• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sorrentopocketrocket

1.9 Running Off Cylinder On Start-up

sorrentopocketrocket

Over the past few months when i start my 1.9 from cold she runs off the cylinder for a couple off minutes.

After a few small revs she comes back on cylinder. The car drives perfect after this, she doesnt use oil or water and there is no nasty gunge in the oil so im hoping this is something simple or ill need to fit an 'mi16'.

Ive changed the spark plugs and leads (both bosch items), the rotor cap and arm are non genuine items but fairly new. Ill be happy if all i need to changed is the coil or ignition amp to get her running right.

If anyone can help with a diagnosis id be thankful.

projectpug

Check compression across all cylinders if the cylinder thats missing is the low one then thats why its missing. You could try connecting a spare coil and see if that helps.

Mikey S
Check compression across all cylinders if the cylinder thats missing is the low one then thats why its missing. You could try connecting a spare coil and see if that helps.

if it was an compression problem it wouldnt cure itself after a few gentle revs. i would be more likely to say its an igntion fault, maybe a plug or an fuel injector thats slightly sticky.

it maybe worth trying a good fuel cleaner and running some through it. dont bother with redex tho, its s*ite imo. i personally use forte gasoline treatment at work but its for 'trade professional use only', try ebay :D

mike

sorrentopocketrocket

I would be under the impression that if it was a compression problem it would be there all the time and not only after cold start up. Surely it would be more noticable when the engine is hot?

Think ill wait now until i bring it out for the summer and change the coil and distributor and check the injectors too.

Thanks lads for the replies.

DamirGTI

Swap the injectors around , mix them a little bit , in order to see if this "off compression appearance" will move onto another cylinder ..

But by all means make compression test as well ( on stone cold engine ) .

Damir :(

tagy

I had a similar problem, and some injector cleaner seemed to cure it.

sorrentopocketrocket

I was thinking about the injectors too. The car isnt driven too much and is locked up over bad weather, so maybe one of them is a bit sticky.

Cheers

Sign in to follow this