

Damn 205 Wont Start , Jst Clicking

djinuk

ok, my 205 8v has always had a small problem when starting, somtimes you turn the key and hear a click, however it does not turn over, usally i turn the key a few times and eventually the starter motor spins and it fires into life, however this morning its decided to jst click all the time, and not start, , im guessing its going to be the starter solenoid wire, but wanted other people opinions on this before i remove the inlet manifold to get to it. i can hear it click load and clear under the bonnet.

thanks

westy

yep, that'd be the starter solenoid :D

johnnyboy666

i used to just turn the key to second click then run a wire straight from battery to starter for half a second :D makes you look cool B) (except when its raining) but thats just cos im lazy :) and it seems to have fixed itself now lol

Mikey S
ok, my 205 8v has always had a small problem when starting, somtimes you turn the key and hear a click, however it does not turn over, usally i turn the key a few times and eventually the starter motor spins and it fires into life, however this morning its decided to jst click all the time, and not start, , im guessing its going to be the starter solenoid wire, but wanted other people opinions on this before i remove the inlet manifold to get to it. i can hear it click load and clear under the bonnet.

thanks

put a 4 pin relay in it. i have one on my mi16, it will never fail to start then. :D

djinuk

sorry, im not a huge electrical fan, but this 4 pin relay, where do i get one, and how do i go about wiring it up ?

Ok took the inlet manifold of, and check connections all was fine, then realised the battery is pretty dead, so its all on charge now .

Mikey S
sorry, im not a huge electrical fan, but this 4 pin relay, where do i get one, and how do i go about wiring it up ?

Ok took the inlet manifold of, and check connections all was fine, then realised the battery is pretty dead, so its all on charge now .

any scrap yard or motorfactors. just a 25amp 4 pin relay.

wiring is is easy. on the relay are 4 pins numbered 30, 85, 86 and 87.

30 is wired to a permanant live (ideally battery).

87 is wired direct to the starter solonoid.

86 is earth.

85 is straight from the starter motor solonoid wire (the blue one).

just add a 20amp fuse in the permanant supply and its good to go. :D

mike

djinuk

sweet thanks for that ill get onto it, any idea how it actually solves the problem, what part does it actually cut out.

Mikey S
sweet thanks for that ill get onto it, any idea how it actually solves the problem, what part does it actually cut out.

the main reason for the clicking is the poor wiring delivering less than the required voltage to operate the soloniod which causes the clicking. a relay is just a way of switching a low current to a high current, in this case your poor wiring to the better wiring of the relay which is wired direct to the battery. think of it as a switch. you turn the key and the relay switchs and powers the solonoid direct from the battery. its simple and it works very well.

Tesstuff

My Gentry has the starting problem but it doesnt click, so would your cure help that as well?

Sometimes i turn the key and it starts first time , then other times i am turning the key on and off half a dozen times to get it to start, but i hear no click.

djinuk

ah brilliant, yes that makes sence, im guessing them, from the solenoid to the relay and from the relay to the battery i should make sure i use some decent quality wire , to carry the current. ? am i correct

Mikey S
ah brilliant, yes that makes sence, im guessing them, from the solenoid to the relay and from the relay to the battery i should make sure i use some decent quality wire , to carry the current. ? am i correct

i use 26 amp cable. you can get it from any decent factors.

tesstuff:

it does sound like yours could benifit from this mod, but i would check you are getting feed to the starter motor before wiring a relay in. if theres no click at all it usually means that the solonoid on the starter or the igntion barrel is duff.

djinuk

nah i am getting a loud and clear clicking, as stated previously.

nick9one1

maybe worth checking the battery positive wires are tight. a click and no turnover happened on mine when i had disconnected the battery and been to lazy to tighten it back up.

shalmaneser

My brown plug post

quite a lot of people have narrowed their clicking problems down to the brown plug detailed in my post above being faulty. might be worth a look.

Having said that, my car is still clicking every now and again (better than before though!) so its not a guaranteed fix.

Mikey S
My brown plug post

quite a lot of people have narrowed their clicking problems down to the brown plug detailed in my post above being faulty. might be worth a look.

Having said that, my car is still clicking every now and again (better than before though!) so its not a guaranteed fix.

my fix will sort it once and for all mate. :):lol:

mike

Jean_quemener

hi just done this fix my car starts every time first time, but with one small problem, the starter motor keeps running, if i disconect the power to the switch every is fine but im not doing this every time any help would be nice

Sign in to follow this