• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hodgy

Gti6 Manifold Angle

hodgy

what angle do i have to cut my exhaust manifold on a gti6 conversion to make it fit my 205.ill be contiuing again around feb so wanna get everything ready so i can just put it all back together and have it running in a few days

DrSarty

I could be wrong, but I didn't think you needed to with a 205 '6 conversion when you use the OE manifold. (?)

dcc

Don't you need to extend the lower mount by 10-15mm in order to clear?

Fox

I got away without touching it, as above

Peetypug

with a standard fork mine catches on the bulkhead

With a 10mm extended one its clear

maxi

Take some time and do it properly. Bolt the manifold to the engine and put the engine on its mounts. Get under the car and see how much room it needs to clear (best to measure from the collector to the block). Then lift the lump back out, cut the manifold and bolt it back to the block. Measure once again to the back of the block, bend and then remeasure. Once your happy you have changed the angle (measuring confirms it has actually moved) tack it with the mig. Whizz the manifold off and zap her up. Bolt back on and then put the whole lot into the car.

To be honest, anyone who dosent follow this simple procedure is just plain lazy. There is much more satisfaction in solving the problem yourself than just following what some internet mechanic keyboard bashing wolly has read 3rd hand on the back of an instruction packkett for a conversion guide bought off ebay.

Give it a go, its easy!

P.S. Dont use modified mounts of any description, the engine must be mounted in the std position or you will go through driveshafts like they are going out of fashion, trust me, I have tried all methods.

P.P.S. Ive tried to write this as helpfully as possible and I am not trying to be arrogant or sound like a know it all in any way, shape or form.

Maxi

Spiky

dont forget to do something with your MC :D

it will never clear with a std positioned engine.

maxi
dont forget to do something with your MC :D

it will never clear with a std positioned engine.

Thats a very dangerous sweeping statement. I have had them all clear no probs as long as you mod the back rocker cover and the plastic coil pack cover. Every 205 seems ever so slightly different so to say it will NEVER clear is to be honest absolute horses*it. Do it properly to start with and it wont give you hassle down the line.

Maxi

Edited by maxi

Spiky

HODGY,

as you can see from my post, i was mearly advising you that modding the manfold isnt the means to the end and other parts need attention to fit the engine in it's OE position. i know you never mentioned it, i just thought you would like the heads up. :D

nick9one1

my master cylinder did clear the engine when i refitted it but so that it didn't rub I stuck a few washers under there anyway. thanks for the guide there maxi, I was already aware that you shouldn't re-angle the engine but not really looked at modifying a gti6 manifold yet. I'm actually using a XU10J4R so a 135 bhp version of the gti6, with the main difference being the inlet cam and manifolds. luckily the 135 manifold doesn't need re-angling!

djinuk

im going to re-angle the manifold when doing my conversion, but dont really want to cut the cam cover for the mc, so im going to try to space it with washers etc, want the engine to look pretty factory once in. Is it not possible to use a smaller master cylinder?

Spiky
im going to re-angle the manifold when doing my conversion, but dont really want to cut the cam cover for the mc, so im going to try to space it with washers etc, want the engine to look pretty factory once in. Is it not possible to use a smaller master cylinder?

not sure there is any smaller MC's you can use dude, ans you will lose pedal feel/travel

you can fit two instead

DSC05670.jpg

DSC05674.jpg

djinuk

hmm, i quite like that idea, will have to see how much clearance i have.

Alastairh

As Maxi said.

With the GTI6 engine in standard mounting position, MC clearance can be achieved safely with the standard feel of a Peugeot servo/mc. Just simply trial fit the engine. I had mine in and out 5 times on my own personal car.

Al

Edited by Alastairh

hodgy

well i started the conversion in november and all ive done is take the old engine out so its going very slowly to say the least. ive heard about extending the engine mount but ill go with the way a have read and change the angle of the manifold. the only problem ive got is i dont have a welder and i cant weld, my friends garage is about 40mins away from my house so it might take a while to get the right angle.

the biggest problem ive had is the thermastat.i bought one of those "conversion" things so i could use 205 pipes and it didnt fit as mine engine and pipes were phase2 and this thing was made around a phase one thermostat.

djinuk

u mean to say there is a diffrence between the thermostat's ? my engine is out of a R reg 306, anyidea if it should fit ?

richard

Posts that were in this topic are now under review.

They may be reinstated depending on the outcome and validity to the topic itself.

Any comments made will lead to warnings being placed onto that persons account.

Thank you

Richard

Spiky
u mean to say there is a diffrence between the thermostat's ? my engine is out of a R reg 306, anyidea if it should fit ?

so is mine and its fitted fine to my engine

M@tt

i have extended the lower fork and my standard driveshafts have held up just fine.

Spiky
i have extended the lower fork and my standard driveshafts have held up just fine.

mine was extended 7mm, did 10 track days inc 1250 mile drive to the ring

still fine :D

my engine is now in OE position, as i have done my bulkhead and braking as above :P

jtek

Hi Hodgy, I myself am in a similar position to you (fabrication only available in a workshop), and I also don't really have ready access to a crane, which is why I am thinking more and more that it may be better to rework the bulkhead instead. Spiky seems to have done a grand job of this and there are a few pictures of this floating about. While it seems to be a lot of work I just see it as a few minutes with a grinder, having a mate who is willing to pop out with a MIG and spend 20 minutes under the car and then some seal and paint. If you reshape it properly then there should be absolutely no risk of the tunnel taking a kicking in cornering or other engine movement, and you can afford to be 'lazy' and not take your engine in and out loads of times. If i do go the re-angle route in the new year then it will be a guess, but I will take accurate measurement and you are welcome to those values if it works, but this won't be until January however. HTH

Spiky

my picures are still in my build thread, if you need anymore just ask, and i can take more if needed, and take measure ments if needed :P

DrSarty

Without wishing to fuel the argument, I don't see how bulkhead modifying is an less work than reangling the manifold.

Remember I reshaped my bulkhead carefully with heat and a drift, rather than a cut and weld up, and only did it as a precautionary measure without a test fit. I never knew and we will never know if my 4-2-1 manifold would have fouled with the bulkhead (due to the XU10 block like yours being 11mm taller), but the bottom line is neither will you without a test fit.

I would strongly advise borrowing, hiring or buying an engine crane and doing a trial fit. I similarly would choose to reangle the manifold rather than muck about with the bulkhead. Your engine crane will never be a waste of money anyway as they readily sell.

Spiky

both ideas work :)

so it's personal choice :D

jtek

I agree it isn't physically any less work with the right tools for both jobs, I just imagine it is probably a safer option if you don't wish to be doing lots of test fits etc, and also with the movement of the engine, modification of the bulkhead could potentially remove any remaining risk of contact between manifold and tunnel that I guess could still happen with just re-angling. Having said that I know F.A. and probably given the choice I would go out and buy a crane tomorrow, but seeing as it's the christmas holidays now and Autosport in January, I am heading for enough financial ruin :)

Sign in to follow this