• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matty_gti

Refurbing Bilsteins

matty_gti

Hi all, well slowly but surely im getting all my bits done but having a look at these I am wondering if there worth re-painting etc as when they were on my TT I had no problems, just look a bit rusty and flaking in places!.

Let me know what you think.

DSCN1103.jpg

DSCN1104.jpg

DSCN1105.jpg

Thanks.

welshpug

how old are they? might be worth an email to Bilstein or SBC to see what they can do for you, if theyre as old as they look they probably could do with a refresh internally too (if possible, not 100% is these ones can be?)

Edited by welshpug

Miles

Christ, that looks bad to the extent they must be the worst I have ever seen. 50/50 you could take the inserts out if they are that type and get the bodies blasted and see what they are like then and go from there

Bilstein UK don;t get involved in rebuilds

Edited by Miles

matty_gti

Thanks for your input guys, I though they looked bad. Ive given them a quick bead blast and a wire brush allready and I can pick off those large flakes at the base with a screwdriver :) .

Edited by matty_gti

andychalmers

They look really bad, I would'nt really want to run them incase they broke. Plus if the bodies are that bad im sure the internals and knackered. See if there is any play between the insert & the body, then strip insert out and put 2 of them back to back and see how soft they are, if there soft then there knackered. You normally need your full body weight on only 1 insert to get it to compress. If you need bushes fitting I guess there about £50 per shocker, if you need inserts you cannot buy the fast road ones on their own but you can buy tarmac or gravel competition inserts which are about £110 each I think.

Sign in to follow this