• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
happygoron

Funny Noise At Slow Speed

happygoron

Now and again (though getting more often) I am hearing a fairly loud kind of creaking/rubbing intermittent noise when at slow speeds, such as coasting up to traffic lights or suchlike (<5mph). The noise seems to be in sync with the wheel speed, I thought it could just be a brake rubbing a little but I havn't noticed the car pulling to any side or any other brake related symptoms. Will try and record the noise in the next day or two if I can catch it happening when I have a camera handy.

Any ideas what it could be?

Chris_Mi

Slider type calipers per chance? My 1.6 calipers are the source of a similar noise, so thats why I am changing them, although I do see you have a 1.9.

Does it make any type of different noise whilst cornering, under braking etc.?

Now and again (though getting more often) I am hearing a fairly loud kind of creaking/rubbing intermittent noise when at slow speeds, such as coasting up to traffic lights or suchlike (<5mph). The noise seems to be in sync with the wheel speed, I thought it could just be a brake rubbing a little but I havn't noticed the car pulling to any side or any other brake related symptoms. Will try and record the noise in the next day or two if I can catch it happening when I have a camera handy.

Any ideas what it could be?

happygoron
Slider type calipers per chance? My 1.6 calipers are the source of a similar noise, so thats why I am changing them, although I do see you have a 1.9.

Does it make any type of different noise whilst cornering, under braking etc.?

Noise doesn't seem to depend on cornering, though seems to occour after braking, making me (obviously) suspect the brakes. Took a mate out today (I'm half deaf hence no directional hearing!) and he thinks it's coming from the rear.

Mikey S

sounds like the trailing arm bearings in the beam are seized. its that or the wheels rubbing on the inner wing due to them failing.

Anthony

Obvious things that spring to mind is to check the rear handbrake cables are still attached to the beam (they can come unclipped and rub on the inside of the wheel) and check that the rear pads are still all in the calipers and the pad retaining bar is still fitted - the bar can fall off and that allows the pads to work their way out of the caliper giving some very odd noises (and eventually they fall out, leaving you with no brakes for a couple of presses of the pedal followed by metal-on-metal!

Jack the back of the car up and spin the rear wheels to see if you can repilcate the noise, and look for any significant scoring or heavy corrosion on the rear disks for further clues.... oh, and check that the dust guards (if fitted) are still firmly attached and not touching the disk.

Shouldn't be the beam itself at fault as that was rebuilt not that long ago.

happygoron

Cheers guys, waiting for a spare few dry hours to jack it up now!

happygoron

Right, had her up, rear passanger brake is sticking, fun fun fun! Neeed to get new pad for the rears as well and have a better look next weekend. Any tips/advice?

nick

I have the exact same noise!! When trailing the brakes up to a junction there is a clunk...clunk...clunk.... that matches the wheel speed as you say.

The weird thing is that I have replaced the beam with a rebuilt one, it's got good wheel bearings and had new discs, pads and calipers and it still does it. The only thing I can see is that the drivers side handbrake cable has come unclipped, so I'm going to check that out as Anthony suggested.

Nick

Anthony
Right, had her up, rear passanger brake is sticking, fun fun fun! Neeed to get new pad for the rears as well and have a better look next weekend. Any tips/advice?

If it's sticking, remove the pads and check that the sliders on the caliper are free moving. If they are, then wind the piston in and out a few times to free it off and try again - you can get proper tools to do it, but a smallish chisel or flat-blade screwdriver suffices. Also worth checking that it's not something to do with the handbrake causing the brake to stick on, rather than the caliper itself.

happygoron

Right, seems to be sorted now, stripped down both rear brakes and cleaned them up. Couldn't hear anything on the quick test drive. Am I right in saying rhe retaining phllips screws on the disk arn't of vital importance, just to hold the disk in place to put the wheel on easier?

MrG

I think they're just there to retain the disc as once the wheel is bolted up, its not going anywhere!