• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
vicious-monkey87

[misc_work] Vicious-monkey87's Progress Thread!

vicious-monkey87

Ok basically i thought i'd make a progress thread, partly to document the progress of my GTi project and partly to keep all my noobish questions in one thread :D

My GTi is a 1989 ph1.5 1.6 in Graphite and i bought it for £200 as it was SORN and wouldn't start by the key (although it bumpstarts and runs quite well)

It was missing little bits of interior trim and was in great need of a good clean (moss growing on it etc) but no signs of rust and apart from a few tiny dents and scratches it was in fairly good nick for its age! plus the rims were mint B)

This is the car when i first picked it up (towed it four miles using my mate's 1.1 106 lol)

photo329ik3.jpg

photo327yr4.jpg

________________________________________________________________________________

Ok so the first thing i did was give it a really good cleaning which made a massive difference! the red carpet still needs a steam clean but i was actually quite surprised at how well the dash came up!

BEFORE:

photo330kh2.jpg

AFTER:

photo334sq0.jpg

All clean, no moss:

photo331kb3.jpg

________________________________________________________________________________

Ok so the first thing was to work out why it wouldn't start on the key! after advice from various forum members (thanks!) i knew what i was looking for and set about cleaning the brown multiplug and also testing the starter motor!

When i connected the starter directly to the battery, nothing happened so i figured it must be dead!

so out came the k&n induction, the inlet manifold and other associated components (fuel rail, injectors etc)

The starter looked buggered, and even had a hole in the casing :D

photo342dg9.jpg

Strangely tho, when set on the negative pole of the battery and connected to the positive, it worked :huh:

Just to be on the safe side i've bought one of the smaller XU10 starters from a member on here, so when it arrives at least i'll know the starter isn't the problem!!

while i had the inlet mani off i figured i'd give the bay a good cleaning and maybe paint a few bits to make them look smarter! plus i was bored lol

so i got a nice tin of red heat resistant paint and after about an hours cleaning the mani was looking much better!

post-12795-1229106564_thumb.jpg

End Result:

post-12795-1229106628_thumb.jpg

vicious-monkey87

One thing that isn't really noticable in the pics was the condition of the plastics!

they had been sprayed matt black by the previous owner and were flaking and scuffed and basically looked terrible! after trying to source a full set of exterior plastics without paying more than i paid for the car i gave up and decided to refurb them instead!

so i spent an entire day removing the plastics (corroded bolts on the bumpers lol) and the valances and then spent a few hours sanding them and prepping them with panel wipes. i also used stopper to take out some little scuffs that were bothering me lol

I don't have any photos of this part but the plastics came up really really well, i've put some back on the car and i'll get some nice daylight pics tomorrow! i've also ordered new red trim strips from auto-five so they should be here soon!

__________________________________________________________________________-

Another thing i did to make the car look tidier was to spray the Driving light trims black, they were extremely rusted and looked really bad so i gave them a good sanding, then treated them with Kurust before spraying them black! they now look much tidier than before!

I also sprayed the bottom lip of the front valance matt black as it was scuffed at the corners! this sets off the black trim nicely and also makes the front end look cleaner!

After it had all dried, to finish the front bumper i replaced the rusty screws that were holding the reg plate on with some nice new screws and white covers!

I know its only a little thing but its really transformed the car for me, its much cleaner looking now!!!

post-12795-1229108982_thumb.jpg

post-12795-1229108999_thumb.jpg

post-12795-1229109011_thumb.jpg

post-12795-1229109021_thumb.jpg

TO DO LIST:

1. Remove Brown Multiplug and replace part of the loom.

2. Test loom for continuity

3. Fit the new starter motor

4. Remove the Rocker cover and spray it to match the inlet mani

5. Re-fit everything using new gaskets and bolts (Car should now start by the key)

6. Fit new red trim strips

7. Front wiper motors appear to be dead although it could be a wiring issue

8. Rear wiper needs replaced

9.Finish off the interior

10. MOT TIME!! B)

i'm waiting for some parts to arrive:

red side strips

xu10 starter motor

and a joblot of GTi interior parts i bought from ebay! has all the parts i need to finish my interior!

NOOBISH QUESTIONS:

1. i want to clean the fuel rail and injectors before i refit them, what would be the best way to do that?

2. the front wipers only move really slowly when they're switched on, are the motors knackered or is it a wiring thing? seems a bit odd that they're both doing the same thing??

3. In the boot i found a little black plastic relay with a red top, any ideas?

GLPoomobile

1. i want to clean the fuel rail and injectors before i refit them, what would be the best way to do that?

Don't bother. Unless you are talking about cleaning the outside of them to make them look tidier, in which case just scrub with petrol and a hard plastic bristled brush. Injectors should be sent off for ultrasonic cleaning if your are worried about flow.

2. the front wipers only move really slowly when they're switched on, are the motors knackered or is it a wiring thing? seems a bit odd that they're both doing the same thing??

Both wiper arms work from one motor, so it's not odd. Could be the motor that is duff or could be corroded spindles. Search for topics about uprating the motor to a 106 version, which will give you al the info you need to do this, but there's also one in which I explain how to strip and clean the spindles (very easy).

Rear wiper relay.

vicious-monkey87

Update:

ok so today i put all the plastics back on the car! it looks a lot smarter but the problem is that i now seem to have a bit of panel gap at the sides of the front bumper. this is also causing the front left arch to sit out a bit! its nothing major but it bothers the hell out of me :)

i've tried pulling and pushing and jiggling and all sorts of things but the bumper seems to be lined up with everything and the two bolts on the front are tight so i'm not sure how i've gone wrong lol

i'm about to start on the loom and plug now!

post-12795-1229182146_thumb.jpg

post-12795-1229182170_thumb.jpg

post-12795-1229182159_thumb.jpg

post-12795-1229182184_thumb.jpg

anyone have any idea how to sort the bumper gappage??

vicious-monkey87

Rear wiper relay.

what should this be wired to then as its just sitting loose in the boot! i considered de-wipering the rear as i don't like rear wipers anyway but because of the location, i think a grommet would look crap and i can't be bothered filling the hole and respraying it lol

vicious-monkey87

60 views and 1 reply? :)

GLPoomobile

So are there no wires to the relay? It should be held to the panel by a single screw and obviously have wiring to it. I think the relay controls the wiper parking, i.e. no matter what time during the stroke you turn the wiper off, it'll return to the correct park position. That must be it since the wiper has no intermittant or speed options, so there's no other reason to have a relay.

vicious-monkey87

nah its not connected to anything, it was lying on the boot floor lol

i'll have a look tomorrow to see if there is another one in its place!

Craigo

im not much help with the technical questions, but that is a nice little car youve got there for £200!!

Oakley

Looking goood, steal for 200!

I think i will spray my bumpers like that, they look smart !! :ph34r:

Keep us updated :)

vicious-monkey87
im not much help with the technical questions, but that is a nice little car youve got there for £200!!

cheers pal! i had a massive cheesy grin for about three days after i bought it lol

when i first looked at it, i thought it was in much worse condition so i was delighted when i got it home and realized it hardly needed anything to get it back on the road! :ph34r:

Looking goood, steal for 200!

I think i will spray my bumpers like that, they look smart !! :)

Keep us updated :)

yeah mate, i would definately recommend that bumper spray, its very easy to work with as well, no runs or anything!

make sure to prep the bumpers thoroughly as any sort of silicone or back to black thats been used on it previously will play havoc with the paint! get halfords prep wipes and clean each bit with fairy liquid, dry it with a heat gun and then prep wipe them a few times before heatgunning them dry and spraying! :)

vicious-monkey87

ok so i started to cut the wires to the multiplug and solder them together today.

as i was working through the wires i noticed that two of them were not connected to anything.

can anyone tell me where these need to go?

post-12795-1229613729_thumb.jpg

post-12795-1229613758_thumb.jpg

also, today i discovered that i suck at soldering, which is strange, because i seem to recall being good at it a few years ago! it took me ages to solder the connections together and even then, i'm not sure how much i trust the connections. i may have to get a friend to redo them for me just to be sure

jackherer
also, today i discovered that i suck at soldering, which is strange, because i seem to recall being good at it a few years ago! it took me ages to solder the connections together and even then, i'm not sure how much i trust the connections. i may have to get a friend to redo them for me just to be sure

Its not you, its because the wire is so corroded, nobody will be able to make a good connection onto that.

vicious-monkey87

tomorrow i'm going to go out and strip the wires more and try to get a cleaner connection to solder to :rolleyes: