• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dcc

Oil Pump Drive - On Crankshaft

dcc

should this be rotating by hand freely? or should it be somehow locked in place (ie with threadlock?)

i ask because if i hold my oilpump sprocket and turn the flywheel, there is no resistance at all, which means the drive from the crank shaft is not "gripping" to the crank.

is this normal? as i guess at certain rev's the crank wont be able to rotate the sprocket for the oil pump, giving low oil pressure? is this right? if so, i think i have a serious problem ;/

Tom Fenton

Install the belt pulley and torque up the bolt. This then clamps the oilpump gear and drives it. Not a nice idea in my eyes but all 1900s seem to be like it. 1600s have the drive gear keyed to the crank, much better!

dcc

<3 you.

i spent the last 20 mins working out why it would be like like, and came to my own conclusion which is exactly the same as your reply!

Crisis avoided!

pug_ham

As in my pm, its hit & miss if you have a crankshaft woodruff key or not.

If you haven't its clamped up by having the crankshaft pulley bolt tightened up but obviously this is very important because if it woprks loose or allows the oil pump drive to turn independently to the crank you'll have no (or very little) oil pressure & the engine will eventually self distruct.

I'm pretty sure that all the 1.9 cranks (8v & Mi) I've got have used the woodruff key. B)

Graham.

Sign in to follow this