• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
PUGPIRATE

205 Gentry - Throttle Position

PUGPIRATE

I've recently purchased a 205 Gentry. It was running fine - other than with a tendency to occasionally leave me stranded owing to the famous 'Sticky Starter Solenoid' issue that has plagued each of the 205 Gtis that I have owned. So over the weekend I decided to swap out the Starter Motor. I wanted to avoid removing the inlet manifold so I took the advice of a bright spark and removed the throttle body - and had to unscrew the throttle position switch owing to the fact that the dip stick for the automatic transmission made this necessary for removal. I neglected to note the original setting.

Unfortunately, I'm having problems maintaining an idle speed after a cold start. It was previously rock solid, but now stalls after idling weakly every time - no matter the position of the switch. I need to rev the engine to maintain a decent idle speed which is fine once I'm in gear. I'm tried multiple positions for both the throttle switch and the air screw but am getting nowhere. Any ideas as to how to get this engine back to normal? Its fine once warmed up - its only an issue during idling after a cold start. After its warmed up, the idle is ok too, albeit a little on the high side - stalling ceases to be an issue at this point.

Its a 205 Gentry so has an XU9J1/Z with the LU2-Jetronic setup. It has an automatic transmission. Haynes says it needs dealer adjustment - I'm hoping otherwise. Any thoughts, guys?

Tesstuff

I don't see you on the 'Gentry Register', how recently did you purchase the vehicle ?

Is it green or beige ?

Any pics ?

dcc

sounds like maybe an air leak, check everything is tight and secure.

PUGPIRATE
I don't see you on the 'Gentry Register', how recently did you purchase the vehicle ?

Is it green or beige ?

Any pics ?

Didn't realise there was such a thing! I purchased it just over a month ago - a week after I wrote off (with some help) one that I had previously owned for three years! Colour is beige - low mileage (38k), but cursed with a tailgate dent (that seems to be a common affliction on these!) and a poorly maintained interior which I hope to restore to its former glory during the coming months.

Tesstuff

You also have the cursed tailgate issue , same here!!

I put it down to most owners from new were pensioners who couldnt reverse, so they waited until they heard a thud.

There isn't an 'official' Gentry Register as such , but i like to keep a log of the models that survive and how much people paid for them etc etc.

One day i might make some form of website with the collated information i have, if i get time :lol:

The mileage of 38k seems almost standard in them, a high percentage of them have 30ish k miles.

I will add you to my list , and if you wouldnt mind letting me know the price paid , by PM if you prefer, i would appreciate it :P

PUGPIRATE
You also have the cursed tailgate issue , same here!!

I put it down to most owners from new were pensioners who couldnt reverse, so they waited until they heard a thud.

There isn't an 'official' Gentry Register as such , but i like to keep a log of the models that survive and how much people paid for them etc etc.

One day i might make some form of website with the collated information i have, if i get time :lol:

The mileage of 38k seems almost standard in them, a high percentage of them have 30ish k miles.

I will add you to my list , and if you wouldnt mind letting me know the price paid , by PM if you prefer, i would appreciate it :P

£600

PUGPIRATE
£600

As well as the ugliness, the problem with the tailgate is the creaking. My last one had a dent in the same place but I swapped the tailgate for a straight one from a STDT of the same colour that I drove 250 miles to collect about a week before I crashed it. The absence of said creaking was bliss. While it lasted!!!

PUGPIRATE
sounds like maybe an air leak, check everything is tight and secure.

Spot on. There was a leak between the thottle body and the AFM. I fell into the trap of looking for a complex problem when it should have been bloody obvious - as always. Thanks for the input!

Sign in to follow this